How popular is this game?

It’s literally 6-button Marvel 2. The main differences are that you can choose your team size, you can Crossover Counter in the air, it has LP+LK throws, and there’s no flyscreen, guard breaks, or gravity scaling.

Mike Z knows the MvC2 engine inside-out and went out of his way to include every positive quirk of the engine he could, down to pushblock allowing you to block both high and low simultaneously.

lmao

Is there any actual Marvel 2 player who believes this
Or is this just “Mike Z said it, so it must be true”

Depends on what “knows” means

Any MvC2 player that disagrees is the type of MvC2 player that’s ignorant of how the game actually works.

The games share:
[list][]Pushblock, Pushblock Guard Cancel, and Pushblock Universal Guard (the former completely redone in MvC3, the latter 2 of which are removed in MvC3)
[
]Aerial movement option restrictions by jump (removed in MvC3)
[]DHC scaling reset (removed in MvC3)
[
]Assists that do not attack if you are in hitstun (removed in MvC3)
[]Meter scaling by combo length (removed in MvC3)
[
]Dead body combos (removed in MvC3) – the SGs version only lets you combo a corpse until you hit the wall, which complies with MvC2 tournament rules
[]Double snaps (removed in MvC3)
[
]MvC2 instant hitstun recovery (see the resets thread on Skullheart where I outline how MvC3 discourages resets)[/list]

In addition to magic series, assists, crossover counters, DHCs, snapbacks, and all the other basic mechanics that got ported to MvC3. As somebody who spends a lot of time studying the Children of the Atom engine, Skullgirls is the best replica of it. The differences boil down to balance choices that are less extreme than some of the additions done over the lifetime of the initial engine, short of the removal of flyscreen.

This also does not include a lot of homage mechanics (like Filia’s j.LK framedata purposely being a copy of Magneto j.HK, Gregor being Juggernaut Headcrush, etc).

It’s like everyone forgets that MegamanDS (also one of the guys who pushes the Marvel 2 connection) plays this game.

Mechanics being copied has nothing to do with how a game actually FEELS.
If I just 1:1 copy Super Turbo and then flat remove the Frameskip so the game is some 80% slower, that’s not ST anymore.

MvC2 Magneto has a 1f c.LK and 8 way Airdash
SG “Magneto” has a 7f c.LK and 2 way Airdash

How many chars in SG have a safe on block super that the opponent can’t do anything about, causing badly called assists to tank tons of damage?
How many chars in MvC2 can do that? Bonus points, compare the metergain in both games.

How many invincible assists in MvC2 control half of the screen and lead to full combos on hit?

etc etc etc

I’m no MvC2 player, but from what I’m seeing in Videos, the games really don’t look similar at all.

(I have no idea why you posted the MvC3 crap btw, I didn’t say “SG is MvC3”)

:T

Kind of annihilates your credibility. And actually, a funny thing is the Saturn version of Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game used the Super Turbo engine and people were like, “This feels like Super Turbo!” even though the game had EX moves and Sawada. So that kind of falls apart, too. Besides, if we’re going to split hairs on how each character functions, then am I allowed to cherry-pick costume colors while you cherry pick why Cerebella isn’t a 1:1 copy of Zangief? How many games disallow double jumps if you haven’t manually jumped since your last usage of a double jump, regardless of how many times you’ve entered a grounded or airborne state in the meantime? What about the fact that both games are frameskip 6, or when a glitch was discovered from the CotA-MvC2 engine after SGs came out that glitch was retroactively incorporated into SDE?

(The reason I included the MvC3 comparisons is because that’s the only other 3v3 airdash assist fighter except maybe KoF11.)

edit: You know what?

(1) Wrong moves. Unless you want to just compare any arbitrary moves other than the specific example I mentioned.
(2) How many characters in SG are licensed Marvel characters? How many characters in MvC2 were designed based of 10 years of tournament experience? I don’t know, but the meter gain formula in SGs is literally the same one from MvC2. Whoops!
(3) Psyblade? Captain Corridor (if the opponent doesn’t roll)? Scimitar? Gene Splice? I can keep going.

Man, you’d hate Psyblade.

