Last Blade 2 Character Guides/Advanced System thread

How you play Moriya depends on whether you’re using the teleport glitch.
I would highly recommend that you learn how to play him without it first. Otherwise all you’ll have is mindless rush-down/keep-away, and you’ll get wrecked by better players.

He’s best on speed mode.
He has tons of mix-up options and damaging combos with it, and he cancel in and out of his 'port easily.
This guide’s going to be a little harder to write, because a lot of his advanced stuff revolves around using his teleport properly, and his combos are probably the most complex in the game (Lee and Zantetsu taking 2nd and 3rd place respectively).
That being said, if you’re not using the glitch, he’s a decent starting character.

Teleport glitch

Right after the teleport, quickly hit :snka::snkc: together.
If you do it correctly, he won’t say anything, and he’ll have 0 recovery on the teleport (He’ll be able to move right away).
This only works for the :snka: and :snkb: variations.

:l::db::d: :snka: goes to the far end of the screen behind you.
:l::db::d: :snkb: goes right to the opponent.
:l::db::d: :snkc: goes directly behind the opponent.

Stuff unique to him

:df::snka: (Can’t cancel into this from :snkb:)
You can shorten the recovery on his :qcb: slashes by tapping the buttons multiple times, and cancel the move completely by pressing :snkd:

Power

:l::snka: :l::snka: > :qcb::snkb:/:qcb::snkc:
:l::snka: :l::snka: > :dp::snka:/:snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :l::snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :l::snkb: > :r::hcf::snkb:
:d::snkc: :l::snka::snkc: :l::snka: > :qcb::snkb:/:qcb::snkc:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :r::snkc: > :r::hcf::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :r::snkc: > :qcb::snka:/:snkb: (Hold, late release)
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :r::snkc: > Dash-in :snka: > Mix-up
(Corner only) :uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :r::snkc: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
(Corner only) :uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: > (Late) :r::hcf::snka::snkb:)
(Corner only) :uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: > (Somewhat early) :qcb::snka: > :dp::snka:

Edit:

:l::snka:, :l::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:d::snkc: :l::snka:, :l::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :l::snkb: > :l::db::d::snkb: (:snka::snkc:) > :l::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :l::snkb: > :qcf::snka:, :qcb::snka: (:snkd:) > :l::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:uf::snka:/:snkb:/:snkc: > :l::snkb: > :qcf::snka:, :qcf::snka: > :qcb::snka:
This is your primary set-up for teleport punishing in power mode. Just 'port in after they get launched and punish if they recover. You can’t do much besides :l::snka: > :qcb::snkb: or something though.

Speed

You cannot cancel into his :snkb::snkc: from :snka::d::snka: or :snka::snka:. This because he already has a special overhead and him having 2 overheads to combo into would make things extremely gay.

:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: > :dp::snka: > :dp::snkb:
(I prefer to just skip the first :l::snka: part for the added range/simplicity).
(You can technically link another :l::snka: at the beginning, but it’s not really worth it unless you’re showing off or something).

*:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :df::snkc: > :qcb::snkc::snkc: (Fail-safe in case the :df::snkc: gets blocked. Mashing :snkc: (in a controlled fashion) eliminates some of the recovery from the special)
*:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :df::snka: > :dp::snka: > :dp::snkb:
(Mix it up with these two)

:d::snka: > :dp::snka:
:d::snka: > :qcb::snkc::snkc:
:d::snkc: > :dp::snka:
:d::snkc: > :qcb::snkc::snkc:
:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: :snkb: > :snkb::snkc: > :qcb::snkb:
:d::snkc: > :l::snka::snkc: :snka: :snka: :d::snka: :snkb: > :snkb::snkc: > :qcb::snkb:
OR
> :qcf::snka: > :qcf::snka: > :dp::snka: > :dp::snkb: after the first :snkb:

(Activate speed combo :d::d::snka:/:snkb:)
:snka: :snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc: :d::snka: :d::snkc: > :r::snkb::snkc: > (Quickly cancel into) :l::db::d: :snkc: > :dp::snka: > :dp::snkb:
(Corner only) (Activate speed combo :d::d::snka:/:snkb:)
:snka: :snkb: :snkc: :d::snkc: :d::snka: :d::snkc: > :r::snkb::snkc: > (Somewhat early) :qcb::snka: > (Late) :dp::snka: > :dp::snkb:

EX

:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :snkb: > :qcf::snka: > :r::hcf::snka::snkb:
:l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :snkb: > :r::hcf::snkb:

Tactics

Teleport Glitch Tactics 1

Ok, here’s where things get complicated. If you’re using the teleport glitch, you’re going to want to be using his :snkc: to hit downed opponents most of the time, not his :df::snkb:. This is because you can cancel into his teleport from it.
After any successful knockdown, you’ll want to run in, hit them with :snkc:, then cancel into either the :snka: or :snkb: teleports to get the mind-games going.

