How can I get better at Umvc3?

Stop playing online.

Well, what we’ve now established, is that you make statements based on stuff that you’ve “seen”, that you haven’t actually confirmed yourself, and then tell people to listen to you and not the people correcting you when challenged?

So why should we listen to a word you have to say again?

When new players ask for advice, establishing who to listen to and who is talking nonsense is important. That’s what this thread has achieved so far. Welcome to the internet.

Eh no need to be mean about it. People make misinformed answers and until they get all uppity on defending the point without being provoked, be civil. Are Martian’s statements wrong? Yes. But call them out with facts and give them the benefit of the doubt till they reply. We all start somewhere and some of us come from different exposures of the game and may not be aware of advanced theory.

Again, it was the only statement of the entire wall of text that I made knowing little about it, yet people can’t seem to get off my nuts about it now. I’m just gonna edit that bit out seeing as how most of you are hellbent on being right over someone else rather than helping out OP. You guys claim you know so much more about this game than me just because of my Hulk statement, yet you disregard the relevance of the rest of the comment saying none of it was true or helpful, which is just a flatout lie.

-Do you need to spend hours upon hours just training? Yes.
-Are the things I said about my main team true? Yes.
-Does this game reward offensive strategies and capitalize on offense as well? Yes.
-Are ABC combos the begginer building blocks to understanding how to pull of combos in this game? For most, yes, they are.

All of these points and more, and yet somehow you players who claim “I’ve never played this before” can’t recognize those points as true. Go figure.

I edited the comment, so go look at it now. Everything besides that one damn statement was accurate as well as helpful. Let’s all put on our big boy pants and realize that mistakes can ACTUALLY be made across the internet (Weird!) so we can get back to the topic, which is helping OP.

On it.

Honestly i’m past caring, i’m just having a bit of fun at this point, but i’d be wary about defending things so adamantly that you aren’t sure about in future, that’s all.

before this gets worst realize that all sides made poor choices in communication. Martian had some incorrect statements that did have some accurate intent even if the phrasing had arguable gaps and the way he was attacked provoked him to defend himself and create this little tif. I’ve had this done to me a million times, just end it here. Glean the accurate parts and correct the incorrect ones and do it with out making the other feel stupid for putting in what they believe is correct. This isn’t helpful.

</maturity>

I’m pretty much done myself. I corrected what I felt needed to be corrected and OP can take it for what it’s worth.

Apologies to OP for anything too misleading.

plactice

Hsien-Ko is the best anchor in the game

In xfactor she can TOD ANYONE, and she doesn’t afraid of anything.

practice. Practice some more. Practice again. Practice until your fingers fall off, then play with your toes. Then you can maybe get to 5th lord. maybe. Play a team that you like. Stick with it. Go to tournaments, play the best people you can find. Try to beat those people in long sets. Then go to majors, you wont win, but you will get lots of experience. Then just try to get as good as possible at that point.

Watch lots of matches of top players who play the characters you like and see what kind of assists they use and for whAt purpose, and learn when to use assists. Learning when to use assists is very important as what assist to use, for example doom missiles were a great assist, but if I see someone call him out, then I’m throwing beam supers all day! He stays out so long that you have time to catch him with a super on reaction. When I first started plaing online part of my strategy was punishing assist calls whenever possible and it got me a lot of wins.
Another is practice mixups and resets. Starting and finishing combos is more important than the combos themselves. If you have ways reliable ways of opening people up with your characters then you will be less nervous and surprised when you get the hit and can confirm into combo more consistantly. As far as resets, they are a way to control a match. Marvel is a crazy game. If you can end a combo by leaving your opponent in a situation that limits their options, them you control the match. It’s also a way to get big damage and kill without burning a lot of meter. To learn these watch top players and practice setting them up.
As far as teams go, yes there are certain characters that have more options than others. This is where we get tiers from as far as who is ass tier and who is god tier. Character placement on a team is usually affected by placing characters in positions that best utilize assets and covers weaknesses. With this in mind this game is so open with such a variety of characters and assists that I believe that you can pick three of your favorite characters and with proper assists and team order, can make them work. As an example, a lot of people use sent on anchor because of drones, and if they get down to sent only they pretty much expect to die ( vid any won evo with this strategy by stating that if he ever had only Hagar left, he lost. So don’t worry about what characters to use have fun with the ones you like and find a creative strategy that will allow them to work!

You forgot to add don’t effing cry when you lose.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Lol, I think what Todler316 was trying to say is learn from losses. Ask what went wrong, how can you avoid that mixup or block said mixup. What could you do better. You will never get better by always winning because you won’t learn. Losing is what teaches you and grows your game

TEAM BUILDING:

Point character: Needs good meter build, good combos, great movement, etc. Basically, this character needs to have his matchups figured out 100%. If their was one character who could beat the entire cast solo, this would be his position.

The MiddleMan: Can provide assistance to point character. Very important that this character capitalizes off of meter use, as if he wastes your meter, the anchor will have nothing to work off of. By great meter usage, i do not mean punish hypers. Punish hypers like Dr. Stranges are best left to the anchor for X-factor 3 power up. This character can generally work as a point character as well, as the differences are slight and hard to notice. For example, this position works in a runaway/heavy zoning dormammu’s favor, as you can build meter with point character, DHC into ball (point character needs to make this safe), and power up his hands for neutral game while getting out some chip.

