Keeping Your Cool in the Face of Adversity

Oh crap I knew I was forgetting someone :confused:, I’m terrible at recalling PSN IDs, gonna post about you too.

Aside from advice, this truly is an obstruction that one overcomes by themselves.

Everybody naturally gets angry when they slip up in something they’re passionate about and know they’re good at it, but it’s truly a test of your character on how you handle the downs that go hand in hand with the ups.

Your best moments come and go, but you should think about the beauty of this, and that is it keeps coming and going. You’ll continue to play.

But, in less pitiful attempts in sounding Ghandi-like, something physical always helps anger, provided it’s not destructive. I’d say do push-ups. Them shits is fantastic.

I usually taunt from the other side of the screen, goof off, etc. when I’m losing in a lame way of getting back at my opponent… it relieves me.

I have this habit of yelling about how awesome I am when I win though, eheheh.

Few things you could try.

1. Get a rubber band and put it around your wrist or ankle (if you don’t want people to notice). Everytime you start to feel angry pull it back and pop yourself. You can try other things to cause a sharp pain to quickly kill the anger. I do not recommend real injury.

2. Get a little rubber ball and put it in your pocket. When you start getting angry or particulary when you’re absolutely pissed, reach into your pocket and squeeze that rubber ball with everything you got. Just be sure not to grab the wrong ball.

3. If you’re just absolutely pissed mid match, just let them win if you can without them knowing. If you’re angry you’ll effectively give them the match anyway.

If it’s an online jerk just let them win, but make it obvious (hold forward)so they can’t trash talk. Don’t even bother to risk getting mad, and many times they will leave on their own. No harm done aside from that loss, but really you shouldn’t care about that in the first place.

I generally have anger problems anyway, but IRL fighting game playing doesn’t really bug me unless my opponent is being a dick…

…HDR ranked match however, is another story. I gave up playing Zangief out of friendly matches because the odds of ending up against Guile, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, or Blanka were getting to be too damn high. On top of that, it’s hard to ask questions in a semi anonymous ranked match, which makes losses in general even more frustrating.

Recently I’ve gotten better at controlling myself because before I was ridiculous mad because I put too much stock in my skills I think. I’d get mad thinking I should’ve won this match or the other that I lost. What’d get me the most is when people used what I thought to be cheap/pathetic tactics. (Constantly using fireballs, constantly spamming high kicks to trips, stuff like that.) But I got a slap in the face by some people I was arguing with once and began to realize that, at least in SF2, there’s just about a way to counter everything. Cheap or otherwise. So instead of getting pissed that I lost a match because I thought I had mad skills, I just think that I need to improve more and find a way to beat it next time.

“Don’t fight for victory, fight to improve yourself. Victory will come.”

I think BJ Penn said it best when he said “It’s not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward”

Basically, if I lose…I don’t really scream or get mad…but I do look at why I lost and try to ask people who know WTF i’m doing wrong and see if they can point out those mistakes in my game. Then it’s all about polishing or hiding those mistakes as much as possible and executing my gameplan as much as possible.

when im getting out played i don’t get mad at all, but if im beaten by someone i think is inferior skillwise i get really fucking pissed. Weird but that’s just me.

I tend to get pissed when something is on the line, but only at myself for sucking. Casual stuff I get worked up over very rarely though.

You have to learn to be humble in your winning and losing rounds grasshopper. Showing your anger will only disgrace the face of your father.

Hilariously enough, I feel little if any stress or discomfort from competitive pressure like a tournament situation, but instead I have a strong subconscious discomfort from being in groups and other social situations that basically causes the same problems.