One of my favourites is:

(Knockdown) > Dash-in > :snkc: > (Wait half a second for them to try something)
:l::db::d: :snkb: (:snka::snkc:) > :l::db::d: :snka: (:snka::snkc:) > :l::db::d: :snkb: (:snka::snkc:) > Then either:
Dash-in throw
Jump straight up > Dash-in throw
One of the speed combos listed above
Jump-in, then continue into one of the speed combos listed above
Block if you think they’re going to try and DP/poke you.

You can create any number of variations on this.

Teleport Glitch Tactics 2

Another thing you can do with the teleport that adds to his broken-ness is using it as a way to punish ground recoveries. The same principle that applies to the knockdowns applies here, only this time, after a knockdown, when you teleport in to follow-up after the :l::db::d: :snkb: (:snka::snkc:), quickly dash-in and hit :l::snka: and then follow-up into the :snka: :d::snka: :snkb: > :snkb::snkc: > :qcb::snkb: combo. From there, you can either dash-in again to punish another recovery, or if he doesn’t, use :snkc: and start the mind-games again. You have to guess beforehand whether they’re going to recover or not though.
This will only work with :l::snka:.
:snka: isn’t fast enough to hit.

Teleport Glitch Tactics 3

One last nasty thing about it is that it essentially allows you to end all your combos safely (if you don’t get red parried or guard cancelled anyway).
Any normal can be cancelled with the :l::db::d::snka:/:snkb: (:snka::snkc:) teleport essentially giving you more mix-up options as well as a safe ender/getaway.

A favourite is:
(Blocked) :l::snka: :snka: :d::snka: > :df::snkc: > :l::db::d::snkb: (:snka::snkc:) > Dash-in throw.
(If they’re in the corner, make sure you throw them back “into” the corner).

This is why I recommend you learn him without the glitch first. It’ll take a long time before you can glitch the teleport consistently and quickly enough to make it look like you’re a living blur, and it’ll distract you from playing properly at first. Plus, he’s the only character who has this, so if you become dependant on it, it’ll impact your performance with the other characters.
Get the basics down before you even start worrying about this.

Gameplay

If you decide to play him on power. Keep in mind that he loses a lot of his combo ability, but he’s still a strong hit and run character because of his teleport. If you can get his :d::snkc:, :l::snka: link down consistently, it’ll help you out a lot. Also, remember that you can greatly reduce the recovery on those :qcb: slashes, so make sure to do this if you’re not great at hit confirming. This also means that messing up the :d::snkc: link is a little more forgiving, because you’re not necessarily a sitting duck if it’s mis-timed and blocked.
Learn to hit confirm his standing :snka: into his DM from a jump-in as well. It’s the only real comeback tool he has. If you can combo into it consistently from his :d::snkc: link, then you might have something going with him on power, but you’re totally fucked if it misses.

Otherwise, he has some of the best safe rush-down in the game, and he can play safe hit and run if he decides he needs to. Just don’t get too predictable with the teleports. They’re godly, but they don’t make you invincible.

Miscellaneous crap

-:uf::snka: and :d::snka: are good pokes.
-:uf::snkc: can cross-up.
-:d::snkc: is useful for mix-ups, especially since you can combo out of it (even if it’s difficult to do so).
-He has an infinite with :l::snka::snka::d::snka: > :snkb: > :l::db::d::snkb: (:snka::snkc:) > :l::snka::snka::d::snka: > :snkb: > (Repeat), but it’s banned as you might expect. Some tourneys will allow one repetition.
-Use :qcb::snka: or :dp::snka: to punish people who constantly air recover.
-:d::snkb: is a pain in the ass to cancel off of. I try to stay away from it.
-:l::snkb: will give you a sort of vertical slash.
-His :r::snkb: is a great long range poke if you use it conservatively.
-As with a lot of other characters, you can dash under someone who’s in the air and jump-cancel into
:d::snkc: and then follow-up with a combo/mix-up. This is risky so be careful.
-The teleport glitch is allowed in most tournaments.

(I added this guide to the wiki as well)

Wow, mad thanks for all your work here!

I never knew infinites were banned. I used to play Walchuk on Kaillera way back when, and he’d abuse Akari’s against me and I’d use Zan’s AC.

You missed one thing with Speed Hibiki though…

If you combo into dp+B, you can cancel it into her counter (whiff) and then connect a speed combo while they’re in that stun. Gotta be rather close for dp+B to stun them, but IIRC it still gets more damage than comboing into the DM.

I never read this forum much before, so that’s how I missed this. Boy am I sorry for that…many thanks once again!

