Marvel 101 (MvC2 ---> Newbies)

Actually team Angel is probably Storm/Sentinel/Iron Man as I can’t see anything working too well with Mag/Sent… Besides Rocket Punch, HSF doesn’t DHC from MT as far as I remember…

Edit: Also, can’t forget team Z, Doom/Juggernaught/Tronne…

ok cool thanks.Btw thanks for putting this up.:lovin:

Where Row at?

Row= Mag/Cable/Sentinel

war machine is third tier

and skittles leaks are real.

Listen new guy, if you think he’s 3rd tier, great, we don’t care. Tier lists have been done to death, and don’t state how you feel as fact. Thanks!

(You can still make it!)

Useful Articles for Beginners
Learning MvC2 Part 1: Engine Basics

Learning MvC2 Part 2: Counter Characters

Special Thanks to: Magnetro for providing the links

do you have a notepad version of this thread?

i’d like to read all of this at home…

Why don’t you copy and paste the thread unto a email and mail it to yourself from work/school/whatever?

Hi, newbie here. I’ve been playing for about one week, and I had a lot of doubts about the game. But I read almost every thread in here, and I’m learning very fast. I have just one more doubt, how do you wavedash? I just play in arcades, so I can’t test in home, but I’ll practice anything you tell me when I go to the machines to lose with the good players

dash, tap down to cancel the dash, dash again (with 2 punches). It doesn’t matter how you start the dash, but most people wave with 2P d 2P, but you can F,F, D, 2P

Just a little more info on wave dashing… The ability to cancel your dash with anything brought some to realise that it’s possible to make your dash longer by breaking it into segments. ParryPerson said all else you really need to know…

Assists

Upon selecting your three characters, a menu will pop up each time asking you to select your assist type, either Alpha, Beta, or Gama. During the match it is possible to control your other two characters who aren’t on point by using the familar, unused Heavy Punch and Heavy Kick buttons, or, Assist 1 and Assist 2. Assist 1 controls the second character in the list and Assist 2 controls the third, last character in the list.

During selection there are three different assist types (or other words, special moves) for you to choose from taken from catagorised groups. These can vary across the whole cast’s special moves, such as Projectile, Ainti Air, Ground, Capture, Launcher and so forth. At first in the game’s life it was thought Projectile was the best assist type because of it’s ability to control the whole length of the screen. But now this isn’t so, it wasn’t untill later it was discovered that a hand full of Anti Air assists actually gave characters maybe twice as many options, more than their entire move sets alone. Because of this such top tier characters became stronger and Anti Air assist has become a dominant factor in the game.

Picking the right assist type is essential. It’s a good idea to make sure you have as many options as you possibly can to play with, meaning pick two different assist types at least. One of the greatest fundementals in Marvel is controling space. The more crap you can get on the screen, the more space you can control, limiting the opponents options. It’s a good idea to pick a Projectile or Ground assist, to keep the area in front of you covered, making aproaching, pinning or simple taking control a lot easier. You can also use an assist at the same time as a normal attack, so you can be creative with your set-ups and paterns while safely keeping space under control.

Of course aswell you should pick an Anti Air assist. These have become so reliable it’s unreal. A lot of the top characters, hell even lower tier characters change the way they play completely when used with an Anti Air assist. Firstly, they do what they say on the tin, defend attacks from the air. The ability to call out an anti air attack at the press of a button is an easy task, the fact that while you’re in either a grounded, jumping or flying state, you can control both your point character and assist’s special (essentially) at the the same time. You can defend your self, you can set-up combos, you can extend combos, you can guard break, so many things you can do with an Anti Air assist, just at the press of a button.

Not all assists are good, but the ones that are, are more than enough to help get the job done. Honerable mention to:

Sentinel - Projectile/Ground
Magneto - Projectile
Storm - Projectile
Cable - Anti Air/Projectile
Iron Man - Anti Air
Cyclops - Anti Air
Psylocke - Anti Air
Captian Commando - Anti Air
Dr. Doom - Anti Air
Tron Bonne - Ground
Cammy - Anti Air

Now we know the theory, we need to get back to reality. For some reason Capcom designed the assist registration differently to normal, special and super moves. Oddly, assists will only ever come out on the release of a button, not a press. If you ever find that during assist combos or doing things like jump, assist + air dash over and your assists aren’t coming out; this is why. Always remember when calling the assist to quicky release the button to ensure it successfully comes out.

Not only is knowing how to call your assist important, but even more so is knowing when to call them. Like has been mentioned it is possible to call during a combo, but to make things balanced they restricted it to one assist per combo. Although, if your assist whiffs it’s attack, you can still call another, as many as you want in fact, but only as long as it misses.

Knowing what your assist does and why you need to use it is very important. Your assists are probably more vulnerable than you and if you call them at the wrong time it could be the end of your assist character. One thing you really need to make sure not to do is leave your self open when you and your assist are standing next to each other. If you do you can pretty much bet someone is going to hit you with the double snap back, killing one of your characters. As you snap out, your assist flies to the ground and can be picked up by an OTG. All they have to do from there is keep launching them untill they’re dead, not something you really want happening.

Depending on what assists you do pick, you’re going to have to work your game around them, which means you’re going to have to practice. Spending time in training mode can only do you the world of good. There are a lot of hard to execute tricks in this game largely revolving around your assists so you need to know exactly what they can do for your character. Ask your self questions like, do they knock down? Do they do a lot of damage? Can I do extended combos with them? Can I use them to land quick supers and combo? Can I bait and punnish? Can they be punnished? Just remember to be creative and don’t be afraid to try new things. The laws of Marvel make it a very open game, almost anything is possible.

Hey what can I say? I was bored…

No.U wanted to help others out and i find nothing wrong with that.

That thing about the assists was great, I didn’t know that they were called when you release the button, I always wondered why they didn’t came out when I wanted. Thanks =D

Wave-dashing backwards: don’t. But if you want to, do b+PP, [qcb+PP]

Works if there’s no special that uses qcb+p as its command.

I have more newbie questions, basically about assists… I’m not sure when you can or can’t call them. Can you call them during any normal move? During specials you can’t right? And while you’re dashing or air dashing? I mean… can you jump with storm, and press the 3 buttons at the same time to air dash+assist? Can you call during a pushblock? And what about an air combo?

Sorry if I can’t test it by myself, but I don’t own a console, I just play in arcades.

You can call assists either on the ground or in normal jump mode, but not if you are in hit or block stun or performing a special or hyper combo.

You can air dash in normal jump mode and call out an assist at the same time (PP+A). That’s a fairly common Mag reset.

You cannot call during a pushblock. You cannot call during an super jump air combo unless you are in flight mode.

no.

some characters like chun li, doom, IM can call there assist from SJ. With doom\im, you just hit rh w\doom and d+rh for IM from sj height then, dash and call your assist after the dash. You can AC with chun, end the combo with d+rh and once you recover, you can call your assist.