Elena Match Up Thread "Beats In my Head"

ok its not one of those with specific commands alright i’ll be sure to test it out

As I pointed out in the general thread, st.MP can stuff Honda’s headbutt, Bison’s Psycho Crusher, Vega’s Rolling Crystal Flash and I’d imagine a lot of other forward moving attacks. Even works on their EX versions. I doubt this would be much help at high levels considering st.MP has startup and most these attacks wouldn’t be used from a distance where you could stuff them on reaction, but it should help out with randoms online or in pools.

ok well i just finished B ranking Elena so im done with Rank for a while and will got back to the lab i will compile all the notes i got so far from others and post them up soon and i will lab more charc as i go on so its all good thanks for the advice

Not a problem, man, just wanted to throw it out there in case it helped anyone.

Yeah, Poison is one of the few matchups I feel is in Elena’s favor. I feel Hugo is also in Elena’s favor, or I just haven’t fought a good enough Hugo to make me change my mind.

The one thing that does get me in the Poison matchup is that her Focus Attack animation looks just like her fireball animation. I’ve slide right into many FAs just because I thought they were throwing a fireball.

Elena Vs Poison is 5-5 imo because I ended up grinding it out with a Poison player and her block string into the first rekka makes her pretty safe i havent found a good punish for it yet, but then again i haven’t gone to the lab with her yet. Poison FA is also pretty damming for Elena but Elena grab is so much better in this MU and the pokes just kinda do Poison in anyway.

Elena Vs Hugo is 6-4 imo this MU is for free, Elena can out space everything Hugo can do but i did face one good Hugo who just whooped me apparently max distance slide is not safe at all to his Command grab idk how he made the range increase, i will lab it later but this is so easy to win in general. Max distance overhead also just does amazing against Hugo.

Elena Vs Decapre is 5-5 imo. This MU is not that hard its actually pretty easy for me, Decapre is always down back for charge so over heads are awesome, baiting DP is so easy and can be sweep punished or full combo punished. You can grab her out of the teleport move and its not that hard to know where its going. Blocking her strings are easy cause there always lows. She loses midscreen so easily to Elena and her cr.lp and cr.mp. Decapre U1 can also just be easily pass through with an EX RH lol

vs Poision

It’s hard to imagine this doesn’t work with damn near every other character of the roster, but you can neutral jump to bait a wake up dp. If the bait is taken, you will go unharmed and land in time to punish severely.

cr.mp hits high enough to hit low dive kicks, and st. mp hits twice and absolutely wrecks dive kicks…anyone had any consistancy with cr. hp?

With Akuma’s jump back fireball nerf, sliding them on reaction is so free.

My super early, probably will change multiple times, match up tiers:

Nightmare matchups(3-7 or worse)

Yun
Chin Li
Dhalsim
Sagat
Juri
Seth

Bad matchups(4-6)

Ryu
Ken

I think Juri 4-6 not a lot of her moves are safe and Ryu might be 5-5, Chun-Li is def. 3-7 she is so hard to fight as Elena its bad like really bad she has all the normals we wish we had

haha thats one my strats if you’re a step back from the corner if u corner poison u can Nj. mk right away and her DP will whiff and punish into a corner Ultra i will be sure to add this while giving you credit when i Add in Poison thanks

Cr.HP just doesnt work against the twins at all like justin pointed out i think st.lp seems to have moderate success as an AA to dive kick i will be sure to add the st.mp AA too

Alright thanks will add soon :slight_smile:

Note for the Chun Li Matchup that makes a nigthmare matchup even harder, Elena cannot slide under chun’s projectiles, they hit too low.

Also for the Yun matchup his overhead will always hit her meaty, so a Yun player that knows this will be able to body Elena hard as any overhead from him that hits her crouching can be comboed and potentially turn into a red foucus combo for 300+ dmg. For this reason alone(and of course combined with the other things that make the MU bad) the MU has to be a definite 3 - 7.

Yeah I’m at a tourney now, Chun Li’s projectiles can eat the biggest dick. Everything else about her is really nasty too. Only wins I got from her were purely by getting into my opponents head.

You have to make use of a lot of Elena’s bad moves just to throw them off - the amount of stuff that works is such a small list that you’ll become increasingly predictable.

I think I’ll make a rare bit of useful information.

So Elena - Poison I feel is an even matchup. And it pretty much boils down to a time stall.

Elena’s Advantages:
Can slide under projectiles.
Wonky hitbox makes certain whip moves whiff at odd ranges.
st.Hk can beat her lows.

Poison’s Advantages:
Better normals in general.
A meterless reversal.
Far better frame traps.
Meaty fireball pressure.

The problem I see right now is that most Poison players either zone or try to play frame traps and never incorporate both.
She can sit full screen and throw HP fireballs until you make a mistake, but all that does is build meter and if she gets too predictable you get knock down.

But Poison has amazing corner carry and she can just as easily whiff her whip to build meter.

In terms of normals Poison’s far.Hp is about just as good as Elena’s far.HK it trades or beats it out and vice versa and the same is true for Elena’s b+HK (it has even better reach so she can tag you during the recovery if you whiff them), and Poison’s far.mk also trades with Elena’s cr.mp, and Poison’s cr.mp beats Elena’s cr.mp when spaced properly, and Elena’s cr.lp beats Poison’s cr.lk and cr.lp, and Poison’s st.mk beats Elena’s st.lk 90%-100% of the time. Also keep in mind Poison’s corner pressure can be almost nightmarish if you play a good Poison.

Less confusing way of putting it. Basically if you’re even when it comes to pokes she has slightly better mid range and far normals you have better close range normals.

So easiest way to win this battle is to assess your opponent if they throw fireballs then it’s basically a 7-3/6-4 in your favor. If they like to frame trap midscreen same is true because they are in a range where her pokes aren’t as great. But if you’re against a player who has a great neutral game it’s a 5-5. And the matchup can definitely not be in your favor if you use your pokes at bad ranges too.

Yea no kidding Yun and Chun are such a bad MU that its not even funny.

Yea Chun Li, pretty bad as a MU its next on the list for me to Lab so i’ll be sure to figure something out hopefully what we really need is some backdash OS Slide.

Thank you I’ll be sure to add this when making the poison MU

You can punish Rolento’s ex.Mekong Roll attack on block with Elena’s U1

Ex DP beats rolento roll clean.

EX DP beats a lot of things - if you can’t beat it any other way, that’s usually the way to go.

Like, it’s the only way I could find to deal with Bison’s Scissor Kicks, and the timing is such that it’s pretty much an offline only sort of thing.

EX DP still didn’t beat Akuma’s EX DP, though.

He’s -1 on block at best now. So.

Hmm. I kept trying to punish it after block but couldn’t do anything to really stop him from doing it more and more. Guess I’ll have to go back to training mode tomorrow.

Exactly what were you trying to punish on block i created a Pseudo Punish which is really just a 50/50 high low Mix up where you cr.Mp then EX MS if they recover in time this will keep them guessing and might land you a combo and then they will think twice before blocking low or high after a cr.mp.