Ken G'eneral Discussion Thread (Frame Data, Techniques, Combos, and etc.)

plink it, drum fingers across MP to LP.

I see. I’m guessing a lot of Ken’s combos require that kind of action?

not REQUIRED it just makes all links easier. Practice the timing and you can do any link without plinking.

Do any one know the right distance to catch a opponent with ultra 2(besides gulie) cause every time I think I caught them they recover. Is it best to use negative edge or to press on reaction to catch them?

A projectile character

Just outside sweep distance should work against most projectile characters.

It all depends who the character is dude.

The faster they recover, the closer you need to be. Common sense really.

Needless to say, Guile, Ryu and Sagat are gonna require awesome reactions just around sweep range compared to Dhalsim and Chun who recover slower and are therefore slightly easierto react to.

Peace,

G.

Thanks

This thread is about people more than the characters they use.

I just got back from my local arcade and had a good few solid wins against some decent opposition.
Then this guy called うれしょん先生 (Ureshon Sensei) as Cody blew me away. In four matches of three rounds he almost perfected me in every single round and match. My Ken in the arcade has 11,091bp with a solid B rank status.
After getting destroyed I had to watch this guy from the other side of the cabinet just to see how he was doing it, particularly his hand movement. He was doing button presses I can’t even begin to try and absolutely flawless in his execution. By far the most amazing Cody player on console and in the arcade I’ve ever seen.

There’s a couple of other people who I bump into in the arcades I go to here who just keep beating the lights out of me no matter how many times I try.

I suppose a nemesis of sorts, a real tough player.

Where I’m at now I’m that nemesis lol, the competition in this area is not tough at all. Back in Austin there’s heavy hitters all the time. Viet, Hsien Chang, JDR, Pozerwolf, the list goes on. We joked about the Arcade UFO scrubs being those 10k+ BP online players at one point, hell I feel like that’s true!

Where do you live anyway Higashi?

Thread Update (minor)!!!

1. I’ve added a small index in the first thread to make things easier to find (hopefully).

2. I’ve expanded the amount of hyperlinks in the third post to cover pretty much everything any Ken player could ever need, drawing from the vast amount of knowledge hidden away in some of the older threads and directing players to stuff like Ken’s Hitbox Data (awesome thread), Ken’s Option Select techniques (awesome thread) and Character Specific Match-Ups Info (awesome thread) etc etc…

Hopefully, even though all those cool threads aren’t stickied, they should get the views they deserve now!! There is a serious amount of work in those threads and people just aren’t aware of them…

If any of the veteran Ken players see “new blood” asking for stuff that’s already in here, please direct them to posts 1, 2 and 3 in this thread as it is more than likely already covered in much greater detail!!!

Peace,

G.

I’ve had a couple of games against some amazing players in my local arcade. ネO (nero) being one of the toughest. He’s ranked currently the 6th best play in Japan and the 2nd best in Tokyo, of course just behind Daigo. I took him to 3 close rounds against his Yun which made me happy.
Here in Japan it’s not really a console scene, but more of an arcade scene that decides who’s best, since we use the NESYS card system on the arcade it keeps track of your stats just like the console version does. I can log on with my phone and see live updates of all the arcades in Japan minute by minute which is amazing.

A couple of the toughest arcades I sometimes go to are Game Safari in (Ikebukuro) Tokyo. Daigo and Mago are the top players there in store. The other is Club Sega in (Shinjuku) Tokyo. I often work near Game Safari so if I get time I can go during a lunch break.
More often than not I get a beat down, bodied and blown up by a lot of players. I’m just hoping through tough competition I’ll get better.

If it hasn’t been done, I’ll try and do a top 10 street fighter arcade list of Tokyo for anyone who ever comes over, can go to these arcades and see how good they really are.

God I would LOVE to come over there and do that.

But I don’t know if my ego could handle it. I would just be annihlated. I think you’re going to get REALLY good if you keep surrounding yourself with that level of competition though.

When it comes to improving, getting beaten and constantly playing the best in the world has got to be the most useful training that you could possibly have happen.

When I get beaten online, I make the point of playing that same opponent for as long as they’ll let me!! I’ve gone 0 and 20 before!! But ask yourself this.

Who benefits the most from a loss? The winner or the loser?

Unless it’s a tournament, or there’s money on the line, losing is far more beneficial…

Peace,

G.

I didn’t see it posted here so i’ll try contribute, sorry if it’s been posted before

in corner on crouching opponents: j.FP, close HK xx ex FB, hp shoryu combos(405dmg/670 stun)
same combo but instead of hp shoryu u can cr.mk xx hp /exfireball the other fb’s are escapable (385 dmg/660stun w/o ex fb) and ofc u can fadc if the situation calls for it
also counter hit close HK xx lp fb fadc full ultra in corner and crouching, i find this hard but i put that all down to being on pad
i use that close hk in corner as frame trap and i get CH 70-90% of time depending on opponent after training them with some hectic grabbage
I’m uncertain if these combos are match up specific… its worked on ryu and oni perfectly every time but with yun the hp shoryu is a lil iffy, sometimes 1st dp hit whiffs and other times it will hit and miss the next 2 hits… i’m guessing that’s down to fine distancing, since it is possible to get all 3 hits of the dp
hope this helps

another flashy combo is CH close HK xx lp fb, lvl2 focus attack which crumples in combo with only using 2 bars instead of the 3 we used to have to use to get that effect… from there, every1 for themselves i guess 'cos ken can do some amazing stuff from ch or crumple in corner

sorry for not being precise on the whole lingo for writing down this stuff lol.

It has been discovered that you can link from the EX fireball already. In fact there has been a video done already somewhere, can’t remember which thread it’s in. It seems like it’s very tight with spacing and obviously it’s a 1 framer too.

I’d rather FADC a regular fireball and continue the combo with another fierce punch, like this:

cl.st.hk xx fierce fireball FADC cr.hp xx fierce fireball FADC cr.hp xx HK tatsu (depends how much meter you have really.)

Using Ken’s cl.st.hk to land big combos, especially on counterhit is well documented too. I believe it was Playerjun52 who first did it mid match and then it was expanded on by Joon after that. You can even link U1 with the right timing on a crouching opponent:

(Opponent crouching only)

cl.st.hk xx fierce fireball FADC U1.

It’s character specific, some characters need EX fireball to make it work, some need corner only etc.

Peace,

G.

Been in the lab again and learn more mix ups. These are after a fwr throw or kara throw mix with TKK and FTK

TKK-True Thunder Kick. After a fwr throw or kara throw you can back dash and take a little step back and go for the TTK.It will look like ot going to miss them but the heel of ken foot will hit them. What if the block the attack you ask?. Ken TKK is -3 on block .The distance that you hit them if they block their 3 frame attck will whiff.

FTK- Fake Thunder Kick. After a fwr throw or kara throw you can back dash and go for the FTK. Mix ups that can happen after this are pretty much the same after you do f.srk into FTK but you wont be able to land cr.lk xx cr.lp xx cr. hp cause the spacing. you can go for a meaty grab,cr. tech, late cr tech to bait reversal, f.srk or if you got balls a cr. hk. Hopes this help people in their gameplay

So. One of the new features they added to AE was the ability to search by gamertag for “rooms” playing match footage saved on their system. Why aren’t we doing this? We could use this to get some of us together, look at matches and critique what they can improve on etc etc. Or just hang out and enjoy Ken Masters do work. =P

i tried looking for levi but they keep telling me that theres no channel to follow

Its gotta be people that are actually running a channel. I have to host a channel/room for you to find me.