Hopeless Fighter; The Life and Times of 40%Flashkick (Formerly Shinku Gadoken)

~April 19th Edition~
The Family who fights together…

Now that everyone’s had Street Fighter X Tekken for a bit over a month now, I can safely say this is definitely one of the better games of our generation. But that’s just my opinion. This is a game I feel that if I really put all of my time and energy into, I can excel at it. Online I just reached 10K BP, and now I’m aiming for A rank. Hopefully in due time I’ll become even better.

But that’s just personal thoughts on how I may become better. As for the game itself, I’ve never felt so quite at home with a game. Not since Marvel 3, anyway. This is one of those games where you can apply everything you’ve learned in every fighting game in almost every match, while simultaneously using that same knowledge to expand on the things the game gives you. And the accessibility at even the most rudimentary of levels is fantastic. It’s to the point where my nephew, who can’t play SF4 to save his life, actually won a few ranked games himself. I love him to death, and this little inclusion into the fighting game scene just makes me love him more. So people bitch and complain about the game being ‘easy mode’ but if it makes it to the point where my nephew has an innate desire to want to improve? Then please, continue making things easy mode, if it brings me closer to my loves ones.

Do you guys have family who play fighting games with you?

~May 1st Edition~
A Winner is Me

So I’m fairly stoked. About two weeks ago I went up to Kalamazoo, MI and won my first Marvel tournament. Sure it was only a ranbat, but the fact that I was able to win was pretty awesome. Lemme share the final round highlight with you.

I was in pain. My chest had dropped a stone in my lungs and it was hard to breathe. My brain felt deprived of oxygen. Vergil too was running on Empty. Though the demon had faced many an opponent before him, even squaring off against his own brother and triumphing, Wesker had proven to be much more powerful than some genetically enhanced human. Maybe it was the fact Vergil had faced so many opponents and was already tired, but we could all see it in the way he fought. He didn’t finish moves properly, he faltered during combination attacks and wound up mostly trying to out run his opponent, but he was at his wits end. One more attack, and Wesker will have finished him. Luckily, Wesker too seemed drained. He looked as though he would fall with one more successful attack. Looking back from Vergil, I stole a glance at my own opponent. He was zoned in, focused. He wasn’t like me at all, my mental state almost shattered, but I was hanging on by a thread. Vergil looked to Wesker…
*“What do you say we end this?” With a smirk, Vergil would reach for his blade’s handle, slowly walking towards Wesker, who only seemed to smile. His Sunglasses were broken, so as he smiled, his eyes would glow an eerie ethereal red, the man walking towards Vergil in response. “I thought you’d never ask…” in that instant, both combatants took to the air, Wesker and Vergil striking at one another, an outstretched Elbow going to try and crush Vergil in mid-air, while in a flash of light, Vergil drew his sword and just as quickly resheathed it. The two combatants would land on opposite sides of each other, with Wesker reaching into his coat and pulling out a pair of sunglasses, Vergil landing, and faltering to one knee, using his sword to hold him up. Though Wesker stood tall, it was but only for a moment, as his body would crumple over, falling almost as if in slow motion, before Vergil would smile, standing up again and brushing off his coat, slowly walking away from the battle.

Me on the other hand? My fist flew into the air, thrusting up valiantly as Vergil scored the final attack, the loud announcer’s voice bellowing out the K.O. I’d desired for so long, before I’d collapse against a wall myself, the battle having put Vergil at a Magic Pixel, and the mere fact I’d managed to pull off a victory after so long of not ever attaining any Marvel 3 wins. Finally I stood back up, and shook hands with my opponent, a stupid grin on my face. Sure, the tournament wasn’t very big, but it was a victory nonetheless. And yet, even knowing this as I left to go home that day, I told myself it was a meaningful victory. Already, though, I realized it was time to move on. After all, a good player enjoys his victories, but doesn’t dwell on them.

I can say this much, I’m looking forward to the next tournament.*

I also went to another tournament for Street Fighter X Tekken, but lost in one of the final rounds and only got 4th place. Those Zangief players man, they really fuck with my head. At any rate, I’ll be sure to do better next time.

