Is Morrigan better or worse in UMVC3?

I do agree completely, nooneyouknow, however what are you to do with morrigan against a character like wesker playing keep away with guns, and every time you get close they just teleport away, or jump block (especially when cornered so I don’t think you can even mix up then)? Perhaps I’m going about it wrong, and would most certainly always welcome learning how to play her better.

That being said I’m so used to not being able to do anything after an air throw that I’m having such a hard time figuring out which side the opponent is going to land on after an air throw -.-

Morrigan can lame out Wesker, she just has to be careful when she lands. Astral Vision helps out a lot against teleporters. Against jump-blockers, air throw them, and then follow up with either Shadow Servant or a mix-up.

This is why I rock octagon gates. :wink:

Yeah Wesker is hardly one of Morrigan’s trouble matchups. You pretty much shut down most of what Wesker wants to do once aerial fireballs are on screen.

I’ve actually seen you a-lot and your the reason I still hang on to morrigan(well I never stopped using her but I wasn’t doing so hot at first). I’ve seen you play recently somewhere I think in a match vs diminion. I couldn’t really tell as people were in my way so I didn’t catch you face that well.

Uh…dude I’m from Chicago. I need to fly to where Diminion is.

Oh my bad then bro lol.

From threads like this to top 3 character in the game.

I’m still not quite sold on top 3, but yes, it’s been quite a turn around since the days of people spewing “Morrigan and Hsien-ko bottom 2”.

I would love for someone to dig up all the panic posts when it was announced that characters can no longer block during air dashes, and all the fools who gave up on her on the spot.

Check this out, I posted this in the changes thread before the release of UMVC3 lol:

“Hmmm…Her damage output has been increased, she may be able to combo off a grab (probably with an assist), her missile super is faster, and priority has been increased on j.H/S. Honestly I’m still sticking with her. I feel Capcom is trying to change her into a rushdown character and ** remove her zoning game**. I refuse to lose faith in Morrigan!”

How far away from the truth could I have been?

Yeah I dont think shes top 3 either. Top 5 almost definitely though.

Hahaha. It’s funny how pre-release can confuse us. Good for you on not giving up on her back then, though! I would still use Morrigan if she went back to her Vanilla self, though she would be crap.

I thought the air dash blocking change was going to a be huge problem in certain match ups…and I still feel like I was right. That said, for the most part, those match ups don’t happen though. Moving forward against other projectile based character or even just ones with fast beam hypers while they have meter is every bit of the bitch I expected it to be, but the Soul Fist and Flight buffs were just enough that we aren’t forced to move in on them like we were in vanilla. They’re really only large problems when they also have am Session/Missiles/Vajra.

Magneto with HM + Beam assists is a bitch to fight.

What matchups are those? I find that the change is generally a buff to her because it’s so unsafe to air dash against Morrigan now.

Deadpool, Chris, Dorm, Hawkeye, and a few with meter. They’re extremely difficult to move forward against without also having a horizontal assist to clear the screen(this doesn’t help at all vs Chris, this match up is ass in general as far as I’m concerned). Magneto can also keep you from moving in all day.

Now that said, that’s in neutral, and the match is not in neutral in AV. Astral Vision greatly fucks with momentum, and can easily lead to Dorm potentially doing nothing at all.

Most Dormammu players think they can chain Purification H against Morrigan several times because…well, most Morrigan players let them. I even saw ChrisG block like 3 in a row. I wait until the first one resolves. Shadow Blade H, fly, and tridash Shell Kick. You have plenty of time to land a full combo. It’s not a good matchup for Morrigan, but I find that having tricks like that up your sleeve make him hesitate to use Purification, which is all Morrigan needs to even the match out. And Dormammu is one of the few characters I will dive in with Shell Kick against all day long, because you can’t let him get Dark Spells charged.

I’ve never had a problem with Chris since I can fire down-forward and across, and he can only fire down-forward. Superjump, qcf.H, fly, qcf.M, unfly, repeat until he feels the need to come in.

Against meter characters, I sometimes skip Soul Fist and just superjump and fly. That way I can move around with an answer. I can always Soul Fist, unfly, tridash to get in.

Hawkeye rocks my world, I have nothing there. I haven’t fought a good Deadpool since forever.

I’m generally content to sit in the top-left corner of the screen and chuck Soul Fists all day if my opponent wants to try and play the ranged game. I have the time.

I never been hit with Purification H while still having flight available, like…ever.

The thing with Chris is, all you’re doing is applying weak, and easily avoidable chip damage against him, while he coats the land in hellfire enough to do Dormammu proud, and Gunfire H(Magnum) destroys all assist calls outside of combos on reaction. So the match up becomes solo Morrigan vs Chris’ team, as outside AV he’s free to call his assists. His silly good throw also leads to death.

Deadpool’s L and M Trigger Happy have just enough durability to punch through the one Soul Fist you’ll have in line with them, and interrupt your assists unless they’re projectile immune, or a projectile. It allows him to fuck with shit like Vajra and Hidden Missiles really well, and it also has a good chance of hitting slower assists like cold star, so more often then not, this one once again turns into Morrigan vs Deadpool’s team, but at least you can counterpick with an assist and have it be overall less annoying.