"I'll never cut corners in my practice!" Ibuki Notes, Tech and Q&A thread

I gave juri about 2 days before i said fuck this, ibuki is just 10x more fun lol.

A good thing to do after CC sweep is to fwd dash into s.mk into air kunai. The kunai hits meaty so if it hits you can combo off of it, but if they block it you can keep applying pressure.

Well, no more fun for me I guess since I broke both my ps4 and my tv it seems

Umm…what do you mean by…broke?

That’s the one I use most of the time. I find that good players will block the kunai correctly but they still tend to hit a button when I land so I go for st.LP, st.MK and then confirm into the TC if it counter hits.

People are starting to DP out of that setup now so I need to find something new to make DP’s whiff. Any ideas?

I hit a shelf which knocked my TV onto my PS4. Granted my PS4 was already shaky for whatever reason, but end result is that neither work now.

Sorry to hear that bro. Good luck with things and hope you get some new equipment to practice with.

Hmmm would just standard jumping in be able to bait the DP if you could time it for a safe jump/meaty? Probably would be tough against 3 frame DPs.

Still looking for stuff but I found a couple things so far…

CC Sweep, cr.LK, st.LP, j.MK is a cross-up safe jump that is safe against 4f DP’s.

CC Sweep, whiff throw, Air L Kunai

• This only works if you land CC Sweep from further out. You have to manually time the Air Kunai to get it to hit meaty. (slightly after the apex of the jump)
  • It’s + on block if they block the kunai, but it seems that if they block the other direction, they will simply walk away from the kunai which is bad news.
  • Might be useful against people who are familiar with the other setup, because they are likely to block the kunai correctly, and this setup causes all of Ryu’s DPs to whiff. I haven’t tested it on other characters yet.

Can I ask what is air L kunai? is that a Jump with an instant Kunai or can you throw it at mid jump?

I just meant use LP Kunai in the air.

You can throw it any time during the jump, but if you do it too early or late, it won’t hit them.

For those that didn’t see it, a Vega player named Arlieth posted a video that shows him whiffing an air throw in order to make st.LP AA’s whiff during a jump-in.

Many people seem to think this tech only applies to Vega, but actually it applies to any character with an air throw, including Ibuki.

So next time you play a Necalli / Ryu / Karin that mashes jab AA constantly, pull this out of them.

Keep in mind, it only works against early jabs. If they do it late, you’ll still get hit because your upper body hurtbox will be low enough for them to hit you. This is why it doesn’t really work on Alex/Gief/Chun, because their AA hitboxes are higher up.

Thank you for the clarification! For a moment, I was wondering if you meant to do a HK command dash and do a Kunai right away. But this helps alot! Cheers,

While on the subject of that tech, what is the landing lag on air throws. I’d heard that empty jump lag was changed to 0 between sf4 and sfv but I’m not sure about the data for jump attack lag and air throws lag at all.

I’m glad you asked that question, because I just assumed that the recovery would be the same regardless of what you press in the air.

You got me curious though so I tested it.

Turns out that if you press a normal button in the air, you will have 2 frames of recovery.

If you whiff an air throw, you have 6 frames of recovery.

If you empty jump, it appears that you have 0 frames of recovery but I can’t think of a reliable way to test that. I recorded Chun Li doing empty jump cr.LP and I tried to counter hit her as she landed, and it seemed impossible, so I’m fairly certain there is 0 frames of recovery on an empty jump.

Pretty sure I heard there’s no recovery on empty landing.

2 frames is pretty hard to punish, but 6 frames is definitely doable on reaction; meaning the more this tactic spreads, the easier is will be to bait by either using an actual AA or by punishing the recovery.

I feel like this probably benefits chun the most, since I’m pretty sure she’s the only other character (besides ibuki) with an air throw and trajectory altering move. Bonus if you can air throw out of her vskill, which I unfortunately cannot test. Definitely worth it for both chun and ibuki though when you look at how bad the normal jump ins are.

Yeah definitely worth using for Ibuki because she doesn’t have anything as good as Chun’s j.HK. Chun’s j.HK can stuff some of the dumber AA jabs that are in the game with the right timing. Ibuki is kinda fucked for that other than hoping the kunai hits them inbetween the active frames. In general I don’t like jumping much with Ibuki or Chun as they both have 41/42 frame jumps that are a bit too floaty for the jump meta.

You want those quick 38/39 frame jumps to make your jump harder to react to to begin with.

Hi Guys, How do you do the L kunai release after crouching HP? I press and held LP right after pressing Cr. HP, then release LP, but nothing comes out.

You have to have the button charged before the c.HP. So for example you would start charging lp kunai then do j.HK to c.HP release lp kunai then end with raida if you in the corner.
Btw how do I quote people.

Thanks Paradise!

For quoting, there’s a “Quote” button at the bottom of the text box. It’s right next to the flag button