See ya next time~
~Shinku Gadoken

nice writing, good luck to you

Thanks Turbo. I appreciate the support.

~May 20th~
The Arcade

Whew. It’s been a nice last week. I spent time in Washington State, Bellingham and in Seattle as well, and my time there has taught me that there are a lot of fantastic and wonderful people to be had of all shapes and sizes. I would definitely recommend moving out of whatever no name town you live in order to get more people to play against, or even to immerse yourself in culture. And if you do live in a big city? Fantastic~

Anyway, I have never played in an Arcade before against real live players. Sure I’d played in Tournaments on Consoles, but never at an actual Arcade. So, I got to say something I’d been wanting to say for a long time.

‘I got next.’

After the game between a really good Dudley and Rufus player ended, I sat my happy ass down, didn’t even make eye contact with my opponent, swiped my game card, and we had a first to five set. I beat the Dudley player, and his friend the Rufus player, only to have someone sit down who played Crimson Viper beat the crap out of me. But it was fun. Though just as I was about to talk to my new found opponents, I got a phone call from my parents. Seems the fun had to end as we were to head back to the hotel. I knew one day I’d see them all again, even if I didn’t get their names.

Also, I’m fairly convinced Asians are godlike at any fighting game they pick up.

~May 31st Edition~
I think god hates me

No this isn’t going to be some religious rant about the powers that may or may not be. Just a small thing I’ve noticed that disgruntles me. That and a personal update about a family member.

So people hate Street Fighter X Tekken. I get it. It has bugs and game breaking glitches in it. I get it. People don’t wanna watch it on stream. I get it. What I don’t get is this; why am I good at this game that nobody likes? Is it because people aren’t trying to open it up anymore? Or maybe I’m just playing it so religiously that I’ve attained some semblance of ability while playing it. Whatever the reason is, it doesn’t matter how good I get at the game if nobody wants to play it with me. And that sucks. Here I thought I was actually good at something when in reality, I just don’t have enough opponents to confirm it. I mean I love this game, I do, but, not many people seem to share my sentiments in that regard. Maybe its just where I live, or maybe the FGC Just doesn’t have faith in the available games we have anymore. I dunno. I should stop caring. But, alas…

Anyway, something else that’s got me down. My father recently fell ill, and… Well, He’s been sick for three straight days now and can’t keep anything down. We’re still waiting to hear from the doctor to see how he is, if its gonna pass or…

I hope he gets better.

Anyway, see ya next time everyone.

~June 5th Edition~
Virtua Fighter, the Virtual Fighter? (Also Tournament Talk)

This game has my excited, I will not lie. Why? Not because of any story elements or any kind of stupid gimmicks, but because of its training mode. It goes up and above everything we’ve seen so far with any fighting game to date. Instead of recording situations in which you can train against, the game offers the ability to set it up as though you’re playing like a real opponent. They won’t do the same thing over and over, they’re able to change combos according to what you have programmed in. Mix-Up training? Yes please. This is easily getting me hyped up for a 3D Fighter. Not because of the game itself, but for its features!

Anyway, I have 3 Straight tournaments coming up, and I’m kind of excited. If I can win at least one of them, I’ll feel confident enough to go to something even bigger. Maybe I’ll even think about going to Evo. The thing that’s got me hype is that I’ll be seeing a lot of rematches against some old rivals, and I’ll be taking some people up in the matches of a life time~ So, all of ya get ready, cause mister Gadoken is coming to town.

Also, FUCK, THE NEW DMC HAS ME HYPED UP THE HELL HOLE!

FUUUUCK.