Well, most of my posts here are hardly in-depth anyway, but thanks for listing it.
I’m not a huge fan of that combo though, because:
A) You have to be like point blank for it to connect, and her DM is combo-able from way further away.
B) The timing on it is tight, and if you screw up, you basically blew your meter and left yourself open for attack.
C)You have to do the :dp::snkb: almost instantly for it to connect. There’s no time to hit confirm it.

I usually just hit it off a reset in the corner, because Hibiki’s strongest there anyway.

Is it just me, or does the code for Unawakened Kaede not work in console mode ?

It’s just you.
C9, B1, C4.

Gotta do it fast.

Maybe its Kawaks then, cause every time I tried it in console mode I never heard Kaede’s voice to confirm the cheat worked. Worked fine every time in Arcade mode though.

Dunno why you’d use kawaks anyway considering that 95% of the people online use MAME.
Kawaks has really terrible desyncing issues with older Neo Geo games as well. Samurai Shodown 4 and Last Blade 2 are especially bad.

You mean 95% of America right :wonder: ?.

Most people in europe use Kawaks, prolly 80%.

Hm, Kyokuji… Do you know anything about speed Okina? So far, what I’ve toyed around with is pretty fun… but any indepth help?

I actually posted a quick rundown of Okina on the first page.
I really wouldn’t recommend him as a starting character, but remember that his rod is unblockable and comboable. You want to go in and out quickly with Okina. Do a quick combo, then back off and start zoning again and wait for another opportunity. Stick with jumping A and C most of the time.

Thanks, I’ll check that first page.

Any rec’s for a starting character?

It’s at the bottom of the first post, but:

Speed Setsuna
Power Mukuro
Speed Moriya
Speed Zantetsu
Speed Akari

-are all good starter characters.

I’ve discovered that along with being able to whiff Shigen’s throw in the air, he can also attack after whiffing the throw however many times he wants. It’s not as useful as I thought it would be, but you can fool some people into trying to punish you on reaction. Also increases your chances of grabbing someone as they try to jump up to meet you.

I’ve also heard of some B+D thing the Japanese are doing with Amano’s back+B, but I haven’t noticed any difference myself when I use it.

Thanks for putting together these guides. They’ve helped me grow much quicker than I would have otherwise. It’s too bad there’s such a small pool of players online, but it’s still fun.

Honestly, I play a lot of other games. A3, 3S, ST, VS, and I still think this is one of the deepest fighters around. I’ve been playing it for 5 years, and I’m still finding new shit.
And if you know what you’re doing, there’s almost no way you’ll end up losing to random shit, and you can’t really lag abuse in this, because the jumps are so floaty and hopping is an integral part of the game anyway. Plus, most specials are punishable on block, so it’s really unforgiving towards that kind of spam as well.

I was messing around with Mukuro and I came up with some new 50/50 mix-ups utilizing his crawl:

(If they don’t air recover after the :snkb:)

:l::snka: :l::snka: :l::snka:, :r::snkc: > :r::l::r: :snkc: > :snkb: > :r::l::r::snkc: (Cross under) > (Hold down after you cross-up to cancel the crawl) > Low-jump :uf::snkb: (crosses up)

:l::snka: :l::snka: :l::snka:, :r::snkc: > :r::l::r: :snkc: > :snkb: > :r::l::r::snkc:
(Cross under) > (Hold down after you cross-up to cancel the crawl) > Low-jump :u::snkb:

:l::snka: :l::snka: :l::snka:, :r::snkc: > :r::l::r: :snkc: > :snkb: > :r::l::r::snkc:
(Hold down right away so you don’t cross under) > Low-jump :uf::snkb: (crosses up)

:l::snka: :l::snka: :l::snka:, :r::snkc: > :r::l::r: :snkc: > :snkb: > :r::l::r: :snkc:
(Hold down right away so you don’t cross under) > Low-jump :u::snkb:

(Hold down right away so you don’t cross under) > :l::snka: :l::snka: :l::snka:, :r::snkc: > :r::l::r: :snkc: > Repeat or :dp::snkb:

(If they air recover, you should’ve cancelled into the crawl by now)

Just :snkb: them again on the way down.
Or if you see it coming in advance, cancel the :snkb: into :dp::snkb: instead of the crawl.

These are very nasty mix-ups because it’s extremely difficult to tell whether he’s crossed you up or not. When you hold down to cancel the dash and prevent the cross-up, he still goes under them for a split second before he comes back on the same side, so visually it’s very confusing.

They’re not as useful as they could’ve been since his damage is so high that you don’t really need this kind of thing anyway, but this, coupled with his :snkc: reset that he has during the same crawl chain, just makes him that much more deadly, because you get to force them to choose between guaranteed damage and a mix-up that will possibly kill them or put them in danger.

Updated the Mukuro guide with this as well.