Anchor: Generally focused as your assist character, i personally don’t play expecting this character to have to do anything else but assist the other two. Also best if this character is very effective in XF3. A lot of the best players don’t worry about XF3 for this position, as they bet everything on super strong point and middleman game. This is why morridoom’s doom is generally anchor, as the strategy is so strong that it rarely comes down to the last character. However, this is not to say you shouldn’t build a generic team around your real teams anchor for learning purposes. You still need to learn this character in and out.

In short if your losing so much and not understanding the game, put doom missiles as anchor and learn to control yourself in game with the breaks it provides. it will also help your mixup game, and it isn’t a necessary character that i’m suggesting for your team, but i did find using it helped me a lot in the beginning.

I have a lot of disagreements in this. Some of it subscribes to theories that are viable but not a rule of thumb. There’s typically 3 schools of thought to go with: balanced, gimick, front loaded.

[LIST]
[*]In a standard balanced team your point character is the one that can utilize assists the most and can often be described as the one who NEEDS them the most, making them not ideal to take on the cast solo. Your secondary largely plays to the synergy with the point either through assists, DHC or another gimick. It can also be considered point character #2 if they both benefit from anchor assist. Anchor should be the character that is solid in match ups and does not need assists. They should also make good use of XFC 3. Meter wasting roles can be either second or anchor.

[*]In a gimick team you focus purely on synergy that requires multiple characters or a conditional that offers a greatly rewarding offense. Typically these are all or nothing and run a risk reward if a character is lost or the gimick isn’t given a chance to manifest. Teams are formed on the basis of accomplishing the gimick as it’s main concern versus match ups as characters die off.

[*]front loaded are teams that ignore the typical second and/or anchor role and push for your point and secondary to take advantage of a powerful assist to avoid needing the anchor. Sentinel and doom anchor teams reflect this, with the argument being that the gain of the assist offset the fact they are not great anchors. The goal is to win with your point or point and second entirely.
[/LIST]
There’s a lot of freedom with team builds and it’s hard to say THIS is how it’s done, but theses 3 schools of thought give you options to consider. Every team arrangement can place influence on what’s more important, but there’s player preference as well. Always think of what characters need to be effective and how they contribute and mix and match different theories till you find the balance you like.

What characters would you recommend as Anchors in this situation of, not needing assists to deal with an opposing team?

Well anchors typically dont use assists…because they’re the last character standing. Characters like Dorm, Mag, Task, Strider, Vergil makes strong cases as characters that can fight without assists and win especially with access to meter and XFC. The idea of an anchor is either to be very powerful with XFC/meter (strider) or well rounded with no bad match ups (Task). Characters with poor safety, no way to open up an opponent, or get in without an assist typically make bad anchors. Cap is an example of a very bad anchor since he has no move safety and no way to open up an opponent till he has an assist.

My anchor for a while has been Akuma, due to air fireballs being a way to get in when I’m not playing like crap. Though Dorm and Vergil are character I would like to learn. Are there any other characters that are good as anchors or is it really just them 5 that are best at getting in dealing damage with no assist?

There’s many factors to consider. In a front loaded team doom can make a lot of sense since you’re banking on the opponent being weakened and doom can play a keep away game with their anchor or chip them out…but if faced with a full team he can have issues with zoning and keep away teams and not be allowed to play.

When looking for a solid anchor to hold a team there’s a few characters to look at but you’re looking for either very strong with meter/XFC or balanced like i said. There’s quite a few characters to name that are noted anchors: Magneto, Strider, Hawkeye, Vergil, Taskmaster, Phoenix, Felicia, Chun-li, Akuma, Spencer, Dante, Wesker would be some to consider. This doesn’t mean there aren’t more these just typically have viability in the role. They have safe ways to attack, movement, make great use of XFC and meter. Keep in mind some characters like Hawkeye for example are only really good during the XFC and suffer bad much ups when it runs out if they have no assist so burning it early against 3 opponents is risky. Vergil on the other hand is fine so long as he has meter.

Always think of how a character needs to get in and deal damage. Task has no mix up, but he has free pressure with awesome normals,movement, and chip damage as well as a brutal hyper from anywhere, so he doesn’t care if he can’t land a solid hit. Hulk on the other hand can’t do much. He has no answer to zoning and he is easily advanced guarded unless he takes serious risk doing unsafe charges. Hulk can’t get in and stay in to set up his mix up throw and j.:s: cross and without assists it’s very easy to patiently block his armor attacks. Strider on the other hand uses the speed of XFC to be a constant threat and boost his damage, then he can fall back on meter for even more insanity. You are forced to deal with constant pressure and cross ups till you crack.

Right, solid advice and I’m at least half decent (when I’m not playing like crap) with Dante and Akuma.

I guess I just think a little weird but I always thought the bigger characters like Thor, Haggar, Tron etc would make good anchors, but I guess they only look okay on paper.