~June 12th Edition~
Winning, it’s not impossible

What haven’t I talked about yet? … I don’t know. I’ve seen a sudden return to Super Street Fighter 4 lately due to me just wanting to play a game where I can practice my fundamentals and get better at links, pokes, and otherwise playing a solid pressure game. Cody has been rolling out with Evil Ryu lately, with Guy heading up the back in case things don’t always work out for them. I’ve also noticed, I’m not quite the Online Warrior I used to be, I’ve been losing and winning my fair share of games online, only to place well at some Ranbat Tournaments in Kalamazoo. Last week infact I managed to take 1st Place in SF4. That’s pretty big for me, because I don’t think I’ve ever won a Money Street Fighter 4 tournament before. (Granted, my biggest competition hadn’t been practicing the game very much, but a win’s a win). Followed previously by Two UMvC3 wins, I’ve been more focused than ever to try and take on everyone I can and become the super fighter I’ve always wanted to be. Quite frankly, I think I’m almost there.

With the Michiana Clash and a SavePoint Tournament happening on Saturday, I’ll be able to really test my mettle and see if all this training I’ve been doing is going to work out for me or not. If anything it’ll prove if I really have improved or if I’ve just been pretending like I’m good. Hopefully I’ve actually picked up some semblance of skill playing all of these games, and I’ll place well in the tournament. If not, well… I guess it’s back to training.

I really wanna win the Street Fighter X Tekken tournament.

Also, Shameless Plug of my Twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/ShinkuNice

~June 23rd Edition~
Tag Team Economics

I personally think more games should have multiple player set ups. Seriously. Games are too fun to not have a good partner on your side. And it really brings us all together.

Take for example, today’s JAFAX tournament that was held in Grand Rapids. We saw some really interesting and insane team combinations that brought out some of the best in the game of Street Fighter X Tekken. Daniel In (Black Belt Status) and I teamed up for a rousing set of games against some very strong players. We even met a team playing our same team (Jin and Kazuya) at one point. We got to act as coaches for a moment. URYIA! I loved it. The whole thing went well. And Dan and I didn’t lose any games, wound up taking the whole tournament, even against Antwan Ortiz (Tha’Alucard) and Chauncy Talon. I just… I’m ecstatic right now.

I guess we found our game. And as a Team, I think we’ll be unstoppable.

~July 13th Edition~
Gotta try harder

Antwan Ortiz (Tha’Alucard) is a powerful player within the (Michigan) fighting game community. If he gets even better, he’ll be up there with BananaKen and Wolfkrone here in Michigan. The man is some kind of evil genius when it comes to Marvel and Street Fighter, and I only barely managed to defeat him in SFxT. I say barely because I had to Jin his Hugo and Marduk to death, with the help of my team mate Daniel In (Black Belt Status). After we won, he’s resolved not to play the game anymore. Personally I think he means he won’t play it if he knows he may lose against some strong players. But that’s just my opinion, and he probably only does it for the money anyway. Which I can respect, guy’s gotta eat after all.

Anyway, the only reason I say anything is because for one, I really respect Antwan’s abilities in all of the games he plays, even if he doesn’t like some of them. However, I want to get that good too. As a result, I’ve been playing Street Fighter a lot more lately, and with the passing of Evo (dammit, Daigo got fifth…) I’ve been motivated to play even more. Hopefully by the time it’s all said and done, I’ll have some kind of standing within the community in SF4. Hopefully Dan and I will make it out to the New York SF 25th Anniversary tournament and clean up in SFxT, and hopefully SF4 as well.

I don’t really want to play Marvel anymore. And if I do, I’ll just play Ryu, Vergil, and Hawkeye. It’s all I care to play anyway.

~July 24th Edition~
Tournaments: Back to Back to Back!

So it seems I’ve got a tournament every Saturday for the next… Four or five weeks. Awesome! Normally such a schedule would be overwhelming, but I’ll have the transportation, the desire, and the ability to take out as many players as I can in my effort to win TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! … Oh, and a car.

Anyway, short update until my brain functions better.

~August 15th Edition~
I hate losing…

"Guile wasn’t giving up, no matter how aggressively I played, he wouldn’t lower his arms from his block for a moment. Hwoarang tried to smash him in the head and break his momentum, but it was to no avail, he saw through the ploy and struck the Tae Kwon Do Prodigy in the leg twice, a third time with his extended leg, and before I knew it, it was over. Julia had tagged in and Shoulder Checked him into the ground. Though arrogant in practice and in battle, that arrogance had cost him the fight. Jin fell to his knees as he’d realized it was over.

