Kim Strategy and Matchups

I have a really hard time comboing crouching shorts to standing short to rush super. What sort of joystick motion + button coordination should I be aiming for? Or is this one of those things where I just have to do it as fast as possible?

To clarify, how do I do it so I don’t get a “come get some” by mistake?

For that dude on page 1…Chang can’t crouch under Kim’s Thunderfoot (launch super, Thunderfoot is a registered trademark). If you do the two shorts first, though, he’s too far away to hit if still crouching. Any character will eat it after two shorts if they’re standing.

For Mr. Sparkle…the shorts are easy when you get used to it. Practice hitting the last short as a standing short and buffer the super into that. Hold down the last short and activate the super with forward or roundhouse. I’ve found that letting go of the short button leads to level 1 supers and/or cresent kicks, both of which do you no good after 3 or 4 shorts.

Kim is viable in P, though not that good. If the P-super did more damage, he’d be good. He does not need a roll to be good–>K-Groove. I’ve never seen any videos of me vs Ricky, but I’m sure the Kim tactics are pretty decent without a roll.

For the infinite, the distance you have to be from the corner varies (not much, but still) depending on the character you’re doing it on. You definetely have to have your opponent falling into the corner, though.

quick question… why link the super after a few shorts when it’s way easier to do c.lkX2 XX stomp XX rush super

it’s easier to do, and does more damage… I dunno, maybe it’s just me

It’s easier to link a 3rd short off of the first two then cancel to super. If the the 3rd short for some reason doesn’t connect you can go into something else. The stomp won’t link after 2 shorts, so if it’s blcoked it’s harder for him to set stuff up after the stomp. So if you’re looking to land a super i say to use c.shortx3 or better yet c.shortx2, s.shortxxxsuper. the only time i use stomp super is after a crossup or during a dizzy, that’s just me though :karate: .

Oh and if anyone has any other input, plz post some strats and what not.

ahh… are you saying duck shortX2 to foot stomp doesnt combo or something? Cuz im confused…

anyway ahhh also I sure as fuck dont see how doing duck shortX2, foot stomp, super is harder then doing duck shortX2, stand short super.

Stand short is iffy as hell, and as leezy said you most likely have to negative edge to even do it right in teh first place. The combo is just not very freindly.(or well no just stand short into anything is not freindly)

2 shorts into stomp into super does more damage, is easy to combo(where’s the link in “into”?) and gives hella options(switchstance anyone) if the shorts are blocked.

no not saying it doesn’t combo into, just saying it won’t link. i’d rather go for c.shortx2, to hit confirm, then s.short shortxxxsuper, especially if you aren’t that close.

You do realize that the motion for cancelling rush super off a short is ridiculously fast and does not lend itself well to hit confirms.

Besides, where’s the strategy in this? Nor is it matchup dependant, that combo works on anyone.

yeah, and what better hit confirmation than just doing c.lkX2 into stomp (by then you know if it hits lol) into super… works with lvl1-lvl3, so even if negative edged from a short stomp will connect.

bah, to each his own way, i just find this safer… even if they block the shorts, just do a fk stomp, stance switch, and go on from there.

Crouching short x2 into stomp is actually pretty difficult to do if you’re not used to the double down motion. I find it easier to do crouching short x3, standing short, super. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with each method. I use K-Kim, so when you’re rushing down with shorts it’s easier to see a short connect and then standing short super than to try and get another short and stomp. Plus, to get the stomp to connect on most characters you have to be right next to them after two shorts, whereas the super (most of the time lvl2 and always lvl3) will hit as long as the standing short hits, even at full extension.

Hold the short button down to avoid negative edge for best results. Hit confirming off two low shorts is much easier than using the stomp (which isn’t even safe if you autopilot yourself into a switch stance move everytime after). At point blank, Kim can even do three low shorts then a standing short xx super, the standing short has so much range.

What I have a little trouble with though (and I don’t know how Leezy gets around it) is the conflicting input on first part of the super motion with Kim’s qcb+K move. Every time I want to do d.LK x 3, s.LK xx super, I always get d.LK x 3 xx qcb+LK instead. But yeah, any Kim player would be much stronger than they currently are if they start comboing supers from the super far range, easily hit confirmed, and easy to follow up after if blocked (frame advantage) s.LK though.

I used to have that problem too, but for whatever reason the combo is easy for me now. I think doing the motion slow helps. I also think you can link the standing short off of the low short if that helps also.

Anyway, low short standing short super is way more useful since you can hit the combo from far away, while still maintaining momentum if its blocked.

granted the s.lk is good for range, if by accident the qcb move comes out, ur pretty much screwed… lvl 3 or something like that in the face.

bah, i’m dropping this… STOMP RULES!

[quote=SoleEMU]
granted the s.lk is good for range, if by accident the qcb move comes out, ur pretty much screwed

[quote]

The thing is that you’re not always in range for the stomp to connect, so learning c.lkx3 or c.lkx2, s.lk super is beneficial. Just learn to negative edge the superm it’s not hard after you practice it.

If I was going to use a short short super combo, I’d do
c.lk, c.lk xx mk stomp xx lvl 2 super(negative edged)…xx whatever

Extra damage, comboes(is that even a verb?), and feels easy after a few tries.

you’re both missing the point. Stomp combos might be easier, but doing the super off of standing short has way more useful applications.

ya, like randon short into super… wait. wouldn’t a random lvl 3 super be safer? lol :razz:

no, becuase hitting ONE button gives you more time to input the super motion. That’s why when, for instance, a shoto misses a sweep against chun it’s better that she does s.strongxxsuper rather than just input the super motion. By the time she inputs the motion you could already be blocking. but hitting 1 button( which is faster than inputting a motion+button) then buffering the motion off of that button gives you more time for the inputs.
Kim can do the same thing. It would be kinda stupid to try and walk up, c.shortxxxstompxxxsuper. Chances are that the stomp will miss or the you get there to late and the opponent can block. walk up s.shortxxsuper is a much more viable way of punishing something like that.

sigh. Max range low short, standing short xx super. This is one of the best things about Kim: he can hit confirm a max range low short (which goes farther than average to begin with) and super off of it.

Bah! Who needs hit confirms when you just play CRAZY!?