High-end artwork mod #2: Electroluminescent Panel

Yes - I was worried about it too, but I can’t hear it now that the stick is assembled. It’s coming from the power supply. Seriously it’s 99% quiet now.

GlowHut told me that if you used a stronger power supply it could be quieter (like the one that uses multiple AA batteries). Don’t worry about it…

FYI for anyone thinking of doing this. It’s great for bold, design oriented work or flat color illustrations but painterly style artwork with lots gradients looks pale and washed out. You can increase the contrast of the work by drawing on the back side of the film with a black sharpee and art pens (to make the blacks, black) and very light acrylic (and watercolor, I assume) washes to increase the density of the color. Any non-artist with a steady hand should be able to do this.

Is there such a thing as “adhesive” backlit film? I would love
to do this on the stick I’m working on but I do not want to use plexi.

Found the old thread from 2007 where the user “Sigmae” had this same idea. To my knowledge he never built the stick, but made a nice CGI rendering of his idea:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=133417

SGGG2 is right on: line art works the best for backlighting. That’s why I did the TRON graphic.

Plexi is a must. Even if there was adhesive backlit film, the printed film itself is very fragile. It’s paper-thin plastic, and once the image is printed, even a light touch causes a scuff or a scratch. It would be destroyed in 10 seconds. Then you have the EL panel underneath which is quite fragile and also needs the plexi layer for protection.

Awesome

Top notch!!! :wow:

You definitely should get an award for this, dude. It’s freakin epic since I love arcade sticks with light effects anyway.

• I liked the movie TRON much even it’s been years since I last saw it as a kid. I think I’ll order the DvD tomorrow because of the goold old memories. lol
    Please keep up the great work. Even the light didn’t have an effect on the seimitsu buttons…you still can do a LED mod for the buttons.

Cheers and congrats on your arcade stick!

Dam you stole my idea. I have my personal stick in the middle of production but couldn’t get the darn thing to light up bright enough. Maybe I need to find some of that film that you used for the art.

Michael

edit At least I’m not using the Tron artwork in mine.

Oh wow. I can’t wait to see what you & others do with EL Panel.

I have stacks of inkjet backlit film available - I purchased a large package of it. PM me if you want some sheets for cheap.

Did you just use a regular lamination machine to re laminate it?

No - as stated before, you must use self-laminating sheets, only around the cut areas. High heat lamination would melt the EL Panel.

woooooooooooooooow sooooooo coooooool

HOLY SHIT! Ronin figured out how to bring dead threads back to life! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! :wink:

On topic, however, i had not seen this, and it is fucking killer.

Thats REALLY NICE!!! Great job man!