"Give me a Sit-rep!" - Chris Redfield UMvC3 Thread

**Matchups **

A Word:
All advice is provided without consideration of assists on either side; this is undesirable yet a necessary limitation. Given Chris’s playstyle, this fortunately doesn’t change much except in instances of super armor characters (backed by beams), teleporters (especially when backed by beams) and perhaps (some) beam characters themselves. For example, take a relatively clear matchup like Hulk: you zone the crap out of him, and he really has no recourse. When you take a relatively clear matchup like Hulk, but add in Magneto’s EM Disruptor assist backing him up, this is more than a slight difference - the entire way you approach the fight has changed. Similarly, if you are backing Chris with a multi-hit projectile assist, suddenly Hulk’s super armored attacks aren’t something you should worry about as much, and zoning him becomes even easier. So, given this, I will primarily discuss your opponent’s options, and how you can handle those options, alongside the general concept of how the fight ought to be approached if the opponent, at least if the opponent is a more linear one.

All comparisons are organized alphabetically. Each potential opponent’s section is divided between his or her normals, specials, and hypers. The perspective taken is your opponent’s options, and then what options you have for responding, either pre-emptively or after the fact. If an “X” is in place of a normal attack’s notation, then the valuation applies to all normals of that type.

For testing against throw/melee/limited range hypers, the results are always done from within the opposing hyper’s range; obviously, any hyper loses when performed outside of its range of attack. If Chris can beat a hyper in any way, I will list the situation. Otherwise, I will list the opposing hyper as absolute victor in the contest, meaning that it will be victorious even when performed during Chris’s cinematic.

For additional information about the testing methods used, please see the below sections:

Testing Between Normals

Spoiler

Spacing:

1. I set the CPU to repeat an action, with a small break between attacks so I can slightly alter positioning.

2. I place Chris outside of the opposing attack’s range.

3. I attack with Chris repeatedly while inching him closer each time, while always providing the opposing character an opportunity to attack between each test.

4. The first attack to connect between the two is listed as the victor; the experiment is repeated several times more to ensure accuracy.

Speed:
All data comes from the Brady Games guide’s frame data, and is then verified by me through placing both characters at point blank range and starting their attacks simultaneously; several tests are run to ensure the results are accurate, and not simply due to my own error.

Moving Normals:
Some normals alter a character’s hitbox. Unless the attack is clearly outranged by Chris’s listed response during all stages of the attack, I list them as equal to each other, and make an (RND) notation. Against attacks that last until a character reaches a certain position, such as Wolverine’s Dive Kick or Captain America’s Charging Star, the attack is performed at a variety of positions and distances, and only the question of whether Chris can outrange these attacks when given proper timing is addressed, since you are unlikely to have to beat them in a battle of startup frames.

Grenade Launcher Testing Explanation

Spoiler
  1. I use the opposing character’s hyper at the maximum distance at which it can affect Chris if it is successful; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Grenade Launcher. If Grenade Launcher wins, I list the hyper as < Grenade Launcher (GRL, CIN, FAR).

2. I use the opposing character’s hyper at point blank range; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Grenade Launcher. If Grenade Launcher wins, I list the hyper as < Grenade Launcher (GRL, CIN, CLS). If Grenade Launcher also won in 1), then I simply list the hyper as < Grenade Launcher (GRL).

3. If Grenade Launcher lost in either 1) or 2), the reverse is attempted. Grenade Launcher’s input is made in the yet-to-be-determined situation(s), and then the opponent’s hyper input is made during its cinematic. If the opposing hyper beats Grenade Launcher, then it is listed as > Grenade Launcher.

4. If the opposing hyper lost in 3), both hypers are attempted simultaneously; the victorious hyper is listed as superior to the opposing one, and an (RND) notation is assigned. The Brady Games frame data is used for verification of the results.

5. If other results were found during the experiment, such as damage trades occurring, they are listed.

Sweep Combo Testing Explanation

Spoiler
  1. I use the opposing character’s hyper at the maximum distance at which it can affect Chris and it can still be successful within maximum distance of Sweep Combo’s initial knife strike; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Sweep Combo. If Sweep Combo wins, I list the hyper as < Sweep Combo (SWC, CIN, FAR).

2. I use the opposing character’s hyper at point blank range; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Sweep Combo. If Sweep Combo wins, I list the hyper as < Sweep Combo (SWC, CIN, CLS). If Sweep Combo also won in 1), then I simply list the hyper as < Sweep Combo (SWC).