The round was finished. I had lost."

Hey everyone, if my short introduction is any indicator to anything, I recently lost out in fourth place at the Michigan Masters tournament to a player (Steve-O) using a Guile and Julia team. I wound up getting baited into a bad situation by rushing in on characters who out footsied my own. It unfortunately cost me the match when I over reacted and recklessly pursued my opponent in an effort to score more damage on a decreasing timer. Ultimately it just comes to being outplayed.

And I hate it.

You’d think the amount of time I put into combos, set ups, all that other wonderful Jargon would come into play, but all it did was wind up getting me screwed as I fell into predictability and ate about 30 low shorts into cross rush combos. But, that’s the wonderful thing about losing, it teaches you to not fall for stupid stuff and to try and be more flexible in your set ups and game play. Losing because of something dumb your opponent does is one thing, but losing because ‘you’ were playing stupidly? It’s a whole other ball game.

Holy shit. Has it been a whole month already? I better get back to updating this!!

~September 16th Edition~
**“A God Versus A Hopeless Fighter” **

“I WILL DEFEAT YOU!” Running up the tower steps, I faced the third in a long line of fights, facing down a legion of flunkies yet again. Raising my fists and solidifying my stance, I waited for the first one to approach. In a simple kick combo, the opponent was down. The second one I got the jump on, jumping through the air and smashing my heel on his head, before spinning around into a solid round house kick, only to send him flying into a wall, the last one hesitated to approach, and that was his mistake. I punched left, right, stance change, right again, before spinning around and sending him off into the background with a vicious roundhouse kick to the jaw. The room was empty, save for the knocked out enemies, and I lowered my guard.

A noise caught my attention. I turned to face the unseen opponent, only to be shocked at what I saw. It was a bear. A Bear wearing a Karate Gi. Kuma was his name. … No. Not Kuma. Seth. The nameplate said Seth. Seth was the owner of the bear? I didn’t care. Needless to say, the Bear swung its paws around in the air, like it wanted to fight. And I had time to kill. So I raised up my hands. In some other universe I could hear the announcer yelling out ‘Fight!’ And it was on. I rushed in, spinning around in a solid kick aimed to smash the bear in the head, to no avail, it caught my attack and I was forced to kick off, and reposition myself. Big mistake. The bear rolled forward, and in my hesitation he caught me with his foot. Before I knew it, I was airborne, spinning around on my back. I was a circus act. With a push, the bear pumped me up off of his legs and I flew into the air, only to slam onto the ground. Recovering quickly I spun back to my feet. Maybe it was weak to low strikes? With this in mind I focused more on a fundamental set of attacks, a Left right combo into a Low Kick, the first two strikes being blocked, only for the last to strike him in the knees. Yes! A good hit! In my haste I tried to lift my leg up sideways, aiming to knock the bear off of its feet. That was a mistake. A Giant Bear Claw came crashing down on my face. And another. And a third one! By this point I was too dizzied to stay on my feet, an I fell to my back.

It took me but a moment to come to my senses and roll back into stance, only to see the bear still coming. This time I was ready. I hopped upwards and delivered three swift kicks to the bear, one to the face, another to the chest, and a third to the knees. Lifting my leg up I spun around quickly for a powerful Chop, only to follow up with a spinning low kick into a back stance. The bear wasn’t ready for my assault. As it recovered from the strikes, it tried to forsee a low strike. It never came. From my reverse position, I pulled my leg upwards and caught the bear under the chin, lifting him up into the air. Time to end this! Left, Right, Stance, Right, Jumping Axe Kick! SPinning Roundhouse Into Side Kick (60 Damage!) The bear went crashing into the wall, and I rubbed my forehead. Phew, That was tougher than I thought…

*Then he stood up. *

In my haste, I tried to raise my defenses quickly, only to suddenly be rolled into by the bear, My body flying through the air once more, the beast responding with a ghastly follow up; Leaping Forward With His Rear End Forward! The resulting attack had me smashing through a brick wall, and down into the courtyard below. Somewhere, an announcer would be heard saying K.O.!!

