Main Athena Moves

A-Athena is the most useful Athena. Unfortunately, not being able to punish a Blanka ball (without running d.HP in N or K) makes me not want to use her. The jab psycho balls aren’t safe at all once when Blanka is charging with a level 3 either. RC’d or not, Blanka will get you if he’s looking for it. Same with Rolento and his level 3 tripwire. The trade off for being such a big slow projectile is that the startup time makes it easier to see coming.

Don’t forget to use the crossup j.MK too. It’s a deadly move that can lead to d.LK, s.LP xx dp+HP, super jump forward, CC.

The chipping the hcb, hcb+P super isn’t exactly safe, so that’s why I only stick with A-groove. There are gaps that you can be DP’d/rub supered during. You could probably counter an alpha counter by chipping them from a little farther than point blank range, but even if the opponent used an alpha counter on you, you just lost an entire level 3 while the opponent just used one block. I don’t like that trade.

There are better characters for N-groove than Athena.

d.HP on the ground is nice against Bison (his d.MK), but she has no seriously damaging way to punish the scissors kicks, outside of d.HP, which isn’t even easy in that instance. At least N-Ken can do d.MK xx qcb, qcb+K super when he has the level 3. N-Akuma has d.MK xx hcb, hcb+P super. N-Kyo doesn’t need the supers and can easily punish with far s.MP xx qcf+P chains every time too. N-Raiden has d.LK xx one, two punches, Fire super. N-YURI can do far s.LK xx level 3 even.

I think those characters are low-mid tier at best (Kyo’s the strongest one out of all the ones I mentioned), and even they compete better than N-Athena does.

So thanks for asking my opinion, but no I don’t think Athena is a solid character in any groove. You can beat intermediate level players with her (and DESTROY beginners), but there’s a reason you don’t see her picked more often and that’s because she’ll never be taking out any good players anytime soon (or the players using top tier). As long as the opponent is experienced in getting around the d.HP gimmick (ex. he knows how to use Sagat s.LK), Athena vs anybody is an uphill battle and not fun if you ask me.

(although I’m sure Buk and any other player on this board that loves playing the crazy, random, oddball characters for no reason will probably disagree with me. :wonder: I’ll stick with just getting her when I pick random select for fun though.)

Well thanks for the input, I’m sure that this little discussion will at least give all the information people need to know if they’re too lazy to thread through the other threads, looks like this one’s summed everything up save matchups.

On the level 3 supers, maybe A-Athena would benefit being placed first in that regard? On the other hand you’d have to deal with K-Groove. It looks like it’s more of a matchup dependant thing to me in that the important matchups vs A-Athena are all there is to be considered.

50/50 mixups:

d.LK, walk up, close s.MP, d.HK
d.LK, walk up, throw

If the opponent blocks close s.MP, walk up and do it again. You get +9 off that move, so the walk up is free.

as the other guy gets up, timed RC grab
as the other guy gets up, d.LK, s.LP (hit confirm)xx dp+HP

N-Athena:

What the heck? How is the air d+MK move (butt bounce) NOT an overhead? How horrible is that? You can cancel into the air qcb+K moves afterwards, but they’re so easy to react to and DP it’s lame. Anyway…

Free jump-in setups versus Sagat:

-Punch throw, immediate super jump forward, j.HK

The butt bouce also works, but what’s the point? You even bounce all the way back to your side of the screen so you can’t even take advantage of the frames you get when the opponent blocks. I’ve been practicing with getting j.HP to hit for free also, so I can hit with an air j.HP xx air qcf, qcf+K super. This is stupidly hard though, and so inconsistent that I’ve given up.

I want to say anti-air dp+MP, jump forward j.HK works also, but I can’t get this to hit for free on anybody other than Ryu and his four frame Shoryuken.

Against Sagat, I think it’s better to just run after the body and then roll to mix up which way you’re going to end up on like N-Iori can do.

If you absolutely must do a free jump-in after landing an anti-air dp+MP against Sagat, do normal jump forward, j.MK instead. You can time it to hit super meaty, but the butt bounce move gets in the way of the execution (holding down-back so you’ll block in case Sagat does wakeup DP), so I don’t like it.

d.HP anti-airs Sagat’s j.HK at every angle. Do it as late as possible like you would a Blanka d.HP or a Chun d.MP “tripguard” anti-air.

If you land the command grab in the corner, you have time to whiff a d.MP to build some meter before hitting with your deep, 7 hit dp+HP.

If you land the command grab midscreen, learn how to do running dp+HP for all the hits consistently.

The knockdown from the special move lets you mix up the guy as he gets up instead of just doing a jumping fierce xx qcb+K move after the command grab. If the opponent did tech roll, you have time to catch him with running attack also.

==========

(This is from an old post I deleted I but I’ll repost it here)

3/24/04

I really like A-Athena… but it’s too bad she sucks.

