Hakan Q and A

Yeah, from maximum range this move is really hard to punish. It’s good when playing footsies to find that range to hit with the end of f.mp. I was going to make a video on this, but oiled up hakan has more control over his moves than any other character. F.mp is probably the best example. When oiled, if you were at a distance where f.mp was unsafe if it was blocked, you can use it with a backdash cancel to make it much safer, and provide a better SPD/Ultra setup too. It’s pretty advanced stuff, but you can also use it to setup up SPD from different ranges. Like a range where f.mp would hit the opponent; use a backdash cancel instead to whiff it in front of them and go for the SPD/Ultra.

Suprised you find it in hakans favor. You’re right though about the punishes. Would probably make a big difference if I used them, lol. Like I said though it’s a personal thing, and that horrible mixup of jab hands, command throw, or buttslam, it can piss me off haha. 2012 will see a big change in this MU i think, with the oil and oil dive buffs.

As for Cody, yeah, Drykan struggles no doubt, but oiled hakan takes care of Cody pretty easy. He can’t frametrap you, or safejump you. If you block or neutral jump an EX Bingo it’s free ultra 1. And you can mix him up really well without worrying too much. I’m not sure how Cody will approach this MU in 2012, but attacking might not be the best idea.

Abel is hard i agree too.
Chun you can see my other vs thread to up your game.
dhalsim dies once you u get close, and if u do OS to catch his teleport :slight_smile:

For Seth, you really need to go for the following to make your dmg/pressure game going and under your control:
-Learn to defend/block when seth comes in, its ok to eat a throw/command grab
-n.jump every once in a while you think command grab is coming (on the basis that your opponent has been doing command grabs)
-know that if Seth srk > FDC.forward > c.lk /or srk /or command grab, you only have 1/3 chance to n.jump punish (command grab wiff).
the other 2/3 times if you jump u eat c.lk combo or srk loop again. you have to take your guesses here, no other way.
-anticipate your U2 on his jumps once obtain gauge.

• [ slide/press > dash forward > j.hk (and OS/anticipate against his teleport) ]
  • [ Dive > jump.over > forward.j.hk ]
  • overhead finishing gimmicks:
    (Seth) [ slide/press > c.hp > jump.back.mk ]
    (seth) [ slide/press > C.C > jump.forward.HK ]
    -learn some two choice surprise un-crouchables
    such as [ slide/press > dash back > lp slide /or HK dive with one squeaky pause

all in all, one knock down with my Hakan, i can say its 30% further dmg coming for him.
And if he wiff one srk its also 20-30% dmg for him.

Dudley and Adon is in the same category for me, where they can abuse quick recovery specials cancel loops, from lp/mp (into LP MGB (Machine Gun Blow) / Jaguar kick ) loop. With this 2 cast, you really have to go into the lab and practice your timing to do
[COWARD CROUCH in between their moves > rocket /or U1 /or lp poke out].
Dudley

• c.mp/c.lp > lp.MGB > [chance for Hakan to do CC] c.lp > lp.MGB > [chance for Hakan to do CC] lp.MGB
  • c.mp/c.lp > lp.MGB >*** [Hakan s.lp > s.mp]*** c.lp > lp.MGB
    (s.lp often trade hits with dudley in this scenario but still good as it take the pressure off)
    -after blocking mp/hp/ex.MGB, punish with either [s.lp pokes] or [f.lk > hp sliding]
    -once you stop his abusive loop, and one knock him down then its in your favor :slight_smile:
    Adon
  • c.lp/c.mp > jaguar kick > c.lp/c.mp > [chance for Hakan to do CC] jaguar kick
    you can also pick U2 and catch them instead of CC.

I’m not a very good player but my worst match-ups are often the characters who love to get in your face and stay there. Anybody who doesn’t give you breathing room can make it extremely hard to get oiled or stay that way. Probably my biggest problem match-ups are Rufus, Bison and Abel.

I have a question or rather clarification. I was never 100% certain about this but what exactly is the Crossup j.rh? I get a little confused when people talk about it. Is it an actual cross-up or is it a safe jump? I think I also read it changes his hit-box so some reversals whiff. Is there a timing to it while in the air? What are the risks if any? I was just hoping somebody could elaborate because reading the Match-up thread it sounds vital in some of his fights.