It was hours before I stood back up. Looking back to the hole in the wall, I’d brush myself off, shaking my woozy head. I’d hardly been a match for the trained bear… How did I expect to defeat the Demon Martial Artist, The Vampire, and The God, waiting at the top of the tower? … No Matter. I’d been left alive, for whatever reason. I suppose that was my only option, to go home a loser and train harder for next time.

Hopeless Fighter, Still Has a Fighting Spirit.

So after that short story, I hope you’re all still with me. Can I start by saying how awesome Tag 2 is? Harada really went all out for this game, and it seriously shows with how much fun the cast is to play with, how awesome the music, stage designs, and other decorations are, and how varied the costume selections are. Oh, and the characters. I love the characters. Oh wait, I talked about that. Fuck it, I’ll talk about it again! I’ve not had this much fun in a tekken game since Tekken 3, and that game was a gold mine for me.

Now I’m not a Tekken Player by Nature, so some of the set ups are kinda new to me. Ukemi, Forward Tech, Roll Attacks, Standing in Specific Positions to Block Follow Up attacks. I dunno a lot of it, but I’m figuring it out slowly. Though, I really need to change my in game mindset. I’m like a rock when I’m playing, Hard to change, ya know? That and I need to learn to block low. I keep forgetting that blocking low actually ducks out of a lot of shit. Ah well, I’ll figure myself out.

~December 24th Edition~
The End of Shinku Gadoken

No, this is not me giving up fighting games. Lately at the tournaments I’ve been going to, namely Youmacon and a few others, I’ve been using different Monikers as my gaming title. Things like J.J.E. (Judge, Jury, Executioner) and 40%FlashKick. It’s interesting how people receive some of the names I use. But all the same, I’ve felt less and less like a Joke character. In my effort to be taken seriously, I’ve spent hours on end honing what skill I have to whatever degree I can, practicing whenever the opportunity had arisen and seeing myself growing stronger with every consecutive game. I feel as though that, one of these days, I’ll probably win something astounding if I just put my time and effort and mind towards it. But to do that I have to treat this a little more seriously as just something to make money in. It’s gotta… Become my life.

So I’m officially retiring the Moniker of ‘Shinku Gadoken’ and replacing it with a soon to be named title instead. I’ll find what fits soon enough.

I want to thank everyone who has supported me so far. I hope I can do you proud some day.

Off to Frosty Faustings I go…

I refuse to call you anything other than Shinku.

~January 30th Edition~
A New Year of Street Fighter X Tekken

“PUMPKIN!!” Marduk went careening across the battlefield, crashing against the destroyed Nancy, and bouncing off of its thick metal plating, heading right back for Paul. As the flat top fighter readied, he’d leap into the air, shredding through Marduk’s body on the return, before landing and stepping forward. One hand came fout in a firm backfist to Marduk’s chest, before he’d yell out “UNIVERSE POWER!!” and crush his elbow into Marduk’s chest! With a powerful Upper Cut, Paul sent the fighter flying into the air once again. It was hard to tell if Marduk was even conscious anymore. Mustering up every inch of strength Paul had, he’d wait for his opponent to fall into position, before…

“PUNCHING YOUR PUMPKINS!!!”

I blinked and Marduk was crushed into the wall, his body slumping into defeat, his shaggy wig falling off of his head as his Hugo outfit proved to give him none of the giant’s resistance to blows. Paul put his right arm up in victory, as he proclaimed ‘Boosh!’ Another victory for the world’s most broke fighter.

I don’t know what it is, I really really don’t, but Paul Effin’ Phoenix is amazing. He’s simply the best thing since bread and air. Okay, I’m exaggerating. Just a little bit though.