3. If Sweep Combo lost in either 1) or 2), the reverse is attempted. Sweep Combo’s input is made in the yet-to-be-determined situation(s), and then the opponent’s hyper input is made during its cinematic. If the opposing hyper beats Sweep Combo, then it is listed as > Sweep Combo.

4. If the opposing hyper lost in 3), both hypers are attempted simultaneously; the victorious hyper is listed as superior to the opposing one, and an (RND) notation is assigned. The Brady Games frame data is used for verification of the results.

5. If other results were found during the experiment, such as damage trades occurring, they are listed.

Satellite Laser Testing Explanation

Spoiler

Due to the sluggishness of Satellite Laser, it generally can’t be used as straight punishment like most other attacking Level 3s can. However, it thankfully has both start-up invincibility and invincibility whenever Chris’s laser begins to come down and until it finishes exploding. As such, it can possibly be used for tricky, if only partial reversals due to it being a uniquely trifurcated Level 3, except without the guarantees that only other trifurcated super in the game, She-Hulk’s Emerald Splash, has. The controlled trifurcated nature of this super, combined with the invincibility phases and OTG aspects of it, makes it possible to damagingly bait at least certain characters who are unaware of this…as long as the slow-moving reticle is already near you.

Still, this nature of the super and the ability to control the starting position of the reticle means that it arguable has more potential than any other Level 3, if only for puroses of testing.

Due to the ability to move the starting the reticle, I will possibly need to specify the initial position of the explosion with L, M, H or D (for default, which means holding nothing). As it stands, though, FAR testing will generally be done with H Satellite Laser, while CLS testing will generally be done with D Satellite Laser.

1. I use the opposing character’s hyper at the maximum distance at which it can affect Dormammu if it is successful; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Satellite Laser. If Satellite Laser wins in that both its invincbility can beat the other super and/until its initial lasers hits, I list the hyper as < Satellite Laser (STL, CIN, FAR).

2. I use the opposing character’s hyper at point blank range; during the opponent’s cinematic screen, I input Satellite Laser. If Satellite Laser wins in that both its invincbility can beat the other super and/until its initial lasers hits, I list the hyper as < Satellite Laser (STL, CIN, CLS). If Satellite Laser also won in 1), then I simply list the hyper as < Satellite Laser (STL).

3. If Satellite Laser traded in either scenario, then I will try to determine whether it “won” by amount of damage taken versus amount of damage done with the initial Satellite Laser, which tends to get all its hits even in trades. If the Chris takes more damage than he deals, then Satellite Laser loses in that scenario. If Chris deals more damage than he takes, then Satellite Laser “wins”, despite it being likely that he ended up spending 1 bars versus an opponent’s one just to trade. Regardless, I will add a (TRD) by either scenario if I don’t count it as entirely separate.

4. If Satellite Laser lost in either 1) or 2), the reverse is attempted. Satellite Laser’s input is made in the yet-to-be-determined situation(s), and then the opponent’s hyper input is made during its cinematic. If the opposing hyper beats Satellite Laser, then it is listed as > Satellite Laser.

5. If the opposing hyper lost in 4), both hypers are attempted simultaneously; the victorious hyper is listed as superior to the opposing one, and an (RND) notation is assigned. The Brady Games frame data is used for verification of the results.

6. If other results were found during the experiment, such as the two hypers negating each other, they are listed.

Why (RND) Is Used

Spoiler

When considering which hyper wins in a direct confrontation, it would be disingenuous to simply say the faster hyper wins. For example, Chaotic Flame takes a total of 11 frames before it is on screen and dealing damage. Shinkuu Hadoken takes 19 frames before it is on screen and dealing damage. While, technically, Chaotic Flame can beat out Shinkuu Hadoken, in practice the human body is simply not able to identify and respond to the flash animation within those 8 frames. In practice, it is more honest to say that whichever hyper begins first will win.

So, in all situations where the outcome is dependent on when the second hyper was started pre-cinematic, I will list the faster hyper as being superior, but I will also add the (RND) label to signify that, in practice, the first player to input his hyper command often wins, and there is a good deal of “randomness” involved. The data used for determining the faster hyper comes from the results of my own attempts to activate both hypers simultaneously, and is then checked against the Brady Guide to ensure I am not in error.

