How do YOU use Vector Drain?

punishing things that are unsafe is not unique to vector drain. just saying

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also grabbed tron out of this corner infinite-like xfactor blockstring with her drill that otherwise seemed inescapable.

It being a 1-frame move with range beyond a normal grab opens some options others don’t have. “Just saying.”

that was more directed towards things like dimension slash in the corner, or unsafe blockstrings

but yeah the range is a big deal, i didn’t think of that. please forgive my condescending remark

Just so no one gets confused, I said vector drain will punish vergil’s corner hyper on hit, not block. meaning, his hyper connects, morrigan’s knocked down, he recovers roughly the same time morrigan gets up, Vergil player attempts to start cr. :l: storm, and vector drain :h: connects instead.
A blocked maximum Vergil is one of the more punishable things in the game; vector drain would be a poor choice in that situation.
the middle of iron fist’s, or any, blockstring isn’t unsafe, i guess the zero i grabbed made a mistake in his timing, and the tron blockstring definitely had a hole in it, but it most likely couldn’t even be punished with a cr. :l:

i never used to use vector drain in actual matches, but now i’m able to land it about 2 or 3 times per match! and not just against those 1 in 1,000 people who block too much in this game.
you know those times when morrigan’s cr. :l: isn’t fast enough to punish something and ends up getting blocked>pushblocked? that should have been a vector drain. hulk keeps mashing st. :h: for an armored frame trap? vector drain. opponent keeps blocking after their safe normal is blocked? vector drain.
i also think vector drain can punish vergil’s dimension slash (on hit, chirp) when he used it right next to morrigan, not just when they’re in the corner. mashing vector drain :h: during otherwise inescapable frame traps, etc. is working for me, but i don’t recommend that against characters like taskmaster who always go into that airborne mighty swing business.

after vector drain lands, you can either do shadow servant>DHC, or air dash mixup with or without assists. sad thing is i never knew vector drain adds HSD. i mean, it’s just a one hit grab. make sure to test vector drain>powerup DHC, combo to make sure it won’t drop.

HSD is time based, so any throw that a takes a long time, like Vector Drain, will wrack up a lot of HSD.

you should just change your name to “knowitall” lol jk.
do you mean how long the animation for the throw is? in that case, vector drain has one of the longer animations in umvc3 maybe besides stupid skrull.

i could be wrong, but i’m pretty sure vergil recovers before the other character gets up. meaning you’re not punishing dimension slash, you’re punishing the other player’s bad decision to enter morrigan’s throw range and do 2l.

regarding hsd after vector drain, shadow servant dhc to dante’s devil trigger, air trick, j.s, cold shower>prop shredder works fine, so hitstun scaling isn’t too bad. you’re not going to get a ton of damage out of it without spending another bar for million dollars, though.

Yeah, HSD starts as soon as you score the first hit, or land a grab. And yep, Vector Drain is slow as shit, so if you do convert off it, you become limited in follow ups. Typically, you use X-factor for full follow ups, so it’s not so bad but if you DHC Shadow Servant to someone with an install (other than Vergil, he gives no fucks) you’ll find the follow ups more limited than you would expect.

[media=youtube]bhcvIiMSMck[/media]

Description

[details=Spoiler] so i did some actual testing in training room, and here’s what i found:
it depends on how much the vergil player mashed. i think vector drain will still work as long as he didn’t get the full number of hits. vergil dummy set to dimension slash hyper and cr. :l: mash after. still doesn’t make any sense because i always grabbed vergil in this scenario when i was playing online, and i assume people mash the hell out of that hyper.

and there’s no need to do the dante combo i did because he doesn’t build meter in DT. vector drain, Shadow servant>million dollars does somewhere in the 600,000 range for 2 bars and the combo in the video did a little more than 800,000. [/details]

Dimension Slash isn’t mashable for the record, it’s just mostly random hits.

are you sure? when i just did the hyper, it was 19 hits, and when i mashed cr. L during the hyper, it came out to 29. i just assumed it was mashable. maybe it depends on placement, then.

Everyone assumed it was mashable, guide even says it is, but you can use turbo to test and it’s not, as far as I can tell it’s random, but there may be some positions you can get more hits from more reliably.

Best way to test the above is with sentinel. I tested both on the ground and after high time, devil trigger and non devil trigger, and aside from positioning on the screen there’s no notable difference. The reason for testing against sentinel is he’s so huge he gets hit by a majority of the hits. As a vergil player, I’m kind of amazed I never noticed this…heh. Ty nooneyouknow

gosh, i finally grabbed a hulk in the beginning of the match with break away>vector drain. it’s a little harder than doing it in training with break away on.
i also vector drained an ammy out of her F+:h: spam. woo hoo!

i never realized the blockstrings that tron players keep using have holes in them; they seem pretty tight. vector drained a tron player twice in the same match. <3