How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog

Might need a pre sealer first, but other than that yeah you can just go to poly.

I’d say the minimum coats you need for a good paint job in general is at least 2. Doesn’t matter what kind of finish you are going for. Personally I did 2 color coats and 1 clear coat.

1 Like

comments like that are unnecessary. he is taking time out of his busy schedule to help others, myself included. you deserve negative rep. :tdown:

1 Like

Hey mate , im in UK too, was wondering what you used as vinyl spackling?

Thanks

-monkeybizz

^this is the one unneccesary. He didnt update after how many days. Well, dont bring up the thread if you dont have commitment to complete it. Since he apologized, you dont have to bring out the past:zzz:

1 Like

soarer5’s comment is completely valid as you seem to be missing the point of a worklog, where you log your progress as you do it.

I can understand that you want to see this done and the finished product, but calling Digital a procrastinator while he waits for his paint to dry doesn’t make to much sense

dude, do you have to wait for 3-4 days for the coat to dry?Does he live at Alaska?North/South Pole?Look at the timestamp before you post:annoy:

Yes you do. It actually takes up to a month for paint to fully cure. 3 days is the shortest amount of time I would wait. Probably longer would be better. Anyways I never said I was going to do this in the shortest amount of time possible. This kind of technique takes time. If you don’t have patience I suggest not doing it.

1 Like

weird, my poly spray paint can said recoat in 6 hours or 12 hours if weather is cold.I have done the first coat, touch dry in 2 hours and recoat in 12 hours. Second coat is alot smoother now. Im ready for the next coat and yes the weather is cold here. I admit Im impatient but thanks for the useful guides here:)

PS: Its not useful if its not completed.2 thumbs down

Could you please stop posting in this thread? You’re childish remarks are not welcome.

To the rest of you. I’m trying a new technique with the clear coat so I hope it comes out well. I’ve sanded the last color coat and put on the clear but I can’t post any update pics until I get home from work later tonight. If everything goes well though I’m off of work on friday and I will have the whole thing completed then if my new technique works out well.

1 Like

Digital how would you feel about making this a general wood finish/treating thread? I have some questions about oil/varnishing I’d like to throw out in the open but I don’t want to derail the thread if you only want to discuss your worklog or mirror finishes.

ps: Keep up the good work (and don’t feed the trolls :wink: )

Edit: I do have one on-topic question: That vinyl spackling is only because the wood type is MDF? You wouldn’t apply that to other wood types, right?

1 Like

I don’t know much about finishing hardwoods. Ask your questions in the woodworking thread. There are some awesome people that will help you out there.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=191757

Yeah that spackling is just for MDF. If you used Rosewood or something you wouldn’t want to cover up that beauty.

Bump for the update. Only one more to go. Once the clear cures enough to sand in a couple days I will be able to sand and buff to a mirror finish.

What do you use for clear coat? Any brand names to look out for?

Edited the original with the brand that I used. It’s Valspar Hi-Gloss Lacquer. Duplicolor is very good also. I would get one of those 2 brands. Whatever you do, don’t buy cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

A guy from Bunnings(similar to home depot) showed me a piece of mirror finished wood like piano. He said total 8 coats(or more) is needed using wet/dry sand paper 800g for every coat and for the last coat 1200g.

1 Like

That guy had no idea what he was talking about.

1 Like

Just wanted to let everyone know that I’m done with everything. I’ll post all of the pics and info in about an hour. It came out very sexy.

Sweet!! Now I can start painting my case lol.

Good luck with your case Upas. I don’t want to look at sandpaper again for a while. Haha. This process is incredibly tedious and time consuming.

Everything has been uploaded now in the second post of the thread. I really hope this tutorial helps a lot of people out there.

Thanks for putting up the guide. Very comprehensive and easy to follow.

You were right … that is the best looking piece of useless mdf ever.

1 Like