What (FAR) and (CLS) Mean

Spoiler

If two conflicting hypers have two results, with one listed as (FAR), and the other as (CLS), it simply means that, at a certain distance between the two characters, the relationship between them changes. Due to the large number of positional possibilities in the game and a lack of coordinates for communication, this is all that can be said. What (CLS) means is generally pretty obvious, but (FAR) can contextually mean anything from full-screen to just a few steps away from your opponent’s character. While this is not entirely satisfactory, there is simply no way to communicate the distance between two characters objectively.

General Matchup Legend:
(>) - The move in front of this symbol is superior to move(s) behind it in some fashion.
(<) - The move in front of this symbol is inferior to move(s) behind it in some fashion.
(=) - The move in front of this symbol is equal to move(s) behind it in some fashion.

Conditionals:
(WHF) - This relationship only holds true if the move in front of the symbol whiffs.
(BLK) - This relationship only holds true if the move in front of the symbol is blocked.
(FNT) - This relationship only holds true if the move in front of the symbol approaches from the front.
(OHD) - This relationship only holds true if the move in front of the symbol approaches overhead.
(CLS) - This relationship only holds true when you are close to your opponent.
(FAR) - This relationship only holds true when you are far from your opponent.

Matchup Normals Legend:
(RNG) - The expressed relationship is in regards to range.
(SPD) - The expressed relationship is in regards to start-up speed.
(TRD) - The two normals generally trade when both are spaced properly.
(RND) - Shifts in the opposing character’s hitbox render the spacing largely relationship.

Matchup Specials Legend:
(DUR) - The expressed relationship is in regards to projectile durability.
(PRI) - The expressed relationship is in regards to projectile priority.
(NEG) - The superior move is able to negate the inferior one entirely.

Matchup Hypers Legend:
(GRL) – The expressed relationship involves Grenade Launcher hyper. (May be unnecessary.)
(SWC) – The expressed relationship involves Sweep Combo hyper. (May be unnecessary.)
(CIN) - The expressed relationship exists when your input is performed during your opponent’s cinematic.
(RND) - The equals sign here means that the hypers are close enough that the first input generally wins.
(NEG) - The equals sign here means that the hypers cancel each other out completely.
(TRD) - The equals sign here means that the two hypers will trade.
(DUR) - The expressed relationship is in regards to beating Grenade Launcher’s durability or Satellite Laser’s durability/
(HIT) - The expressed relationship is in regards to beating Satellite Laser by hitting Chris.

Matchup Combos Legend:
(WHF) - This attack string will whiff against your opponent.
(HIT) - This attack string will hit against your opponent.
(FEW) - Only a few hits from Chris’s attack will connect with your opponent.
(BLK) - This relationship only holds true when the attack string is blocked.
(CRH) - This relationship only holds true when your opponent is crouching.
(SND) - This relationship only holds true when your opponent is standing.

Notation Examples

[details=Spoiler]
Dante:
•j.S > c.X (RNG)
Dante’s jumping S outranges all of Chris’s crouching normals sans, c.H, which is still sails over.

Tron Bonne:
•Servbot Takeout < Grenade Launcher (GRL, CIN, FAR)
With enough space, Grenade Launcher will beat Servbot Takeout during its cinematic screen. (Needs to be tested out when I have another controller.)

C. Viper:
•Viper Full Throttle < Satellite Laser (RND, CLS)
•Viper Full Throttle = Satellite Laser (RND, NEG, CLS)
•Viper Full Throttle < Satellite Laser (CIN, FAR)
At close ranges, Satellite Laser will tend to beat Viper Full Throttle if it is input first. If the inputs are close enough, and both characters are close, Viper Full Throttle and Satellite Laser will not interact at all due to their invulnerability frames. After a certain distance is achieved between the two characters, Satellite Laser will beat Viper Full Throttle when the input is made during her cinematic. (Needs to be tested out when I have another controller.)[/details]

Matchups, Page 2

Akuma (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Amaterasu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Arthur (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

C. Viper (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Captain America (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Chris Redfield (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Chun-li (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Dante (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Deadpool (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Dormammu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Matchups, Page 3

Dr. Doom (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Dr. Strange (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Felicia (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Firebrand (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Frank West (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Ghost Rider (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Haggar (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Hawkeye (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Matchups, Page 4