Street Fighter X Tekken feels like the bane of the existence of everyone in the fighting game community right now. I don’t understand why. Maybe I’m not good enough at the game to understand why people hate it as much as they do. Maybe I’m just a scrubby casual who’ll never see these things, but at any rate, I have always loved and supported the game. I’ve always tried to get tournaments going even if there were only four people interested in competing. I played online even when the netcode was bad, and I continued to play even when all of the unbeatable characters were going crazy. And I prevailed. Why? Because this game is amazing. With the new changes and updates to gameplay, I really hope other people get into the game too, especially considering almost every professional player for Street Fighter 4 says that they love playing the game. Some more so than SF4 itself. Now if that doesn’t send any messages, I don’t know what will.

Anyway, is this the dawning of the newest mainstay in fighting games? Or will our fighting game community still refuse to give SFxT a chance?

P.S.: I have no fucking clue what Paul actually says. Punching Pumpkins is the funniest thing that came to mind though.

~February 3rd Edition~<br>
<b>Low Tier Heroes</b><br>
<br>
Low-Tier Heroes. That’s basically how I could describe the SF4 tournament I went to yesterday in Decatur Indiana. The Plenty of Corn tournament, ran by the community as a joint Capcom/Smash tournament, was exciting all the way through, as a series of low tier characters wound up squeezing their way into the top four of both Marvel and Street Fighter. El Fuerte, Cody, Vega, and Ryu (All in order of Placement from 1st to 4th) made very powerful stands in the tournament, which only made the final battle one worth watching. El Fuerte ran a train on Cody, which pissed me off, but really it wasn’t all that bad. The fact I even made it to Top 8 to begin with was exciting, and ultimately winning 2nd place helped me to realize I’m a lot better at Street Fighter than I used to be.<br>
<br>
Here’s to the next tournament!

~March 1st Edition~<div><b>The Rise of Hwoarang</b></div><div><b><br></b></div><div>I love the 2013 patch for SFxT, this is no secret. It’s practically the only fighting game I even wanna play these days. Figuring out new things, coming up with new combos, new techniques, exploring every single character’s options, new ways of playing the game, new attack methods… It’s just a wonderfully awesome game. I mean I thought it was awesome before the patch, now… Now I’m blown away. It’s just an amazing game, even more so than before. That being said, I have noticed a plethora of people picking up my favorite characters. Normally this would be a thing to be over joyed about. After all, more people like what I like. People playing Jin is great I what I want! … But, then there’s people playing Hwoarang.</div><div><br></div><div>I don’t know what it is, so why, but when I see people play Hwoarang, I get pissed off. I get really Judgemental of their gameplay, I get mad when they don’t use the right punish. The right combos. I just wanna strangle them until they stop playing him. Why am I so angry? I’ve been finding more and more Hwoaang players online, and every single one of them just angers me to no end. Why can’t they learn to play him accurately?</div><div><br></div><div>Maybe after my next tournament I’ll figure myself out. After all, its just a game, and I shouldn’t get mad at people for playing the same characters as me. After all, this game is like, just getting popular again. I should be happy, ya know?</div>

~March 8th Edition~
Training, Endlessly Training

I’m excited for next weekend, its gonna be my first 2013 patch tournament for SFxT. I might play Street Fighter as well but I’m not holding my breath for that one. What excites me the most is that I finally overcame one of my biggest hurtles as far as opponents go when I defeated Stevo the other day. Something just finally clicked in my head, and its helped me overcome lots of stronger players online as well. I’m still lacking in some know how for getting around certain things, but I’m getting better at making sure I don’t fall for silly things and have answers for most any situation.

My training regiment for SFxT has been to spend at least 10 to 15 minutes in the Training Room before I tackle some online games. Then I’ll do either Ranked Matches with strangers until I get 100 points or I’ll join endless matches with friends so that I can get better. This way I’ve always got a slew of ‘New Opponents’ to choose from, while taking on my strong friends at the same time. Is it the most effective way of getting better? Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll see next weekend when I head up to Detroit for the Digital Battleground tournament.

As an aside, players really like asking me questions about their characters on Facebook. I enjoy looking into them as well. SFxT Guru, anyone?

~March 10th Mini-edition~
My First Combo Video

I’m pretty proud of this, but I wanted to share with everyone else my personal combo video I put together. SONIC X Tekken. I hope you all enjoy it, and that you enjoy any future combo videos I might put out.