Hugo's taunt

sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to correct the wrong info.

“The held taunt (holding HP and HK) gives an attack increase of about 25% for the next hit/combo/throw”

The held taunt does not increase damage anymore than a non-held taunt. a held taunt will however increase the damage for regular throws and command throws. if you do not hold it only non-throw moves receive the damage boost.

“Poison will appear and you will gain NO BONUS for the taunt you just done.”

this is also incorrect, even if you call poison the boosts you would normally receive are given.

also according to a Japanese blog, the boosts from the taunt register about when you hear the “ya” when Hugo makes the “iiiiyah” noise during the taunt.

while its rare, I have occasionally seen ysb and others taunt post ultra throw mid screen.

Hugo players have started to taunt a whole bunch more in the casuals they stream regularly at Game Versus on Twitch during the last few weeks. It’s pretty neat, tbh. Either way, it’s nice to know this stuff since I recently started learning Hugo a bit myself.

Hugo’s taunt rises his defense too like Q, right? Should be pretty obvious to try and get taunts in with Hugo, the problem is just that he has very few setups to try to taunt safely, after Ultra Throw being the only one I know.

No Internet the past few months so I haven’t had a chance to watch casuals for some time. is there a specific archived recording with the casuals that show this? Thanks :slight_smile:

I don’t think there are any specific ones, no. It’s just a trend I noticed recently. I think during the last livestream I saw a good 8-10 taunts from Hugo over the course of the stream. Maybe more. Mind you the stream is like 3-4 hours long and they’re just casuals, but they normally don’t taunt that much other than in jest. I remember it’d be rare to see a Hugo taunt at all before.

The taunts are also fkn crazy unsafe every time I see them. Like just fkn dry taunting from across the screen vs Urien or Makoto or Dudley. Like I can understand vs some chars, but others it just seems nuts. It’s not like that’s a fast taunt, ya know? Bitches get slapped that way.

Another situation I see them taunt in more often besides the crazy ass dry taunt is after an anti-air throw. They seem to get away with that one pretty well. I’ve never seen anyone beat them up for it anyway.

Here we go, here’s a link to their last livestream. It should have a good few taunts over the course of it.

Are you sure the taunts you’re talking about weren’t confirmed as safe by them being done in reaction to a particular character action? For example, if a character is full-screen, you can watch for them to commit themselves to something safe but time-consuming (such as a neutral/back jump) and taunt on reaction because the action they did gives them far less time to punish your taunt.

Whatvabout neutral throw + ^idea. Its how inuse it, as well as qs.

In the case of Urien they could be betting on the Urien having no charge I guess, but I rarely see them doing anything that has long downtime like jump or anything when the taunt occurs. I think it’s just such a random taunt they don’t expect it, because I’d say that nearly every time I see the risky looking ones it’s them taunting while X char with a dash-up attack like Makoto is whiffing normals from like 70% screen distance away, haha. It’s pretty badass. The unsafe looking ones are always just unheld taunts though. I don’t think I’ve seen a held taunt in that situation.

Either way, I certainly can’t say for certain whether they’re actually remotely safe/unsafe. I don’t know anywhere near enough about Hugo, let alone the actual player mentalities that these guys are dry taunting against. From my perspective the taunts that aren’t after anti-air throws and some decent knockdowns seem pretty unsafe looking, yeah.

I can’t get Poison out on OE, what do I press to see dat tranny?

I tried mashing start and taunt for a while, but nothing happened.

Up + Taunt

The SF wiki says held taunt increases attack power for throws only.

I should test that but my 360 isn’t plugged in.

throws and normal attacks as well… B)

Isn’t that fascinating sidewinder. You were 10 years younger when you first posted here, both of your decade apart posts are 6 words long and both finish with an emoticon.

Wow.

im a man of short words… =)

Hugo held taunt increase dmg for all attacks,