I’ve been playing Power Okina for some time and have found him startlingly usable in close combat (to be used in conjunction with turtle zoning and hit and run tactics mind you).

-I find his :hcb::snkc: to be the best finisher off a sucessful combo, both for the damage and positioning. Additionally, as long as they ground recover, you can pseudo-infinite them with :d::snkb:/:snkb:>:hcb::snkc:. The slight recovery lag on the end also makes you an appealing target to roll towards, setting up for the other use of :hcb::snkc:, as an overhead wakeup, as Kyokuji discussed earlier. In certain situations it can be thrown out as air defence as well. As with anything, use it judiciously, but in the right circumstances it can really provide that firepower Okina needs in close range.

-His :dp::snka: is unquestionably a top-tier move,. It provides an excellent unblockable (and undeflectable?) finisher for a blocked combo and does fair damage (they really add up). Some people swear by this move but it definately takes back-seat to :hcb::snkc: off a hit. Many people like to try to avoid it by jumping if you dont combo it properly, but with Okina’s hight, you’re typically over the recovery lag by the time you’re in range for most aerials if they dont short hop it.

-His SDM (:r::hcf::snkb:) is chainable off his :r::snkc: if they are just under halfway from the edge of the screen (its pretty tight spacing).

-Feel free to use his :bdp::snka: as a finisher to escape combos if you think they can punish :dp::snka:/:hcb::snkc:. Depending on their character/reaction time, its typically nice to toss a turtle or two from safety and, if you’re really courageous/they block :qcf::snka: on the ground, a :dp::snkc: for nice dmg/added humiliation.

-His super cancel is utterly worthless, do not use it (OK, :hcb::snkb:>:r::hcf::snka::snkb: works off a deflect but you need to throw the :hcb::snkb: out absolutely instantly upon parry). If that full power bar is really burning a hole in your pocket, wait for a high jump, dash under them and let it rip or something.

-:bdp::snkb:/:snkc: are worthless. You can sometimes surprise someone trying to projectile zone you with a :bdp::snkb: but there are so many other options at your disposal to deal with people at a range that you deserve whatever you’ll probably end up eating.

-I’ve managed to land :r::snkc:>:hcb::snkb:>:r::hcf::snka::snkb: (if it doesn’t reset you didnt do it properly) once from close to the corner against a Shigen (not in the corner though). I’d appreciate any information as to whether this actually combos though.

Happy whacking-

:dp::snka: is much better as an ender for several reasons:

1. It’s safe if the first hits of the combo are blocked
  2. You have to be almost point blank for :hcb::snkc: to chain properly.

If you do:

:l::snka:, :l::snka:, :snka: > :dp::snka: > :df::snkb:, it does more damage than a :hcb::snkc: combo would anyway. Even if you remove the first :l::snka:, and if you use :d::snka:, it has a much better chance of hitting.
The potential for more damage with the :hcb::snkc: stuff seems appealing, but it won’t work on anyone worth their salt in this game.

The only time you’d use his DM is off a close ground parry, but honestly you’re better off just guard cancelling a lot with him.

The reason why I say he’s hit and run is because once people learn how to jump the rod, you’re gonna have to move in and out trying to land that one good hit. Turtles are just there to keep them on their toes and to get some extra damage, but yes I do think he’s better than people give him credit for. He just has a couple bad match-ups.

Namely Zantetsu, Moriya, and Amano.

I’ve never played a worthwhile Amano, whats he got on Okina apart from massive dmg? Moriya is a medium difficulty if they can’t glitch, if they can its curtains. You have any tips at all for that one? I mean between Okina’s total loss of his projectile/zoning game to the teleport/:qcb::snkb:, and the obvious damage output difference it’s slightly unbalanced. I started my playing locally before going online and most people I knew played Zantetsu so now I can deal with him pretty well. Just can’t mess up. I see what you’re saying about :dp::snka: too, just ran the combos through the machine and :dp::snka: does have more dmg potential overall. :hcb::snkc: still is definately good even if you throw it out just to keep Okina from suffering from Setsuna-esque one dimensionality (and it can catch jumpers expecting :dp::snka: if they dont immediately throw out a poke).

Honestly, the easiest way to show you would just be online. I’m on GodWeapon most of the time (right now as a matter of fact). The competition’s pretty thin these days anyway so it’s not like you have a lot to worry about.

Amano’s stick rush move travels the full distance of the screen, so if you guess wrong with a turtle, you’re eating that into his DM for sure which is like over half of your bar.

As for Moriya, that’s where his rod is useful. You can bait them into teleporting onto one by tossing out the occasional turtle.

great guides kyokuji.
im finally getting the timing on kaede’s pokes.
i can barely find people to test kaede’s pokes over kaillera :sad: might actually be harder over kalleria with the sudden lag

thanks for the guides :lovin: