How does he suck now?

Yea they need to either make him harder to hit(don’t know how, but do it) or give him some more health. Sent should not have less health than wolverine, joe and morrigan to name a freaking few.

Oh well, talking bout this is pointless imo-which is why I usually avoid these types of conversations-he is what he is and we just gotta deal with it unfortunately.

Not even top 5 assists, IMHO.

Tatsu, Missiles, Jam Session, Vajra, Cold Star

All of these are better than Drones. (IMHO)

I am also starting to think Task arrows are better.

I am fine with the health if they gave him an install speed super like Firebrand’s Luminous body and reduced all the recovery on his attacks and normals.

Sentinel and Storm are complex characters and Zero and Vergil aren’t?

Someone is playing way too much online.

Im sorry but just stop right there. Jam session? Cold star? As an ammy main since vanilla I find that claim extremely ridiculous. Drones is a top 5 assist, it isn’t even arguable. Jam session and cold star don’t make characters better, they enhance already good characters. Vajra is a situationally top tier assist, if you don’t have a good OTG(like say storm), you don’t take full advantage of vajra. Hidden missiles works very similar to drones so its arguable which is better. The only assist on that list thats hands down better is tatsu. You can stick drones behind anyone and they automatically become a better character. It covers left/rights, high lows, sets up command grabs, and just about supports every form of offense or defense in the entire game, there isn’t a single character that doesn’t become better with drones, I can list characters that don’t become better with coldstar/jam session/and vajra. The only weakness is how slow it takes for the drones to come out and if you know what your doing you’ll find a way to overcome that minor caveat.

I think he is average, I use to think he was terrible in this version but RayRay and Fanatiq’s Sent actually made me change my mind, he has some mix-ups and is still scary in XF3 if you know how to get a hit in with him. He does however, have a fair share of flaws.

It’s a matter of opinion, but less and less people will be using drones in the future. The fact that it comes with Sent is another reason why people will shy away from him.

Jam Session controls a massive amount of airspace. Dante is relatively safe and locks down long the opponent long enough for mix-ups.
Cold Star is excellent tool for mixups and the distance & angle Ammy attacks makes her relatively safe

Drones are very good, but not as strong as Tatsu, Missiles, or Vajra. And while I believe, Jam Session & Cold Star are superior, if someone put it top 5, I’d have no qualms about it. (I have not even mentioned Gold Armor or Rising Fang)

As you said, they are very slow to come out which makes Sent with his paltry HP, very easy to punish. This is a problem give his current HP. It is NOT a defensive assist. If you use it as such, you get punished for it. (This can be said for many assists)

There are a few characters that would be better with Drones than Missiles or Task Arrows, but they are few and far between. This much is true, but are It is EXACTLY as you have said, if you give someone drones, they become better. Yes, not all characters that pair with Vajra/Jam/Cold become better, but the ones who DO leverage it, get more mileage out of it than drones.

The question I would ask is, are Drones the optimal assist for any 1-2 combination?

Magneto is VERY strong with Missiles. Stronger with Drones? Arguable.
Nova is VERY strong with Task Arrows. Stronger with Drones? Maybe.
Zero with Jam Session is a huge PITA. Stronger with Drones? Arguable.

Haggar, Hulk?

I ask this seriously because it OFTEN comes down to a 1 on 1 game with anchors and Sentinel is currently my anchor on one of my main team. In this scenario, unless I have the advantage of XFactor, it’s often an uphill battle with Sent against the primary anchors I face. (Strider, Wesker, Doom)

Um, I can name multiple characters that don’t become notably better with drones.

Ammy, Hawkeye, Vergil, Level 1-3 Frank, Doctor Strange, Deadpool, Arthur, Morrigan, Trish, X-23

These are also many characters who benefit more from faster beam/projectile assists. Drones is best for characters with great high low mixups. The only character who arguably has a good one on this list is Ammy. Other characters on this list have strong left-rights which are best paired with beam assists or arrows because of the character’s speed/teleport speed and the character with the best left-right teleport mixups (Deadpool) can cover himself and his approaches are more ambiguous because they aren’t tracking teleports.

