Faking It: How to Appear Vulnerable as Cammy

@Lowtide Text wall incoming:

Round 1
0:10 You didn’t block or hit a button, not sure why so please turn on inputs next time you record
0:12 You didn’t gauge your attack range so the cr mk whiffs. Since cr mk hit box is huge he gets counter hit. Cr mk is best used for when you see the opponent moving forward, make sure to buffer in sa after the cr mk just in case they walk into it.
0:13 after a blocked rush punch the proper punish is st lp xx SA or CS (must be in st lp range to work). SA gives you the momentum for a meaty. CS gives you damage.
0:14 you did st mk at point blank range. At point blank you either want to be hitting jab to counter hit into a combo like cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx SA (Moderate risk), CS to get them off you (high risk), Block (low risk), late tech (no risk)
0:15 Normally I would say to block high against Rog but this guy was a greedy dick and kept going low which is unsafe on block. Next time just block low once or twice and punish with st mp st hp xx SA/CS (its - 7 on block)
0:16 Sometimes you need to just block for a second and what for him to finish then do your thing (this is where match up knowledge comes into play so you know when he is negative)
0:24 b+mp or st hk neutral jumps. CS can be done too but if you whiff GG. Go into casual and focus primarily on b+mp to anti air. Focus 100% on the jumps. Still play but your goal is to focus on that until it becomes natural. You can’t play Cammy well with out having a solid Anti Air game

Round 2
0:43 again you need to block or throw out jab, st lk something to stop the dash punch.
0:45 You mistimed your punish. It’s -7 so the CS should have worked. If you are a little slow cr mp cr mp xx SA might be easier for you as a punish
0:50 You woke up with jab jab as a panic. You have to stay calm and think. jab jab nets you nothing, but if you went with jab then saw the jump you could b+mp him out of the air. Have a plan. What are you going to do on wake up and follow it up with. If you are going to jab look for the CH string and be ready to follow it up, if you notice he changes to a neutral jump be ready to shift to b+mp
0:52 You are using moves that are completely out of range. This will come with practice. You have to learn what to use at what distance otherwise it will whiff and you will get punished.
0:57 You missed your v-trigger here and didn’t do optimal damage. Here is what I’d recommend in this same situation. Jumping hp, st mp, st hp, v-trigger, st hp xx SA xx CS, as soon as you land from CS do hp hooligan and hit kick right as you see balrog rising for a meaty. If it hits follow up with st mp, st hp xx CS GG
1:00 You’re still doing the st mk too close. Better option here would be st lk grab, or st lk, cr lp, st lp xx CS if hit, or st or cr mp meaty (keep the pressure on. Balrog doesn’t have a reversal so you can pressure him. Just have to watch out for the 3 frame jab on wake up)
1:02 this shouldn’t have worked but it did. I see you tend to favor kicks over punches. Cammys punches are far stronger than her kicks especially up close. The punches are faster, have better hit boxes, and pushed back hurt boxes. Kicks are the opposite. They are slower, have bigger hit boxes and pushed out hurt boxes. In situations where you want to use kicks start thinking about using st or cr mp instead. Up close start with jab then go to mp, not mk. Use kicks for when they are farther out and you see them coming forward to walk into them.
1:24 You get lucky as he walks back instead of jabs like he has done the last 15 times, so it hits and you get the CA for the finish

The reason why you are getting blown up is because you don’t know what to do and are hesitating and then panicking as a result. Once you have a game plan you’ve practiced in training, when the situation where Balrog is right on top of you and you’re thinking, “oh shit what do I do?” comes up you’ll know what to do rather than mash jab or stand there while he jumps right in front of your face.

Overall I think you need to go into training and practice ranges for each move. You then to practice anti airs in training for a bit and then in matches (don’t worry if you lose just try to get anti airs down). Next you need to develop a game plan. What are you going to do on wake up? What are you going to do after you knock them down? Have about 3 different options to choose from and drill them until they are second nature to you. Here are a few things to think about.

Wake up options:

cr lp, st mp, cr mk xx SA (if they block the cr lp, try for a grab after)
lk CS (if you are feeling lots of pressure then use this to try and get them off of you)
V-reversal (receiving a lot of pressure but you are unsure if the CS will hit, so use this as a safer option to buy some time)
Neutral jump/jump back (use this if you think they are going for a grab)
Block/delay tech (use this if you want to feel them out more to see what they do on your wake up, slightly delay your tech grab just in case they try and grab you but be aware of shimmys)

Knockdown options:

After a HK SA, dash up cr mp, if hit do st hp xx HK SA repeat, if blocked go for grab or shimmy
After a HK CS, dash up st hp, if they hit a button you will hit them, if not you will whiff but it’s safe
After a knockdown where they get up slow, walk up hit st lk, cr lk, st lp. If any hit end with xx SA or CS
These are just a few. Look on for more setups online.

Anti Air options:
They jump from afar: Use st hk, get a crush counter, follow up with hk CS
They jump close: Use b+mp, if hit try to dash under to get a cross up, follow with st mp, st hp xx SA
The cross you up: Do lk CS auto correct (ie enter the input on the side they are facing and hit the kick right as they cross you up. It will auto correct and hit them on the other side.

Neutral/Footsie Options:
Walk in and walk out of your st mk range and poke.
Walk in and walk out of your st hp range and poke.
watch for them to walk forward and throw out cr mk at it’s max range to try and catch them.

These are a just a few options for you to practice. If you feel the dummy is too repetitive. Make a few recordings and play them all. Like Ken, do cr mk, st hk, fireball, then jump. Do one that has like 3-4 seconds of walking aback and forward, etc. Then turn them all on and put them on random.

@Lowtide check your messages. I think cammy destroys balrog

@SunTzu81 thanks a lot for your advice, I realize I was relying too much on kicks and responding with inapropriate attacks. I’ll return to the lab to train all those things you mentioned and next time I’ll have a better idea of what to do at a ranked match.

Hey, glad you managed to record it! :slight_smile:

1. You took a lot of hits due to not crouch blocking. Whenever you want to block, crouch as well and watch out for the overheads.
  2. Never do raw spiral arrows or raw cancels, do confirm combos. Whenever near your opponent press st.mp. If he gets hit, cr.mp and spiral arrow. If he blocks, still press cr.mp and watch for the counter hit. If he gets counter-hit, cr.mk and spiral arrow. There are other frame traps and combo variations, check Cipher’s post in the tech thread for them.
  3. Cammy has no place in the corner, get the hell out of there. V-reversal out of it. I know it will sound like you will lose your comeback tool (vtrigger) but there’s no use for it if you’re dead.
  4. You knock him down, you walk forward. Always. Pressure Balrog on wake up every time he doesn’t have CA. Always go for a meaty, tick throw or raw throw.
  5. Don’t walk back. Feel like you should block? Crouch-blocking will do the trick and won’t get you cornered.