Kara Powerbomb Thread (Advanced Move)

Another thing. Seems it’s chara dependant as alex lp whiff range is out of kara powerbomb against ryu…
edit: nvm, he can obviously walk a bit to get in range…

Should work with ggpofba.exe.
When in game, pause it, then hold the input you want, and press F1 to go to next frame, hold again, etc…

edit: I know you’re not lying, that’s why it blows my mind thinking i actually don’t have a clue on how that damn game works :d

Doing it frame by frame it seems like I can’t make it work correctly, I could also just be messing it up because I don’t know the frames I just know how it feels. Just playing normally in fba I did do it just fine though so it works it wasn’t just MAME or something crazy like that (which I never suspected but who knows).

have you had any success? It seems like the roundhouse comes out from a cancelled jab almost and then you cancel the roundhouse into jab powerbomb. I know that sounds bizarre but that’s how it feels. I think we could pick this game apart for the next 10 years and still not be 100% sure of everything. Ridiculous.

He starts to pull back the jab but I don’t think he finishes the animation before the roundhouse starts which is then immediately cancelled into the powerbomb. There is some goofy stuff with the jab. if you do it buffering in jab you can use whatever. It’s magical!

and yeah vs ryu you whiff and then basically you do move slightly forward just from pressing the stick enough to connect with the kara’d powerbomb i guess. At least I did just do it and it works against him ok.

Weird :confused:
No, nothing new on my end.
Maybe you can try to record with fba-rr (http://code.google.com/p/fbarr/)?
It allows to easily record what happens on screen, at original speed and framerate (60fps).
Also, it handles lua scripting, allowing some cool features such as displaying inputs on screen (ScrollingInputDisplay-v006.zip - fbarr - scrolling display Lua script for fighting games - FinalBurn Alpha Rerecording - Google Project Hosting) or hitbox display.

Would be nice to record those strange setups with input display to see what exactly happens…

You can even kara it off a blocked jab which is really neat. Cool I’ll check this out and see if I can do that. Yeah exactly because I’m not sure the timing on things even though I can do it with my hands fairly consistently now. So it’d be cool to see what that actually looks like.

??III3rd ??? ??? 2010/04/02 part1 ? ???(??)

Use the Nico Video Redirector: Nicovideo Redirector

Happens at exactly 2:10

Here’s a pic from that match to show the exact range: http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/3stest2501/kara-powerbomb.jpg

If you’re able to hit them with jab or it just whiffs you’re within range, if he moved in just a little more he could easily kara-throw or LP Powerbomb.

Big questions: What does this mean for Alex? How consistent can you land it? What beats it?

It’s not at all hard to do once you know the timing so I don’t imagine consistency is the issue so much. Once you get a feel for when to do the f. fierce out of the jab it’s surprisingly easy.

I don’t think it means a whole lot. People like Genki and Kazuya can do this technique obviously and yet we almost never see it despite that. It can create some interesting situations that are very hard to react to and definitely improves him overall but I don’t think it’s enough to change much. It’s super cool though and I’m working on using this jab weirdness to try and kara all sorts of stuff. Kara hyperbomb?

Anything is going to beat it that beats the jab or the powerbomb normally. It’s just kind of a secret weapon that can be done very quickly from a whiffed or far blocked jab even (range is kind of odd). So when it’s unexpected I imagine you can almost 100% land it but that’s not drastically different.

A good thing I see it for is stuff where you can’t connect a strong powerbomb off a jab tic from some ranges but this would allow you. That’s a more obvious and practical application.

Also, at that kind of range (~powerbomb), one of the best option for opponent IMO is to jump, either forward or backward. Being on guard, specially crouching guard like in the video above, is just an open door to alex’s mixup…

Yeah I mean he can do some interesting things setup wise that are really ambiguous. I’m wondering about sjc powerbomb, kara hyperbomb. I’ve been doing sjc flash which if you were to also hk kara it would just completely beat a throw attempt, it’s like double covering yourself in case either one fucks up or you’re still too close after the hk kara.

I’ve been doing hk kara flashes because the slight movement back can screw up a throw attempt and lead to a free combo for alex. Especially on jump in using hk kara strong flash because you can confirm to super off it.