The only reason not to use drones is because it comes with sentinel, its one of the reasons I totally supported nerfing him in vanilla. He would have become the most popular character in the game because there was literally no reason not to put him on your team.

Jam session and cold star are good assists, but they aren’t game changing assists. Drones is what I like to call a “just add water” assist. All you have to do is stick it on your team, whereas with the aforementioned two you have to make sure your running people who take full advantage of it. I mean the mere fact that there are dante players who don’t even run jam session just proves how not top 5 it really is. Yes drones come out slow, but if you learn how to protect them they make even mediocre characters dangerous, and because of the way they are designed almost every character has a way or protecting drones. Joker over in canada’s ironman isn’t good because of how much time he has put into him, he is good because he has drones behind him, same can be said about fanatiqs storm(Not trying to take anything away from the effort they’ve put into those characters but its just the fact) jam session won’t make ironman a better character and neither would cold star.

Well considering all but I think 1 magneto player(f champ) runs him with drones I think we can admit that magneto is better with drones than hidden missiles. Nova is most definitely better with drones, that isn’t even up for debate, task arrows don’t hold the opponent in block stun long enough for nova to run any mix-ups. Zero is definitely stronger with drones(in fact for the longest time in vanilla people were saying you couldn’t run zero without drones, bullshit, but still), but because of how good he is in this game, you don’t need to run him with an optimal assist and since dante >>>>>>>>>>>>> sentinel it only makes sense to run dante as opposed to sent. I can scarely think of any assist that would help haggar and hulk more than drones, and the fact that most hulks and haggars run drones is proof. I mean sentinel is one of the most used characters in this game for a reason, its not because of how awesome he is on point.

But I’ve also said in spite of the amazing assist you should never run sentinel on anchor, in the middle is where he belongs imo. You put sentinel in the middle with a good assist behind him(vajra, hidden missiles, tatsu(either of them tbh), just about any beam in the game) and he becomes a lot more manageable and actually scary(as knives has shown on numerous occasions).

On a side note, I don’t think doom or strider are a bad match-up for sentinel. Strider Im not 100 on because I don’t know enough about the match-up yet, but doom Im sure off, most of dooms offense is started in the air and with sents j.:m:'s range doom needs to be careful when he is trying to set-up said offense. Pair that with sents numerous armored moves deterring foot dives and I strongy believe doom is even at the very least.

lol Zero is not better with Drones. Jam Session is easily his best assist.

It lets him convert off throws, continue combos, do stupid neutral mixups and welcome mixups, let’s him fish for hits since he can convert off a raw Jam Session call from anywhere, helps him zone…

Drones does what? Allows him to teleport?

There are MANY Magneto players running missiles. Just because they aren’t playing every week at FGTV or a Spooky stream doesn’t mean they don’t exist. There are multiple players in Louisiana, Atlanta, the midwest and even on the East and West Coast from what I’ve seen at majors running Mag/Missiles.

Sentinel is too big a liability to be protected because of how long he’s vulnerable and how slow drones are and drones are too linear an assist in general to be better than Jam Session

Ok lets clear one thing up, other than in a few instances, I never implied drones was every characters best assist, I said it makes everyone better, which is the truth. You can never go wrong by adding drones to your team, whether its worth having sentinel on your team is another story alltogether, but everyone does get better with drones. It might not be their best assist, and I admit I was prolly mistaken in regards to zero. And obviously I didn’t mean literally every magneto c’mon man don’t be anal like that.