Hsien-ko (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Hulk (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Iron Fist (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Iron Man (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Jill Valentine (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

M.O.D.O.K. (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Magneto (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Morrigan (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Matchups, Page 5

Nemesis T-Type (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Nova (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Phoenix (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Phoenix Wright (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Rocket Raccoon (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Ryu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Sentinel (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

She-Hulk (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Matchups, Page 6

Shuma-Gorath (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Spencer (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Spider-man (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Storm (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Strider Hiryu (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Super-Skrull (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Taskmaster (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Thor (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Matchups, Page 7

Trish (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Tron Bonne (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Vergil (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Viewtiful Joe (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Wesker (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Wolverine (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

X-23 (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Zero (Opponent)

Spoiler

Normals:

Specials:

Hypers:

Combos:

General Tips:

Gameplay and Combos

A Word:
Combos are separated by category; the order of categories is as follows: Basic, Position-Based, X-Factor-Based. Combos are not cross-listed; the tier of features by which a combo is categories is Assist-Based, X-Factor-Based, Position-Based, and then Basic. The idea is for each combo to be placed according to the degree of circumstance required for that combo to be utilized; so, while an Assist-Based combo may utilize X-Factor, it would be burdensome for an individual looking through X-Factor combos to navigate through the various assists not utilized by that individual, etc.

Generally, combos are listed within their categories based on damage dealt. However, for the Assist-Based section, combos are first organized alphabetically by the name of the character(s) whose assist is used. If two assists are used, the combo is placed by the name of the assist character whose name occurs first alphabetically.

Notation: I will always list, when relevant, any assist required, level of X-Factor used, number of bars of meter consumed, and whether a reset is involved, in parenthesis, after the combo’s damage is stated, in that order.

Please feel welcome to submit content; however, combos will not be listed without an accompanying video, and that video must:

1. Be of decent quality off of a capture card; no webcams.
  2. Display the damage done.
  3. Contain only the contents of that combo.

Tutorials:

UMvC3 Gameplay:

Vanilla MvC3 Gameplay:

Combo Videos:

Gameplay and Combos, Page 2

Basic Combos:

Position-Based Combos:

**X-Factor-Based Combos: **

(I’ll make this more detailed later.)

Chris Redfield’s Changes From the Vanilla:

• Dash has been fixed so now he can act immediately after a dash and also wavedash (more easily).
  • Increased float of cr.H.
  • Decreased startup of j.S and increased active frames.
  • Normal gun moves, Low Shot, cr.H, Air Low Shot can be empty canceled into specials.
  • Minimum damage scaling on special attacks has been increased.
  • Increased active frames and distance of Shot Gun.
  • Decreased damage of Shot Gun.
  • Decreased untechable time of first hit of Combination Punch H.
  • Decreased gap of Prone Shot.
  • Machinegun portion of Sweep Combo can OTG.
  • Incendiary Grenades’ flames float people up much higher and more consistently.
  • Combination Punch L appears to do slightly less stun as well as Grenade Launcher will no longer super cancel into it.

Changes from UMvC3 1.00 to UMvC3 1.01 (Released as of 12/19/2011):

• Flamethrower can now empty cancel into any special except for Prone Position. On contact with the opponent, it can cancel into :s: whether on hit or on block.

Special Thanks (Yet again “Chris” is just in place of “Dormammu”. I’ll make this more personal later.)

A Word:
In the original Chris Thread, I was constantly trying to find ways to reword entire portions of the guide to save space - I just did not have enough of it. With the ability to start with a clean slate, I wanted to make a dedicated post on this thread thanking everyone who helps contribute to this guide. For fear of leaving someone out, I won’t make this retroactively apply to the MvC3 thread. If you do feel left out, tell me in a PM and I will gladly add you.

In two months time, there is a decent chance I will not be able to put nearly as much time into this thread as I can before that. Regardless, I rely upon you, Chris fans, to fill this one with content! May we expose our weaknesses as well as those of our opponents so that we may become ever stronger players.

The List:

• Karsticles: For not only letting every other character section borrow his extremely detailed format, but encouraging it.
  • Diek Stiekem: For creating the Chris Redfield general thread for vanilla.
  • GcYoshi13: For creating the thread to chronicle Chris’s changes from vanilla to UMvC3 as the updates came; for catching the change to Chris’s 1.01 Flamethrower.
  • peril1337: For helping me proofread the typos out of the first, posted draft of the Basics and Command Normals sections.

