Dungeons & Dragons

I just don’t like PBP at all, not the same experience for me plus I just got a new job so I have no idea what my schedule is gonna be like.

This is the story of our lives.

Also, I gotta say that Roll20 is pretty good.

To tell the truth, I’ve only dabbled in D&D. I first heard about D&D back in 1991/1992 when people were talking about it in middle school. I 1st started playing during lunch around 1996 while a group of other people on a different table were playing Magic. Incidentally that’s when I got into Magic and our D&D group couldn’t get very far in the campaign because or DM was stoned most of the time. Surprisingly, the Magic group looked more “nerdy” and “geeky” than most of the people in our D&D group. The next time I was in a campaign was in 2002 during 3rd Edition. A few of the people in that group were attending the Q Course.

So, in a nutshell I really don’t know what I’m doing in D&D, but it still fascinates me. I believe computer games like the King’s Quest series and the Zelda series are based off of D&D. Also, when I was younger and to some degree now, I still am trying to comprehend that there are no endings or an ending in D&D. It just keeps on going and going. No “main bosses” either, lol.

roll20 is not play by post. It’s all real time.

I heard the rangers are pretty nifty, what is your opinion on them besides the obvious lol.

I got to play my first real game with 5th last night.

Overall, I have positive things to say about it. It really feels like a balanced mix of 2nd and 3rd edition to me. (With a smattering of things that were popular/worked from 4th)

I was completely turned off from tabletop RPGs for awhile after how 4th edition turned out. However, after following the beta and all the goodwill WOTC is trying to develop, I’m willing to give them another shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTNjmKZ9t3E

I like how each of the classes have branch points like what I pmed to you @manx lol

What? I haven’t even seen that shit yet.

I’ma have to grab a PDF and read it finally. So far, I’ve only skimmed over it from the basics PDF they pre-released.

I want to be a sexy ninja assassin bitch who throws knives…

What?

@angelpalm‌

It still reeks of Drizzt fanwankery. The combat style options pale compared to the Fighter or Paladin, and they’ve tried to put more emphasis on the spellcasting.

The entire Beastmaster tree is just gimped. Spending all your bonus actions on your pet hurts the combat ability a lot IMO.

The Hunter tree has some nice abilities, especially Colossus Slayer and Volley. But, you don’t get a lot of them.

They get Hunter’s Mark, which should be a class ability, not a spell. The strongest Rangers will be archers. Their reliance on Dec means you don’t even have the Strength to switch to a simple Longsword or a 2-hander, ala the Aragorn-style Ranger of 2e and Pathfinder. You’ll have to cut Wis to get any decent score in STR, otherwise you’re stuck with Finesse weapons (Lol Rapier).

Every other martial class does the Ranger’s job better, IMO. The Ranger isn’t versatile. A Bard is versatile.

I wanna run a wuxia style campaign were everyone is a gestalt character with one of their classes being a path of war class.

Damn that sucks, I heard the monk is still wack as hell too.

I had some decent ideas on how to fix that class and make it fun, it ended up being sort of a mix of a dragonfire adept/kensai/monk that could actually have a presence in the campaign without being to crazy. I gave them a cool nondescript ranged ki move that worked like a breath weapon that used the same mechanic as the kensai’s power surge class ability. I thought it was rather badass actually, and I like that mechanic as a way to keep shit like that in check while making it scale as you level.

You know what is crazy @manx, I was thinking of making a highlander style game after I read through the path of war and then I see someone on mythweavers made one for 3.5 like the SAME exact day I was thinking that. Shit is trippy.

From what I hear the Monk is pretty good; but of course, frail since it’s really mobile and actually hits hard now. By default at level 1, you get a bonus action to take an unarmed strike after you attack with a monk weapon. Flurry of Blows has been changed, so you spend a ki point to get TWO as a bonus action. There’s no longer to-hit penalties, either.

Monks may use their Dex for attack and damage with Monk weapons (including Unarmed Strike), even if they’re not Finesse, so they no longer need a higher Strength stat. Dex is the golden stat for them. So, yeah, someone with 18DEX at level 1 can rock around in a full attack with 1d8+4 (2H Quarterstaff or Spear), then 1d4+4 (unarmed strike).

Far as I can see, their damage definitely can keep up with the more martials, but you need high Dex and Wisdom to really some AC going. A Monk’s AC is equal to 10 + Dex AND Wisdom mods while wearing no armor.

Yeah from what I have read the monks are less mad and their branching paths give them some neat abilities but I hear they have the same issues of being weak to melee attacks and strong against ranged attacks and spells. No hp compared to the other martial classes but the ability to run away lol, not useful for the party, especially when compared to the Paladin who can do more damage and then turn around and heal his team mates.

I haven’t kept up that much with 5e, but the descriptions you guys are giving makes it sound like it is probably more appropriate to compare the monk to the rogue than to the tank-y classes.

Yeah it seems that way, a rogue with no non combat skills lol. What they should do is finally get rid of that terrible slow fall and tongue of whatever that nobody gives a shit about and replace them with real class features. How about since monk is made to be a mad(multiple attribute dependent for those that don’t know) you actually get a lot more benefit out of it, like hey you get wisdom to ac if you are unarmored so how about wisdom to hp as well? Would that break the game? Hell no, but it might go a long way in making monks more durable. While we are at it monks are known for being able to prevent physical damage, I mean we have a guy in REAL life that can take drills to the skull, but dnd monks have no damage reduction…seriously?

They get a great ability at like level 17 and 20 but those shits are sooooo late in the game that they really don’t matter. Monks should get something along the lines of pounce at level 4 that works only with monk weapons and unarmed strikes or any weapon you gain proficiency in(I think shit like that works different in 5e no?) and the standard monk path should gain damage reduction along the lines of half their level plus their wisdom modifier so that the standard monk is more tanky compared to the magic wielding monks. I kind like the blaster and shadow monk but I think they could have done better.

@manx, I think we should get to work on that forum game man, lets just use pathfinder to make it easier. I wanna see some of this new shit in action and see who can come out on top in pvp. I think gestalt with everyone using a balance of low tier mixed with high/mid tier to make it fair so people don’t make wizard/psionic combos or some shit lol.

Posting so I can remember this thread exists with SRK’s shitty notification thingies.

So I am thinking about running a sandbox pathfinder game…who is in?

I found this documentary. It’s pretty good. Similar to our Street Fighter/fighting game community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wARSCp_dJk

EDIT: Speaking of Pathfinder. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpgIVcMmUNM

It’s funny that you mention that because I am thinking of shifting gears from a sandbox game to a Gladiatorial pvp game. Most of the rule are done. Just wondering if now is good time because I really need help dming something like that.