With that said, it is a top 5 assist, Im never budging on that argument. It does far too much, you say it only helps characters with high lows, but unknown bodies people with wesker/drones and yoshi does it with chris/drones, neither character having a high low, I mean its not the best assist for every type of mix-up, but it sets up literally every type of mix-up, very few assists can say the same. And it helps keep-away I can’t believe were even having this argument, the amount of hit-stun on them allows a lot of keepaway characters to convert stray projectile hits into full combos. Hawkeye can get a lot of mileage off them, even though they might not be his best assist they do help him out substantially. And I’ve literally seen magneto’s hit a full screen disruptor, it combos into drones and he has enough time to dash in and get a full combo. I mean if drones doesn’t help with keep away, I don’t know type of assist does.

If you honestly believe jam session is better than drones overall we are prolly never gonna see eye to eye and really should just agree to disagree. Once you’ve learnt when and where to call the assist(which is the case with almost every assist) its weaknesses are greatly over shadowed by its positives.

The reason why Sentinel is a “liability” is because people are LAZY. Drones is single-handedly, the best assist in the game IMO. The only other real contender is Jam Session.

The DRONES do everything, you just have to know how to apply them properly (NO HERP-DERP BS). The only reason why Missiles are just as good as Drones (and why they’re used more) is because Doom has an easy-mode, derp hit-confirming attack that can be made safe; not to mention that his meter-gain is better than Sentinel’s, and he has more health. Also, THE MISSILES DO NOT GO AWAY IF DOOM IS HIT. That alone is why he’s currently favored over Sentinel, because since Drones are too good, they had to keep Sentinel in check by making the drones go away if he is hit. (REMEMBER MvC2 Drones Assist?)

EVERYONE GETS BETTER WITH DRONES, if you’re character doesn’t get better, than you’re doing something wrong.

Besides, characters like Zero and Magneto become complete with Drones, because they can do whatever they please.

The only character that doesn’t get better with Drones is SENTINEL HIMSELF because you can’t have more than 1 sentinel on your team.

You get Character - Drones - Missiles and you have all the walks of life covered, pretty much.

Best assist in the game was hyperbole, but it’s definitely top 5, probably top 3, and possibly number 1 for a large number of teams. It locks down long enough for anyone to apply at least 2 mixups, the better mixup character get 3+, the slightly upward angle is better than the dead straight one of arrows/beams or the down angled one of Cold Star, it doesn’t scale combos anything like other assists, it offers big damage extensions to most of the cast. It’s slow moving enough to cover an entire approach for any character, but also simultaneously takes up huge amounts of space at one time like a beam…

Cold star covers a lot of these but it doesn’t get you in, Missiles scale combos much harder and leave Doom even more vulnerable than Sent, Vajra is a destroyer in certain matchups but is relegated just to a reset mixup assist in others, Tatsu and Jam Session would be the other two assists that i have up there, but they serve a different purpose.

And Nova/Drones > Nova/Arrows is not even close.
Admittedly Zero/Jam Session > Zero/Drones is even less close

And as a Frank player, i can definitely tell you that low level Frank does benefit from Drones.

lol? I love that every character gets better with drones simply because you say so… yet you don’t take the time to specify how especially after I make a list of characters who get little to nothing out of drones. The two simple facts that missiles don’t go away if Doom gets hit and can hit anywhere on screen makes that assist better than drones. By the way, no one is factoring in Doom on point when they say missiles is the better assist, so please don’t bother mentioning that. Missiles, jam session and tatsu all have something to say in the “best assist” department. Also claiming that drones is the best assist because they changed it from MVC2 is laughable. By that logic Doom rocks must be amazing and Jam Session really is the best assist because it’s basically Captain Corridor that you can confirm off of (they just changed it a tad to make Dante vulnerable for a few frames when he comes out because it was theoretically OP in MVC2).