-She has one of those fantastic bunny hop style dashes that is not only very quick, but goes over low attacks as well. She’s tied with Kim as having the best roll in the games as well. 102 pixels distance-wise, 29 frames long, and only 2(!) vulnerability frames at the end.

-Her command grab is only 29 frames when whiffed. Basically, the opponent can’t do a thing about punishing this after they’ve jumped away, RC’d or not. It’s like Morrigan’s command grab or Akuma’s Demon super. If the opponent jumps away, I get a free uppercut. The only weakness to this move, and one of the reasons Athena sucks, is that the range is only a girly 46 pixels…

-Athena walk up close s.MPs are really, really good. The thing comes out in THREE frames, hits mid on all characters, and gives a ridiculous +9. It’s the same frame data as Cammy’s fierces. Walk up s.MP, walk up s.MP, link sweep xx psycho ball is alright.

-Close s.HK gives +3 and lasts for 8 frames.

-Far s.HP has good range and gives +3 as well. It hits mid level as a bonus too. Use it to beat your opponent’s low attacks.

-d.MP is a good alternative to fierce at times too, as it also gives +1 on the hit or block. Even better is that it’s cancelable though. d.MP xx psycho ball or teleport.

-d.HK is a knockdown move that comes out in 6 frames and is cancelable. Best used after close s.MP.

Athena’s rapid fire low shorts are awesome. Come out in 3, +6 on the block.
-low short x 2~3, super jump forward, LK or MK phoenix arrow right away, (opponent’s guard breaks), close s.MP xx HP pyscho sword, super jump forward, activate CC…

qcb+LK gives +5 on the block. qcb+MK is also safe on the block yielding +1, in addition to doing a LOT of chip damage. Guard break in the corner, CC, 9000 damage

-c.LK, s.LP xx HP pyscho sword.
The most useful combo Athena has off a crouching short. s.LP hits mid on ALL characters.
-c.LK, RC grab
The mixup to above. Again, the short range on Athena’s command grab only lets her grab after one crouching short.

Both lead to a juggling CC from ANYWHERE on the screen.

Corner pressure/“trap”:
HP psycho ball has very short recovery at only -7, exactly the same as Chun-li’s. d.MP is a 5 frame attack, again, exactly like Chun-li’s far s.MP. Therefor…

-close s.MP xx HP psycho ball, d.MP xx HP psycho ball.
You can stick in a f,f, dash, RC command grab attempt at any time. If it grabs, you juggle, then CC. If the opponent jumps away, you do a free MP psycho sword as they fall. Teleporting into the corner with Athena is also very fast, like Akuma’s teleport into corner.

(MAJOR EDIT: This doesn’t work. Use close s.HP xx qcb+HP, d.HP as your corner blocked string/counter hit fishing attempt instead. You get a free CC if the guy tries to jump out of s.HP xx Psycho Ball without air blocking. :bgrin:)

Speaking of a corner juggle CC…
-command grab, juggle with HP psycho ball, CC, d.HP x 5, deep HP psycho sword x 3, jump up j.HK, crystal bit super (4 hits), qcb+P (hold for one more hit), release (last hit)
Around 9000 damage. Looks cool and is easy to do. I stole this combo from the Japanese CvS2 book.

Awesome…:sweat:

From Buk’s "Tips of the Day Thread"
I actually did mean to post an update yesterday but SRK was down all day. -_- Anyway…

12/9/03:

I have a nagging feeling that I’ve posted this already, but with Athena:

Land the command grab, dash/roll, crystal super. Immediately cancel into the finger pointy thingie (which hits) and then release the fireball (which also hits). Then throw a regular jab fireball and immediately roundhouse teleport afterwards.

What happens from there is that your opponent has to block the fireball right when they get up. The guard stun is long enough so that by the time you finish teleporting behind your opponent you can block combo something. The timing’s a little tight to block combo off of the fireball, but the hefty frame advantage is still enough to beat whatever your opponent tries to stick out. From here you can do a simple low short/command grab mix up.

This set up is good for several reasons:

• It’s almost totally safe. Since you’re teleporting in, wake up supers/uppercut/RCs will go right past you. Things like Ryu’s level 3 hurricane kick super will probably hit you though.

• Since you hit with a super, the set up is non-tech rollable.

• Somebody who tries to slow-get up will actually mess themself up more. Not only will the fireball still connect, but they’ll have to block it the other way since Athena will have crossed up the opponent by then. The frame advantage from the fireball will be way higher also since it hit a lot meatier.

In short, totally free attacking after landing a command grab. Do you need anything more?

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention if the fireball hits the opponent you can combo after it

I just want to say …

st mp, link cr rh into command grab is good. Gives you enough time to set up a cross up with her air qcb+k move. I’d prefer cancelling it into a command grab that fireball.

didn’t realize d.HK cancels. That’s kinda cool.