Hardest matchups:

SETH. Honestly when a Seth knows what hes doing, I just dont know how to fight this match. He has something that fights all of hakans tools, and its very hard to get out of his mixups without oil. Also tanden really fucks me up as hakan, any tips on how to counter tanden?
Honda, cuz like drew said, if honda gets the life lead and turtles on it there is literally FUCK ALL you can do about it.
Dhalsim, for the same reason, but you have a few more options to attempt to dnc parry through his limbs or bait a fireball to kill with ex slide, so its not as BAD.
Bison, Dee Jay, Makoto, Chun-Li.
Blanka, Rog but only when they’re being played well in the matchup, im generally succesful against these characters but its only cuz theyre not 100% on the matchup and offer me up plenty of free punishes in the form of balls/unsafe rush punches.
Sagat, if they’re sensible with their fireballs and on-point in the mid-range with tiger knees and some of his long range pokes, it feels like 10-0. However even some of the best sagats ive ever played still dont seem to learn that hakan to react to every single fireball when oiled w/meter, so I dont tend to have too much trouble in this match generally. When they know the matchup though, its one of the worst.

As far as the twins and Fei, I find if you hang out at the right distance, its not so bad. My player stats say I have a 100% win rate VS Yun with hakan =] F.LP is a divekick killer, so is parry dnc into lp lp f.lk slide or lk lk tick into throw/spd. I’m really not scared of the twins. I also like dnc parry into lp/lk to stuff the first hit of feis rekka or st/cr mp or hp.

Apart from that I feel Hakan pulls level or beats everyone else in the cast. But im probably forgetting some too. Someone said Hawk, I feel hawk is free to hakan. Big characters like hawk and gief are free to oki dive setups, and dives beat hawks uppercuts clean, minus ex. and obviously every blocked condor dive is a free slide, once I get that knockdown positioning off a slide to hawk I dont feel like he has any answers to me.

Oh, and yeah pretty much all of those hard matchups I discussed looks like they’re improving marginally to greatly in some cases, so like everyone else, I am very excited about Big Red in 2012.

Oh and I also like to use LP Slides to stuff Feis rekka, but you have to make good reads on this one otherwise you’ll get punished, cornered and killed. Such is life with Mr Lee.

Lol I like how the Hakan Q and A is becoming the match up assist-me thread. There is no such thing as this myth they call the crossup j.rh. The one you’re talking about is a safe jump, it allows you to put pressure on without any risk. It caaaan cross up, yeah, but it isn’t really for crossing up, the timing is damn near impossible. In the corner you can use it for crossing up with much more ease. For the setup you’re referring to, there’s no risks…in general you whiff st.mp and jump in HK to hit them as they get up, but there’s character specific variations which you can find in the match up thread. A lot of the jump ins will beat reversals, or make them whiff

Didn’t know you were on SRK! Did you get my message on live lastnight? I was tired couldn’t keep my eyes open to play anymore. WIth Seth, have you seen the unblockable on him? It’s godlike. Changes that matchup big time. I like U2 against Seth, for his jumping shenanigans…you can use f.mp against him and buffer U2, like a trap, to catch his divekicks.

Wish I had your confidence against the twins, I pretty much gave up trying to win against them without being mad random. And I hate that.

2012 sir, you’re right, going to see a big difference in MU’s. I’m excited to see how everyone starts to play Hakan in a months time.

Unblockable?! TELL ME MOAR. Dive kicks really beat me up, but i never really countered it with f.mp. Ill try it.

Yeah I got your message man, its all good. Yeah I’ve been on SRK for a while, just lurking really. Genereally anything i would have to contribute is already well known in this forum lol, ill be straight up honest ive learned most of my stuff from these very pages in the last 2 years.

Lol, and we’re still coming out with lots of good stuff. But it’s good you’re posting up, these pages are generally quiet to be fair.

