Mai tips and tricks

you could also do this…
jump in hk,re-jump hp qcb super!!!

Haven’t seen Mai’s stuff too interesting lately.

basics…
C.hp(connect)xx hcf+k(otherwise pretty much useless) does corpse hop.
s.mk goes over low fireballs and low attacks.
s.hp is antiair.
d,u+p is safer than midair qcb+p.
b/b = c.lkx3, qcf+p

Bear in mind, of course, that the wall bounce in the charge version of Musasabi no Mai can ‘whiff’ if the opponent moves so that the screen scrolls away from the ‘wall’ Mai was leaping to. Just a tidbit for moderate-skill idiots like myself. :slight_smile:

I don’t use the charge MnM that much for that reason, so I’m not sure how bad the recovery is on a faulty wall bounce, or how much backward momentum Mai retains after missing the wall, so I can’t comment on the move’s potential to turn from a screw-up into a bait/escape/whatever. Maybe one of the other fine fellows in this thread can do just that.

best mai move is fan throw, reason is…
ONLY TO WATCH HER TAKE A FAN OUT OF HER TOP!

when i use mai, i only poke, trip, fan throw on their wake up…nothing much else besides simple combos and stuff every other character can do…

the only thing i think that’s really special about mai is the two things located somewhere between her head and her waist:p

c lk stlp cmp qcb p in real close:eek: good for jump in wiffs

The recovery time is not too hot for Mai. I use that move a bit, and I usually end up paying for it. If she could control what wall she went to, it would increase the usefulness of her charged MnM. I always do her air one simply because it can give breathing room. I only use the charged one if I know that I’m far enough from a wall so that she can dodge fireballs or play mindgames with any opponents.

well i really only use mai in a groove. pretty easy a groove combo, and dows some good damage. i basically play mai as a turtler. like most people said, s.hp is a good anti air. if they try to cross you up, do a jumping hp. that is my anti air for crossups. as far as combos go, i stick to the simple shit. j.rh, c.hp, qcb p. that’s really the only combo i use, since i am usually running away with mai. that’s all i can think of for now. i’ll post more when i can think of them. 2:30 am and tired as fuck from evo

i dunno depending on some characters its not that hard to rush down with Mai. Jumping to cr. short short are good pokes and cant get uppercutted unless timed right.

I play her both ways anyways

What are her good and bad match ups if any? Thanks:)

i dont really know about bad matchups it all the depends in ure opp but i usally have trouble with cammy…blanka…
other than that im ok…

the only bad matchups i can see bad for her is a rush down shoto and cammy.

just press down hp…it’ll buff camy’s atacks sometime’s!!

d+hp leaves u open unless u follow it up.

Actually Mai vs Shotos is not too bad.

If Mai has meter, she can alpha counter to escape the string, and then resume her runaway strats.

Shotos find it hard to punish Mai’s runaway wall dives, the best they can offer is a correctly timed air hurricane, or maybe a shinkyuhadoken… but these are risky and leave them open for punishment.

Anyway, Mai can easily jump or roll through a mis-timed fireball, and since they cant beat her st.hp with jumping attacks, Shoto’s options are limited. Unless youre facing an RC Ken, Shotos will find it hard to get in close.

A good offensive strat when facing shotos is to bait anti-air attempts. Mai’s jump is quite quick, and can be deceiving. Otherwise just throw fans and grind em down.

Cammy: I agree, this is a tough match for Mai. RC spiral arrows kill her fan throwing, not to mention st’hk which outranges Mai’s cr.hk… actually a good option is to do the the old dash, cr.rh. Other than that, maybe some RCd qcb+lp… dunno. Tough one.

shotos can rush mai down pretty bad. If she rolls through a normal fireball chances are she might get thrown. Escaping it is not a problem, its the fact of what a shoto follows up with.

And they can kinda stop it with a timed DP.

yeah dhp and follow up qcbmp… but depending
on how far ure opp is then fuck him up!!either way
its a dope hit!!!

also for anti-air i use duhp she does that flame move.
i dont really recomended but if ure opp jumps allot
then use that!it can also go through supers if timed!!

qcb+punch for anti air, yeah. I use it for the knockdown. Have to be careful though, its more of a forward angle, while her standing fierce aims a little more upward. Know which one to use.

Mai is a good offensive character, but don’t forget that her moves implement a defensive strategy. She can go over ground attacks with her standing forward … with her crouching forward she can go over high’s and if timed correctly SOME mid’s. Very important …

I use her crouching forward as a poke from max range. I don’t see a lot of players use it but I see it as useful.

Her BnB is standing jab, crouching fierce xx ryuu enbuu. You can tell by the crouching fierce if your opponent will block, if so just throw a fan instead of ryuu enbuu. Its very easy to combo on reaction and tell the difference.

Also don’t forget about her Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi. The elbow lunge is a good way of making some distance from any person who likes to jump at you. It’s not a very effective anti-air. Just more of an evasion tactic.

Just thought to add that.

-NinjMai

I was trying to do c.lkx3, s.lk xx qcb,hcf +hk combo, but the second kick didn’t come out and did qcb+lk, qcd+lk, qcf+lk which made out to be a c.lkx2 into super combo. I think it may be easier to do than c.lkx3 into super

This is just a curious question to any other Mai players out there, but what groove do you all generally use for Mai?

Personally, I use her in P because the parry does add a degree of aid to her bad defense. It also makes her considerably threatening to know that she can parry, then do her maximum CHSB.

-NinjMai