F.A.N.G. Q&A Thread

All of the evasive v reversals are throw vulnerable. She probably would have accomplished the same thing with a regular grab.

Ross does bring up a very valid point. White damage is a very big thing in this game to consider.

Regular grab would not have worked. I was already done moving across. There was a fair distance between us. FANG just sits there and dances for a bit and screams PUNISH ME.

BTW all v-reversals can be grabbed, not just evasive ones.

FANG’s v-reversal takes 35 frames until it’s over and does not put the enemy in any hit/block stun. So basically if you use it against any move that has less than 35 frames of recovery, you will be negative. The amount you are negative by will depend on the recovery of the move you are reversaling. One move that comes to mind is a necalli stomp. Seems like a great move to reversal since it’s beefy and safe. Well it only has 20 frames of recovery, meaning if you v-reversal it, necalli could probably just walk and sweep to punish.

I plan on doing a bunch of testing with different characters and moves tonight, but I’m pretty sure he will often find himself in a punishable state after using it. He really doesn’t go THAT far when he uses it.

For comparison:

Vega’s v-reversal he escapes backward which creates more distance than FANGS. Vega’s is also only 31 frames instead of 35. So aside from a possible corner escape, Vega’s is better.

And here we have fucking Nash who gets the benefits of side switch as well as only 27 frame duration.

So if anyone can think of a shittier v-reversal I’m all ears lol. Same for trigger, but I think we all agree on that one.

Vega’s is 31 but he backs himself into the corner, where he is just as shitty as getting out of as Fang. Its pretty bad, the ability to escape the corner alone is more valuable than you guys are saying. No one is saying its the best but also just complaining and not figuring out how and when to use it isn’t helpful either.

Does anyone know his frame advantage after a blocked normal cancelled into slide? Hopefully it’s not as bad as Blanka’s normals cancelled into hop.

I agree @FullMetalRoss I don’t want to just be complaining haha and I do think corner switching is a pretty big deal. From a quick test at home I don’t think necalli can just sweep you if you v-reversal a mk.stomp. So there is definitely something at play besides raw frame data, since with a 35 frame v-reversal and stomps having 20 frames of recovery, it would seem at first that he’s -15 but that’s not true.

v-reversal does seem to eat their inputs a.k.a. put them in blockstun for a few frames. I found this by just recording necalli doing a sweep right after the mk.stomp. It doesn’t come out if I v-reversal though.

So I do still think it’s a bit weak, but it’s not as bad as I initially thought. It will take lots of testing to find what it’s safe against. It’s kind of awkward to test in training mode.

@“J is Jusice” if by slide you mean his command dash, super negative is all I know lol.

I did the math and its bad, but I forget how bad

Frame data for Dashes
Nikankyaku LK - 29(total duration)
Nikankyaku MK - 30(total duration)
Nikankyaku HK - 31(total duration)
Nikankyaku EX - 33(total duration)

Questions for y’all.

1. WTF is up with his Counter hits? cr.MK, cr.MP works on counter hit, but technically the first hit would counter and the second hit would not be a counter hit… which would mean cr.MK, cr.MP would work regularly but I’m sure we all tried it and it doesn’t.

2. Frame data’s atrocious and we don’t have a reversal outside of Super. What should we do when we’re on our asses?

Honestly I don’t think he has the worst V-Trigger in the game, but that’s mostly because I haven’t messed with most. The most boring and uninspired? Sure. However, the fact that it refreshes poison so long as you’re near them makes it useful.

I’d say his V-Skill isn’t worth talking about before his V-Trigger.

Legit got no idea why I’m still playing this character, tbh. Ah, yes - annoying people.

His multi hitting moves work differently from say rashids f.mp. CH status is given to the whole move not just one hit.

His frames on normals are pretty solid(barring no 3 frame jab. Most characters on their specials are not exactly fantastic on block. You block and make the right call

yeah forget this move after blocked normal maybe once in a blue moon hhh

Most characters have some way to convert into a combo off a “shimmy” except FANG… What’s up with that?

Sotoja to be changed to QCF motion next patch?

Instead of doing the shimmy forward you’re starting the charge on the walk back. Confirm the throw/jab whiff into s.mp(1) or c.mp into whatever.

you can start a combo at any point AND end it with a charged special; given that you have not charged before pressing a button.

You do realize that the shimmy was basically invented on a charge character with a similar lunging move right?

Do you really think Gootecks invented the walk in and out throw bait?

Spotted the 14’er :lol:

If you’re referring to Urien’s shimmy (which by the way Gootecks did NOT invent …), it’s vastly different than any of FANG’s possible application for a shimmy setup due to the difference in game mechanics comparing Third Strike to SF5 (ie: no charge partitioning, parry system, difference from Urien’s 2-hit elbow to any of FANG’s normal).

If you’re able to use st. MP or cr. MP as a shimmy setup with FANG successfully, I don’t think your opponent is that skilled and is probably just mashing throw on wakeup anyhow. Look at the huge gap between yourself and the opponent you end up leaving from this setup… A real shimmy setup has to allow for a threat of a 50/50 between a microstep forward throw or normal into combo.

Combination of quickrise, FANG’s slow walkspeed and combination of charge requirement doesn’t allow for a great shimmy setup that really sells the opponent on a possible throw scenario.

Yeah, depending on the opponent and the situation I’d rather just LP poison chuck than go for a dubious shimmy setup.

I’d also say that the tiny throw ranges we have in this game also work against us.

Ok, invented no, but he certainly popularized it. It’s been called the gootecks shimmy for a reason. It works with balrog in 4 similarly to fang in 5.

I said it another thread, but I really wish it wasn’t possible to throw him out of coward crouch.

Is it just me or is FANG’s air to air sucks? I can’t seem to beat anyone in an air to air situation.

maybe you’re not hitting the button early enough, that’s what my issue was in the beginning

j.hp usually beats everything, j.mk seems to have a good lingering hitbox too