Makoto Video Thread/Match Critiques

I buffered in the ultra during my jump and activated it as soon as I saw him move, so it was pretty much an educated guess. He didnt change up his pattern too well.

This isn’t really targeted to anyone in particular, but I think one running problem I noticed with you guys is that you guys let your opponent off the hook too easily. You guys land a hit, and get a chance to shift momentum, but then you guys back off and give the enemy time to breath and build up confidence. I’m not saying you should rush in blindly, but stay close, and give your enemy little time to lick his wounds. Pressure isn’t always normallxxHayate, you can do other stuff like, nomalxxHayate CANCEL dash karakusa, jump Tsurugi cLPxxHayate cancel dashback dashforward, cLPxxOverhead, jump crossover/jump tsurugi mixup.
If it’s casual matches, you don’t HAVE to win. Just practice. If something doesn’t work out, then fine, you know that now, and your game stepped up that little bit. If it DOES work, your game just got leveled up without even trying. Don’t be scared of a reversal or 5, just go for it. You’re the one that’s learning, not him.

Even Daidouraku started losing once he let Desora breath, but when he started rushing down again, he would bring the win~
Note: I have the same problem, and I’m working through it too. =P

@OMNI88 WTF REACTIONS! thumbs up

I don’t feel comfortable criticizing someone who Abare’d Guile’s Boom Twice… It’s like going up to God and saying “Ya know? You coulda really done such and such better…”

Good shit.

But seriously, when Guile was walking behind those booms, you were holding your focus too long. Once the boom hits you, you need to let it go. You aren’t going for crumple, so much as just trying to hit him and keep him from going in to the “Life Lead sit back and Boom” strategy.

I know it’s hard, but EX Hayate to get in isn’t the way to go. I only saw you use it once, so I guess it’s fine.

All i can say is, when you get in, mix up normals with EX oroshi, tick throw, and IA Tsurugi more. Aside from that, good shit, sir. Clutch wins.

I’m definitely guilty of not pressuring enough as well, however my big problem with her is that she seems to be too reliant on her dash for closing the distance. I’m used to characters like Gen, Chun & Adon that actually have a fast (or at least respectable) walk speed, where I can manuver in and out of footsies and block as soon as possible. Once Makoto commits to a dash she doesn’t have that luxury. Right now if I get agressive I eat jab spam or some SRK reversal. Wakeup pressure depends entirely on your opponent’s character and their playstyle. I’ve been fighting WAY TOO MANY flowchart scrubs online that SRK me as soon as I even think about applying wakeup pressure, so I’ve developed a bad habit of not pressuring people as much as I should (online in general has given me some terrible habits :/).

In general I find that when I try to be offensive I end up having to play defensively because I find it to be very difficult to safely approach some characters. That’s just been my experience though.

Although I really do need to play some games and say “fuck it,” and go all out with offense–should be entertaining at least.

Honestly, I don’t think Makoto wants to be in her opponent’s face. You want to make sure to stay around max mp range. Dashing in and getting closer than that is only ok after you’ve conditioned the opponent to not press buttons through frame traps or just out right beating their shit down. THEN you can get in their face and start grabbing them.

The only time I think it’s ok to be nose to nose distance is after you get an untechable knockdown. That’s when you want to get in and press your meaties and safe jumps. But hey, different strokes for different folks, I guess. If you’re winning, then you’re winning.

For everyone relying on dash to close the distance stop it, either crawl (walk speed) or use her normals to close the distance. Trust me once you get in the range of s.mp here comes a jump, crouching forward, or standing poke. If it’s a Shoto it’s most likely jump or crouching forward unless they are really confident in their footsies (akuma watch out for f.RH). I have found that people realize for trying to do crouching forward I will IAT them on the head so they go to focus. You want people to fear that range and it’s hard if you can’t control them in the air.

If you take control of the air she can win the ground game for the most part anyway.

Thanks. All I used to play was Abel so trying to get in without a step kick has been difficult, so im trying to get rid of the urge to jump in or random hayate when I get frustrated. Im working on IA tsurugi and using her normals better.

F+MK at a moderate range and F+MP at a slightly closer range are good alternatives for moving in. I think they’re a bit safer (and faster) than IA Tsurugi, but you don’t get the payoff for landing them. You’re doing fine, though.

Watching Abare punish Sonic Boom makes me feel good inside.

thisssssss.

Here’s a couple vids of me trying Makoto out:

[media=youtube]zpEfYvs8IpI[/media]
[media=youtube]qZ5kFQodWBo[/media]

I’m set on trying to make Makoto (and Guy) work in SSF4, so I’ll be hitting up this Makoto forum quite a bit to learn from all the other players.

The play styles of Guy and Makoto are a big change from the characters I used in vanilla SF4. I used Honda and Blanka in that game but will probably use them again when I feel like I want to turtle it up. :sweat:

I’ll be on this thread A LOT! Come August, you guys are going to hate me with my flood of vids. =P

Here’s something I’ve been doing. I was originally posting them in the strats and match ups thread but, this place seems more appropriate.

[media=youtube]QbZpFQjWZqk"[/media]
[media=youtube]GxtPQEcStl0"[/media]
[media=youtube]ThrQkUsxMFQ"[/media]

The idea is to show a mixture of failure and success in order to come up with better ideas. I try to explain why I feel things are or are not working in these videos, too. Hopefully, it will show an evolution of my Makoto’s game play as well. Thanks to everyone who said they enjoyed them! I’ll see about getting up another soon.

I’m also excited to start seeing how everyone else is doing.

Yesterday after some casual matches with a friend we did a first to five set, both of us sticking with the new character we are trying to learn.

[media=youtube]mND3Zq9yNz0[/media]
[media=youtube]Kzy6EzZzDoo[/media]
[media=youtube]-v6HR4FwEE0[/media]
[media=youtube]2MKOrDHdlp4[/media]

awesome videos teben. especially loving the annotations. I’m a total scrub so it helps a lot.

Subscribed, Im trying to progress with Makoto, it’s proven a bumpy road so far though.

I’ll be putting some matches up soon… still loving the mak. FINALLY got some stuff figured out.

(Disclaimer - I didn’t really play much sf4 prior to ssf4 so it’s been learning curve… also In 400ish ranked matches I have yet to pick someone other than mak…)

I went from 78th ranked makoto in n.america to 34th ranked last night… landing both my first 5-peat and 10-peat (actually made it to 14)… doesn’t mean much yet given that most stuff isn’t even discovered with her yet… but I feel good about ALL her normals and ALL her specials right now. GOD LIKE all the way around.

Vids incoming this evening… really need the feedback.

Another vid against a Ken player.

[media=youtube]jSUjAwsjQ1U[/media]

[media=youtube]Yx2bQVyBa-E[/media]

Some more matches I had vs a Chun player (my friend), I did a lot of silly things in the match but he’s hard to make sit still.

Hey, great use of cr.MK as anti-air man. I know I need to train myself to anti-air better but I can never seem to find any normal to be consistent.

Its only a place holder anti-air for now, until Im more comfortable using fukiage. The extra damage and stun I can get off that compared to a regular normal is too good to pass up.