U just lost the debate, if u don’t know how BOTH games work then u really can’t make comparisons.

Pretty darn popular!

I’d say this game is a wise investment and It’ll still be going on PS4/PS3 and Steam for a LONG time to come. It’s still in active development, after all! And fans love it!

MvC2 is a fireball fest with ultras covering the entire screen. Perhaps there’s a significant amount of similar core mechanics, but the end result is a relatively different beast.

Anyway, more people need to get online PS3 for this.

Finally got a few spare bucks and got this bitch on Steam.

Holy shit this game is fun and the tutorial teaches you everything you need to know and you get so many ideas for combos and shit.
Really well designed game so far.

I take everything back about Street Fighter, though.
Every character plays differently and it’s not really slower than Skullgirls :smiley:

The PC version is definitely the one to get. It doesn’t take much of a system at all to run this game, and there’s an option for 2D backgrounds if your machine is really slow. There’s a separate entry on Steam for the “Endless Beta” of the game which is getting updates and experiments constantly, and all new features/characters/etc. will definitely hit the PC first.

And this is absolutely the way it should be. The PC version is (and should be) the best version, because the developers can easily update the game constantly. It just takes way longer to push stuff out on console. Every single update has to go through the publishers, whereas the PC version can have updates literally every day, and lately it sometimes actually has.

The game is honestly really great. The character design is just incredible. My big issue with it is the length of combos, however the PC/beta versions have had some experiments lately to try to get combo lengths under control. The original IPS system just wasn’t cutting it IMO, but MikeZ seems to be taking complaints about this to heart and is trying to wrestle the beast. It’s still a young game, so who knows? Hopefully it evolves over time to a super tight monster of a game.

I thought the game was a spiritual successor to MvC2 and long combos are are trademark to these kind of games?
Dunno, I mean from what the tutorial told me, combos can be broken if moves are being input more than once in a single combo, so why is this a problem?

Sorry in advance for these noob questions and assumptions.

The combo system isn’t really a problem, you can do up to fairly high percentages but I don’t think you can kill a character in a single combo without resets (unless you have less characters than your opponent)
For newer people the resets can be annoying since they can be done pretty fast and they basically allow for an entirely new combo. 1 or 2 resets and a lot of people can do a full health bar pretty easily.

(You still didn’t play me in stuff qq)

On steam there’s currently 696 players, 8:30 pm EST Monday.

That’s not bad, however if you look at achievement %'s then it becomes shockingly obvious most people who bought skullgirls don’t play it.

Combos in MvC2 were actually quite short. MvC3 went the opposite direction because Japan prefers combos to resets.

There is also a split between players because of the beta. Big Band is not in the full game yet. Also a lot of people don’t really go for achievements. You have to do specific things with each character many times over.

How bout xbl? I bought it for both ps3 and Xbox when it first dropped…I played a lot on ps3 but dropped it waiting on the update (which took forever) and eventually sold my arcade stick for my PlayStation.

I just downloaded the update for the xbl version yesterday after a friend invited me to a gm randomly…I forgot how fun that game was…I been brushing back up on my parasoul tech that I forgot over the months, I would like to get back into it but seriously is it still alive?

I really hate how Mike Z got the short end of the luck with how he’s been having to jump thru hoops w keeping the game available cause its really good…

So what I’ve read…the full update dropped on ps3 and steam only?

Just wanted to chime in, I was intrigued by this game for awhile, but something about it put me off. Then along came a free steam weekend and bam, it was my second most played game. Bought it and the color dlc, I am in Asia (I was in Thailand when I was playing) and even after the free weekend it was still fairly easy to find games. You do need a fairly high speed connection though. My connection in Bangkok was 1 megabit and I got lag fairly consistently even against opponents in Singapore and the Phillipines. The former is the region I play LoL in and never have problems,but hey now I am in vietnam and eying a 10 megabit connection so might be set. Just need a new PC and My Peacock game will be improving, don’t let the single player campaign dissuade you, the multiplayer is where it’s at and it’s amazing, if anyone is in south east Asia and wants to risk the lag steam Id is liminal18 add me and when I get a new PC I will play you.