Well, I’m thinking that the Shoto’s could do crMK and easily hit you from that range and do whatever. Question is; will your kara-powerbomb hit them just as the crMK comes out? You should be just out of range of Chun’s crMK. Urien could hit you with crMK too, but of course he can’t connect anything off of that.

I wrote a few things but it can be summed up as this.

Realistically they won’t have time to react and stick something out other than a jab. Anything that beats the powerbomb can beat it but that means they already expected the powerbomb. The potential of it has a lot more to do with mind games and ambiguous setups than it does anything else.

So just like if someone expects you to powerbomb after some setup and throws something out, the same thing is possible. What it does give him is what ESN and I already said which is another tool to control the corner with. The fact that you can even block or hit tic at far jab range and still connect a powerbomb is awesome too. It’s very finicky but it’s still cool.

Maybe there’s some crazy way to sneak a down parry in there but I don’t think so just based on the timing.

Hope u don’t mind me asking this here, but if one were to compare Alex’s :hcb:+:p: to other command throws like Hugo’s in 3S and/or command throws from (S)SF4 (like Abel’s), what are the shortcomings of Alex’s grab? …and what would make the throw ‘better’?

Alex’s Powerbomb lacks the range of Hugo’s. Hugo’s LP 360 has really good range, approximately kara-throw range. Alex’s LP Powerbomb doesn’t have as good range, he has to get in closer, just within kara-throw range. If he does it close up it will lose to the standard throw. His MP and HP Powerbombs have worse range and more startup. On top of that, if he connects the Powerbomb it pushes Alex away to midscreen distance, forcing him to dash or walk in, giving his opponent some space. When Hugo uses his 360 it doesn’t push him away nearly as much, and can easily get in there again even if the opponent Quick Rolls.

Alex makes up for this though by having a really good kara-throw with great range, the range is better than Chun Li’s. Which gives him options similar to Hugo: He can knock you down, stay just out of your throw range and either kara-throw, parry, whatever.

He has better tick options than Hugo because of his kara-throw.

If you’re asking which character in 3S has the best command grab it’s Makoto. Just because she just needs that one opening with SA2 to touch of death you.

If you’re asking who’s the better grappler in 3S Alex or Hugo it’s undoubtedly Hugo. A good Hugo can be very scary. Whereas Alex mostly relies on big damage through use of EX moves and his mixup game, especially on his opponent’s wakeup.

Alex’s Powerbomb is much slower than Hugo’s and does less damage, not to mention less range than Hugo’s LP 360. The grab itself isn’t that great compared to others like Zenpou Tenshin and Karakusa, that not only lead to big damage but also positional advantage.

The way to think of Alex’s Powerbomb is not as a damaging command grab, but rather an important tool in his mixup game. Once Alex has the opponent cornered, he has a bunch of other tools to work off of, like karathrow, b.HP, low hits, sweep, f.HP, f.MP, Stomp, anti-air Knee, and not to mention the Powerbomb.

That’s what differentiates Alex’s grabs from Hugo’s: gradual damage and stun instead of big damage off one hit.

In the end however, Alex may be higher than Hugo in the tiers by a bit, but Hugo is still better than Alex in my opinion because of how varied his playstyle can be. YSB and Hayao alone have shown how diverse he can be, not to mention dangerous. Alex may have more tools than Hugo, but none of them are particularly great and thus limits his overall gameplay.

I thought you hated Alex?

I do. Why do you ask?

this is neat. but isn’t really going to have an impact.

Is that what’s her face from Die Antwoord in your ava there?

And yeah. If it did have an impact we’d see it being used in Japan. Like I said before the proof it doesn’t change much (and just adds some other options) is that we don’t see it often.

Kazuya uses this Kara Powerbomb regularly.
You are missing out on a lot of range (as much as kara throw range) like that.
Because crouching light punch gives as much range as forward + HP, instead of standing LP, use crouching LP, and it will have range like Q’s command throw.

It sounds like you are all trying this online but this technique should be Arcade only.
Also, this louisper person, it sounds like you need to learn some basics playing offline first otherwise techniques like these are no relevance to you!

I lold.