"Let's Make Mama Proud!" A Blanka Research Thread

Does a decent amount of damage for a solo combo if you don’t want to tag out, especially since electricity has such short range. He’s such a solid point character though that I don’t use to many solo combos, just hit confirm into launch.

I find it funny that Kuma got his anti-airs buffed, and blanka still doesnt even have low-mp as anti-air. My future awe inspiring team of kuma-blanka looks like it might never be anything worth talking about.

Lol, I still have never even played blanka in sfxt.

Whats a DLC character again?

Yeah, Blanka still doesn’t have any ground decent normal anti air lol… he seems to be completely forgotten, poor Blanka. :frowning:

Honestly they’re so inconsistent with their patch notes, I wouldn’t be surprised if they gave him a stealth buff.

If they don’t though we’re just going to have to rely on either making sure we have a down charge, jumping around like a maniac with j.HK/HP, or just be at a range where st.HK/cr.HP will connect.

Yes, that’s Blanka’s role. Give him a speedgem, and constantly be on the move.
When you can hit them, go into launcher.

If you got a lifelead, hop back and keep that downcharge.

As an anchor I got Kuma or Jack, let them do the damage. Although such simple combo’s can be created with HP XXX Electricity

His anti-air in this game isn’t crouching medium punch, it’s far standing medium kick. It works with the right spacing and timing. You can’t use it for really powerful angular jump-ins like Chun Li’s roundhouse or Vega’s fierce, but for normal horizontal jump-ins it works. His air to air is pretty great otherwise, most of his punch normals are amazing air to airs - neutral jumping fierce basically always works from the right distance, early diagonal jumping fierce is a great surprise that leads to huge damage if you counterhit, diagonal jumping medium punch and jab both have amazing air to air priority.

If you’re feeling cheeky you can react to a jump-in with down PPP cancel into electricity.

some setups:

After any combo into upball, immediately H horizontal ball and it’ll cross up. you can tag for a good mixup if they block, but at that point they’d probably just autocorrect DP.

After f throw, whiff cr. HP, then H horizontal ball and it’ll cross up.

The chip infinite can be easily set up with dudley by tag canceling H machinegun blow, hopping over, and starting with M electricity.

Some chip infinite setups (you know they work if the character is turned around when you start M electricity)

After sweep:

1. (staying put), slight walk forward, hop forward, M electricity.
  2. (rolling) pretty much whiff anything and do M electricity. They’ll roll into the infinite.

After f throw:

1. (staying put) When you see Blanka crouch, hop forward, hop forward, M electricity
  2. (staying put) Dash forward, slight walk back, hop forward, M electricity. (slightly harder to time than setup 1, but less likely to make them roll because of the walk back)

Someone please try to help me find a setup for the chip infinite from back throw.

Some mixups after forward throw in this video. Crossup ball vs. fake crossup. If they roll and you start with M or H electricity after your whiffed cr.hp, they’re in the chip infinite (which if anyone doesn’t know how it works, you link M electricity which is +9 on block, 8 frame startup)

Empty jump low setup

Yeah, his cross-up balls are prety awesome as well as his jumping arc.

Just tested to find that cl.hp xx forward hop is -4 on block. Still ok though.

cr.mk xx forward hop is -7 on block. far lp xx forward hop is horribly negative as you all know.

It always takes me about 3 rounds to remember that Blanka can cancel his cl HP now :slight_smile:

so much time to cancel it into elec. or an ex-hori-ball.

Is there any use for st.hk? It lifts the opponent up, but I couldn’t find a really good use for it.

Hit it in a corner, and follow-up with cr. mk, cr. mk XXX upball/super/cross-art

So I’m fairly new to sfxt blanka but I have playing him a lot recently. How do you deal with Jin, more specifically Swaying Willow during pressure? Advice is much appreciated.

Stay out of sweep range, but within amazon river range.
Play footsies, and try to surprise him with a J.HP in the air (Always charge for a counter attack, even try to bait one of his projectiles this way). It’s one of the few moves that can actually beat Jin J.HK if your timing is correct.

But just try a cross-up or go for some hop-shenanigans into a launcher.
It’s a bad match-up for Blanka because he’s so goddamn safe in everything he does. Blanka can punish with his normals, but has no way to actually keep someone under pressure.

Thank you. With some testing earlier, you can jab pressure and raw launch Swaying Willow actually. It takes some practice but is doable.