(I’ll be adding a bunch more people here in a bit. In the meanwhile, YOU MAY POST NOW. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.)

Wow…

(An insightful first post by someone who isn’t me. If this persists, then the future looks so bright I must don shades.)

Okay, so links added to the first post, fixed a couple of errors I saw already–damn it–with one of them relating to me putting the wrong button for Magnum Combo and added a couple of special thanks off the top of my head.

In effort not to get burned out already, I probably won’t post anything else in here today even if today doesn’t go as horribly as I’m anticipating. I’ll try to update quite a bit on Tuesday, though, even if it’s rather likely I won’t have the game by then.

This is pretty crazy, but I like it. Thanks for doing this. If I find something new and interesting I’ll be sure to share.

Cool thread. It bites for me because I won’t be able to pick up UMVC3 until the holidays because I’ll probably just cut the rest of my busy schedule to just play UMVC3. LOL

I made a thread a couple of days ago explaining a few things that Chris could do in Vanilla MVC3, could anyone of you guys go and read it and check to see if they can work in UMVC3.

New game. New hype. I’m so damn excited

feels like assist HSD being normalized really hurt chris in the ToD department

shotgun range definitely feels longer

no more hard knockdown on magnum - only wallbounce. they pop out of 2nd magnum now. i think we can say that grenade launcher is gonna be really hard to use at the end of combos now.

hour 1 combos

midscreen or you are in corner - 1. throw>2h>H boulder punch>dash jump gunfire M otg>5h6h5s>j.MMHS>lowest air magnum>flamethrower>sweep combo. omit flamethrower if you’re only midscreen. about 500k dmg.

1. 2mh>6h>L BP>follow up 1>follow up 2>immediate grenade launcher>dash 6h5s>j.MMHS>lowest air magnum>flamethrower>sweep combo. about 810k dmg?

assist extensions seem impossible now , with my chars anyway

Linking into Grenade launcher in combo 2 listed in Felinoter’s post doesn’t seem to be as tight as vanilla. Incendiary grenades seem to juggle slightly higher than before if the opponent is off the ground, so far it seems easier to combo on reaction, especially with the wavedash. Fullscreen magnum or f.:m: into magnum punishes seem more likely to followup now due to the dash. c.:m: s.:h: f.:h: :qcb::l:~:l:~:m:~:h: into followup deep in the corner requires you to briefly walk backwards before continuing the combo, otherwise the opponent will end up on the other side of you while they drop.

Yea, so comboing with missiles is even harder now, and I can’t get anything going with triple magnum to landmine to loading grenade. Here’s what I came up with in my first hour with the team…

[media=youtube]H2EtqaqY1DY[/media]

j.:s: c.:l::m: s.:h:, :f:+:h::s: sj. :m::m::h::s: OTG :qcf:+:m: :s:+:a2: sj.:m::h::s: land :qcf:+:atk::atk: :b:+:h: xx :dp:+:atk::atk:

The second relaunch to MHS has to be done after a very tiny delay, but with zero delay between hits, then loading grenade must be done as soon as you hit the ground. i’ll probably drop this combo to learn some fancier combos into sweep.

I’ve been messing around in the lab and I am very happy. His old combos still work (for the most part) and if they don’t, there are ways around it with his new tools. He still TOD’s, which is his biggest asset, and air shotgun seems much more reliable (I may actually use it in a match now). And Iron Fist’s fists of fury combos cleanly into a full grenade super in the corner.

Really though, the best discovery I’ve made so far as that when he goes up against Rocket Raccoon he says “There’s a, um… heavily armed woodland creature” It’s pretty wonderful.

i’ll probably play chris 1st again and i won’t be doing his long combos anymore since meter looks harder to come by for a first character. his ability to cancel his pistols really improves his damage potential after combos without the use of meter. i can see otg pistol + assist late in a combo canceled into, forced blocked shotgun in the air or grenades, and mixup or reset while assist hits. and he can at the very least end all of his options with flamethrower chip.

in the air, increased shotgun range and cancelable pistols are both tools that’ll greatly improve chris’s ability to pin an opponent into chip damage. chris chip pinning looks to be a very viable option outside of airthrow resets or high, low, throw mixups with a lockdown assist. i’m gonna explore this some more but i really think this was exactly what capcom intended for the character since vanilla.