Enemies of the State: Matchups thread

loooooooool

Is Hyper Stars and Stripes Invincible enough to beat c.m from Sent?

Probably, I believe it beats out most super armor moves in the game, due to its power-level and invincibility.

More importantly, it’s invulnerable for the entire duration of a 3 hit burst. Assuming you’re close enough for the first burst to connect fully, you will beat it every time. If you end up moving into it during one of the lulls in activity, you’ll lose.

What can I do to stop Wolverine from crossing up an incoming character? It seems that no matter what I do, I get hit by Berserker Slash

nothing you can do but learn to block…or double jump. Double jump kinda messes up a lot of incoming character mixups

Any tips vs Taskmaster players spamming their webswing?

Throw it. Startintg tomorrow that mechanic is fixed.

So I think without a solid, comboable AA cross counter, the Spencer/Sentinel matchup is very difficult for Captain. I posted my thoughts about it in the “How far has cap gotten you” thread, after a long set with Knives. Thoughts, anyone?

spencer with any assist is a pain in the ass the only thing i have learned to do is dash forward charging stars to beat out whatever assist they have (mostly a projectile) and also move me out the way of an AIR S which is the typical follow up to air grapples

when you say spencer/sentinel do you mean that both of those characters are problem characters or do you mean that spencer with sentinel is a problem?

Surely he’s talking about Spencer with Sent drones. Sent by himself doesn’t seem hard in the least bit to me as long as you’re patient and make smart moves/spacing.

Kei

just spencer in front of sentinel.

Anybody have tips for the Nemesis matchup? Never really sure what to do, zoning is difficult for me because of rockets and huge normals and getting in is difficult for similar reasons, especially with a good assist. So far all I’ve been able to do is punish rockets with charging star xx HCS and pray they throw out an unsafe move; is there anything else I could be doing?

I have been playing quite a bit of online ranked lately and I feel quite comfortable with Cap in most matchups, except for Vergil and Wesker. These characters are usually backed up by Doom beam, drones, or Vajra. I use Cap-SS, Nova-overhead, Taskmaster-horizontal. Against Wesker I have found a little success calling Nova double jumping and using D.H and throwing out a random charging star here and there, but it still feels like I could be doing something better. Against Vergil I’m lost. His normals seem to control cap very well especially when backed up by his round harvest thing. At least against Vergil if you touch him he’s toast but I’m having quite a bit of trouble finding that touch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated because these two characters are very abundant online.

Anyone notice how Zero has tiny feet? He’s like the only character in the game where my B&B is inconsistent (S j. h xx light shield slash whiffs a lot of the time). It’s not like 100%, but I notice it in matches happening a ton.

Also some questions-

1. How do you guys combo after stray air shield slash hits? I usually j.h xx shield slash to bring them back down to ground level and then heavy charging star into HCS but I can probably just launch them into a normal combo first right?

2. What’s the deal with HCS whiffing after heavy cs? Most of the time it hits, but sometimes it doesn’t and I get punished hard. Is it just the fact that it’s hitting near the top of the CS and pushing them way back?

You can eliminate the problem of worrying about character size in the beginning of a combo by instead of doing the S, j.H xx L.shield slash…instead do S, j.M, j.uH xx L.shield slash. That will make sure that unless you have an execution error on the SS, you will always hit them. After that you just have to make sure you pay attention to their body type so the rest of your combo doesn’t drop.

That is very much dependant on your spacing at the stray hit. I’m a plink dasher so I usually don’t have much if any trouble getting over there for the next hit. You should always be mindful of your spacing when you throw that shield, because while it might hit them/lock down…it doesn’t matter too much if you’re not in a position to be able to confirm the hit or look for a cartwheel mixup.
I usually for for a j.M, j.H xx shield slash after a stray air SS hit, if it’s a grounded hit I usually look for a crossup opportunity using dash H/c.H + unibeam assist xx cartwheel (or stay same side to keep it fresh).

You have to pay careful attention to when and how you hit the opponent with the H.charging star. You should be looking to see their body at roughly your head height when the HCS hits. You are looking for them to fall into that range as the HCS actually HITS them, don’t wait for them to get there first if you’re looking to dhc. If you get all 3 hits of CS it’s easier of course, but either way just pay attention to catch them at the top of the HCS range (not too far above so you don’t get just 7 hits).
Once you realize the range it’s very easy to time, and enjoy that lovely damage.

Kei

Thanks for the info. One question on this part. Should I be able to convert every h. cs into HCS? It seems like a lot of times when it’s whiffing, the opponent gets sent too far away from the h. cs so no matter how I time it, HCS would whiff.

I don’t really run into a problem of not being able to get the HCS after the H.cs. However I suppose if you threw out the regular cs from the extreme most distance you might be able to miss, but then you’re already REALLY dangerous because you might miss the cs completely…which is death of course.

So yea, if I hit a CS then I’m always able to follow with HCS. It’s also not a bad idea (team dependant) to call your beam assist a split second before the CS (if you can react/predict) that way you’re safer, and it’s easier to time.

Also sometimes it might serve you better to not HCS anyway since you get the knockdown opportunity, but that depends on your situation (happy bday should ALWAYS end in HCS) and your ability to mixup

Kei

Sorry I guess I should give you a scenario.
Enemy is coming in. I hit them with shield slash. On their return back, I hit them with j. h xx l. shield slash and when I land I do heavy charging star into HCS. About 20% of the time, the HCS whiffs because they get knocked back so far (I guess due to the variable distance they’re at when I hit them with the heavy charging star). It’s not really during a B&B that I have trouble hitting them with my combos.