Also, Wesker does have pretty good high lows with H teleports (or just neutral jumps tbh) because his j. H and j. S are absurd and can be done relatively low to the ground. I also said characters with good high lows benefit most from drones, not that it was a necessity to benefit at all. Also, note I didn’t mention Chris because I know how Chris gets better with Drones. It helps him set up incendiaries (which can also set up high low mixups… zomg) and lets him extend combos. Magneto converting off drones full screen distance is cool and all, but he can set up from full screen distance AND height with missiles. Hawkeye may or may not have been an oversight. That depends on whether you value you an assist for Hawkeye that keeps them at bay… when you’re already out of their reach, rather than keeping them away from you completely.

Simple question: Do you like Sentinel? Based off the tone from your posts, it seems that you really don’t like him.

Sentinel has never been a character that appealed to me because he was far too powerful in MVC2 even at a basic level and in MVC3 he’s just boring.

However, I’m not one of the many who think he’s a shitty character just because he has a large hurtbox because if you’re playing Sentinel correctly (see: RayRay) he shouldn’t be on the ground and in range of your normals to give a fuck about getting hit. Unless you’re fighting a character with a great reversal/counter just spam air normals and you should be fine.

I don’t let my disinterest in the character influence my opinion of his assist. For tri-dash characters it’s a gimme and for some with lesser but good air mobility it is also useful (Spencer, Spiderman) but it does so little for such a large portion of the cast to be considered the absolute best assist when others such as missiles, jam session and even tatsu do so much .

Drones, like Missiles, make the opponent change their gameplan simply because of the fact that the Drones/Missiles can disrupt a combo or open them up.

Nova & Frank are BFFs. I see Nova + Task Arrows being a very solid combination as well. I think you are being a bit disingenuous by saying it’s not close.

It’s pretty easy to keep Doom safe. And while missiles do scale combos, they provide a host of benefits that Drones do not.

My point is, I often hear Drones as a de facto top 5 assists, but I am starting to see other assists take the place of Drones as teams become optimized. As Sirius mentioned, Tri-Dashers will still benefit from the assist and he will still be part of the end-game because of Drones.

I do enjoy the character, but as my teams expand and I being to optimize my teams, I find other assists become more optimal. Drones are still solid and I keep Sentinel on some of my teams. If he had more HP and could withstand ONE bad assist call, then he’d go up the list a bit.

Okay then lets take this one at a time:

Amateratsu: About 3 different instant overhead set-ups, plus she can actually combo off a full screen cold star shot with drones, but you already touched on this so lets not waste time here.
Hawkeye: Bolsters his keep away, allows him to combo off his gimlets, increases the amount of damage he can get from stray full screen arrows exponentially. Plus Im sure he can prolly convert a hit off drones into a net arrow > full combo from a lot of ranges.
Vergil: Does a decent job of covering his left/rights, not as good as a beam obviously but solid none the less.
Lvl 1-3 frank: Yea I know nothing of this character, but since drones work well with captain america and his roll is one directional Imma assume they help this brother out if only a little.
Doctor Strange: Similar to frank I can only assume here, it’ll prolly bolster his keep away and since he has an invincible hyper counter in addition to a full screen tracking hyper he prolly has the tools to protect sent a lot better than a lot of character. Could also give him some decent left rights in a similar vien to his eye of agamato
Deadpool: Also bolsters his keep away by filling the screen with shit(in a similar vein to cable with drones). Gives him decent coverage on his left/rights in addition to his overhead.
Arthur: Same as hawkeye sans the net arrow stuff.
Morrigan: Yea I got nothing.
Trish: Covers her instant overheads(and makes it actually combo), allows her to box and tri dash much more freely, protects her left rights, actually gives her some horizontal pressure when she is doing her lame out thing. I actually play trish/sentinel, and not to sound like a groupie or anything but even rdk and jago said they like the pairing.
X-23: Gives her so much time to do her feint left right thingy while also setting up command grabs. I don’t play enough of this character to know enough about how good they are for her, but I see tatsu doing well with this pairing(in addition to deadpool) so one must assume there’s something here.

Sentinel just won several top tier matches (RayRay comebacks) and was on a major-winning team (Fanatiq’s MSS).

This character is good enough, I guess.