Here’s the vid:

[media=youtube]Hm84o_bVThE[/media]

Yeah my player stats could have had a 100% win rates vs Yun if it wasn’t for my friend. His Yun is the only Yun I had ever lost to and that is because I’ve been using Hakan against him since Super, so he knows the matchup really well. Online Yuns are actually quite free and easy once you get the momentum. Personally, its a 5-5 matchup against him. Reason being that on the start of the match, if that yun knocks you on your dry ass and goes on a very possible, all yomi-mode, its a 9-1 on his favour. But if you knock him down on his salty meat buns at the start of the match and oil up, its 9-1 to your favour. Outside his lunge punch, there is probably nothing that you can’t punish with a good poke or bdnc.

Thanks for the clarification. One last question though. Do I need to press rh at a particular point in his jump arc to make it most effective?

Oh, looks like I was wrong, Hakan does have a proper cross up midscreen. After Oil Dive, while dry, it’s forward dash backdash jumping HK. This is also an unblockable against balrog, guy, fuerte…and someone else, can’t remember who. I don’t know who it doesn’t work on, I haven’t tested that much. But works on Ryu standard type character.

Also, yeah, it’s pretty much at the apex of your jump, you’re hitting the opponent as they get up, it’s really easy, just practise it in training. Record Hakan to do it, and see what happens when you try and reversal with Ryu, if the reversal whiffs then you know it’s right.

I HAVE… A QUESTION!!

i know… i know, someone… who basically invented hakan!

I was just wondering, what is your favorite punish and why? I notice people seem to OP for the HP Oil Rocket!

I am to assume its because of the potential vortex that follows? DEM MIX UPS SON!?

1. how the hell do I do his BnB combo (Jab > Jab > Foward L. Kick XX slide) consistantly?
  2. Oil Dives. Need some help on the uncrouchable version agian
  3. Zangief. My nemesis ATM. I want to absorb all your knowledge so I cna beat this behomoth.

As for matchups. I have it in my mind that the whole cast is my bad matchup ('cept Blanka, yang, Makoto, Sagat and Akuma. I enjoy those fights) and it makes me want to get better, faster and stronger. However in all seriousness, I feel that Zangief is Hakan’s worse matchup or better yet, my worse mathcup while playing Hakan against him.

1. Training mode 10 in a row on either side every day. set him to no block, jhk - jab jab fwd lk slide. Dont get 6 hit combo, start over. I’m a lot better on xbox than I am on ps3 at this combo… stupid madcatz pads.

2. I’m gonna suggest waiting til 2012 because the timing will change

3. Have incredible amounts of patience. Oil dive setups beat lariats and throws. Get and keep oil, DNC standing hp does an incredible job keeping him out. I agree though, he is one of his toughest matchups. use U2 against jump mixups. Oil Dives are really risky but great to use against him.

1. I also start everyday in the lab doing those links for 20 mins before i start playing rank matches. On Xbox it is easier than ps3 to pull off the combo. I used to do like this: 2x jabs, QCF ( at position 6 i quickly press lk follow immediately hp). the chance you get the combo is 100% but because you need to synchronize the QCF to correct timing after 2 jabs, it is sometime too slow and the combo fails or you press the lk too early before you reach position 6. The best way is fw+lk, QCF+hp. The 2 x jabs linked to f.kl is easy but if you do it to slow the slide does not come out or get blocked. I am getting almost there to the correct way.
  2. Gief is not so bad matchup. Depending on how good your opponent is. If he is really good it can be hard. I have trouble when he does the N. head hit in the air when I am cornered and have to guess for spd when he lands. Just dive him if he does not dash on wakeup and mix up with safe slide when you see he is trying to dash.

^
additionally for #1, i’ll watch old replays, and see what situations off of focus that I can practice from. landing combos straight up become easy, but finding the odd situations that opportunities arise from is when they become inconsistent.

after doing it straight up against a lifeless dummy, do it off of like a focused dudley s.hp, a twin divekick, first hit of akuma s.rk, abel’s s.mk. a safe jump setup(ryu or abel c.rk->jumpin)

Someone could explain what kind of invunerability has EX Slide and EX Oil dive?

EX slide has full projectile invincibility and EX oild dive has grab invincibility if Hakan is oiled.

For EX slide, are we counting Cody’s rocks and Ibuki’s kunais as well?

Also, what do you guys prefer to do with meter? Do use it for EX moves or do you save it for super?