Draw THIS!

How about using some true japanese mindset? In a Iaijutsu duel (japanese version of quick draw duel, just that with swords instead of guns), basically because of being a close ranged single strike, the one who draws the sword quicker will hit first, never missing the target. And what happens in these duels when it ends in a tie? They both lose, having managed to slash at each other simultaneously. The same happens in some card games tournaments, from what I’ve seen; if people in finals happen to tie, both get 2nd place prize. That’s to ensure that only one must win.

Fighting games, in many ways, are driven by the spirit of being the best, and many people will not even think about forfeiting a grand final, because there is a loss of respect from doing so, even more when he/she did it only to ensure some money. Sure, they could decide to play and arrange another setup for them (50-40 instead of the classic 60-30), but they still would have to take it out on the battlefield. But at least using the option described above would make them have to play to decide a clear winner (not many people would just “forfeit” the match to get their insured half in case they decide to split half-half). Also, remember that any offer to do so, in finals, using extra incentives that are outside the 1st-2nd place prizes, and ANY talk from a player about giving some incentive to an opponent to drop a match is considered bribery, and is on grounds for inmediate disqualification without prize as well as possible banning from future tournaments in many games/communities.

at first i thought u meant they did a draw in-game
(which, isnt it kind of hard to do unless u purposely set-it up? aka extremely boring to watch)

throwing a match is lame
tho i dun see y they couldnt still try to really win and jus split the prize

in which case…
all it really becomes is a case of sharing prize money
which imo, i dun think is bad

but if it is the case of purposely losing…
whos thrown a match?
(unless u dun wanna divulge names)

flip a coin to determine the outcome of a tie

Wow I think 90% of people here didn’t read the damn article. It’s about THROWING the finals match and splitting the money, NOT getting a draw in game.

You can’t “give both players 2nd place” because most of the time it’s incredibly hard to tell when a match was thrown (unless one person just lets go of his stick and lays down for the loss).

And they say only 09ers fail at reading comprehension…

i have a best friend… we’re teammates, and out gaming ability is about even more or less… we do doubles tournies at the drop of a hat together, and when we do singles tournies we ask the host(s) to please put us on parallel brakets so we don’t have to face each other right away… but when and if we have to go up against one another we both bring our A-game… and both of us know this… it’s the competitive spirit… we put on a show for those who are about to perform themselves… one of us wins the other loses… we go on about our bizniz… it’s the competitive spirit… and ties don’t have any of that…

But its funny reading all the replies that are under the assumption its in game =P

Throwing a match in a tournament of any sort is a misdemeanor in various states, especially if done with any sort of prize on the line. It’s not a cry of “cheap”, it’s a cry of “down right dirty, unethical, and in some areas illegal”. It’s a far cry from the scrubs who complain about throws and hadoukens.

Why don’t people just agree to split the pot and go all out for glory.

The best way to stop this is to beat them.

Someone who entered and lost in the tournament must have learned something either from someone or the mistakes they made.

In the end, it’s your judgment on whether the information/experience you gain during a tournament is valuable or not.

Great thread! Trolling…

Boo this man!!!

While I’ve never done so in VG tournaments I have split many times in other game related tournaments. Here’s the scenario. Big tournament, you drive 2-4 hours to play, you play all day and beat everyone but the last opponent. With the drive (or a night spent in a hotel) and the fact you have been playing your ass off all day you are tired, mentally exhausted, and hungry. You look your opponent in the eye and look at the odds. Okay 70-20 split, so the difference between first and second place is hundreds of dollars. If you draw say you both get $450 otherwise one person will win and get $700 and the loser will get $200.

Your already exhausted and stressed because you just played through the top rounds of the tournament and had to go all out vs. the other top players, but you won. Now are you ready to play set of w/e game for $500? That is a pretty tall order. I don’t know too many people that would want to swing a $500 money match, so obviously you just split. Then you play it out without having it be basically a $500 match to see who would have won. You both get a good payout and end the tournament late in the day, all you want to do is get some food and shine on your friends on the ride home because you just kicked ass. On the way out the door some kid who scrubbed out in round 3 and has been playing casual matches and eating pizza calls you a scrub because you didn’t play it out. You have a fat wad of cash in your pocket though and you are happy as shit. Deep down he knows he never had a chance to win the tournament. Given the same situation there is no way in hell he would have played a high stakes game at the end of a long day.

He is what is commonly called a “hater.” He feels like you owe him a climactic ending to a tournament he had little to no impact on. This is Street Fighter not fucking Professional Football. People come to tournaments to have fun and maybe win money. It’s not even like the same players are going to split every top 2. You have a better chance of playing vs. any given player leading up to the finals than you ever had of meeting them in the finals so it’s not like the best players are never playing highly competitive matches. Unless you have been in this position ever, where you have the option to split or play a multiple hundred dollar game of SF you really don’t have any room to complain. People still play it out for the rep. I don’t know too many people who would get to the grand finals of a large tournament, split the prize money, than roll over. People want to be seen as winners. Once the money is gone the only thing people will remember is who won in the end.

Really the best solution to this “problem” is to have a system of “Pro-Points” where say there is a nationwide system where if you win a tournament of over X amount of people you get say 10 points, then for 2nd you get 6 points, and for 3rd you get 4 points, then maybe 3 for 4th, 2 for 5th-6th, and 1 for 7th-8th. Then you just have a “Pro” reward system at the end of the season based on points. Lots of games with large tournaments nationwide have a system similar to this. That way even past the prize money there is still a reward. Unless the tournament is televised or something where the audience is the main concern instead of say the players you aren’t going to be able to put a gun to peoples’ heads and have them play a SF game for a month’s rent. As is 99.99% of tournaments exist as a service to the individuals who play in them, not for the enjoyment of the audience. Although I don’t think it should matter to you personally as an outsider whether the finals is played for an obscene amount of money or bragging rights.

Basically if you were in the same position you would take the split and smile like you ate a shit sandwich. So OP the real question is, have you ever played out a hundred + dollar match of SF? If the answer is no you really should STFU and just realize that people get killed over $500 and in the end we play SF for fun. The World Warrior tournament is not real and people who are better than you at a video game don’t owe you shit. Making the finals a little bit more exciting for you because there is money involved <<<< Winning money.

Or this thread was necro’d from 2003 and everyone else already figured this part out… Damn you Proverb.

My favourite part was where he didn’t know who Seth Killian was, and thus decided to ask if he’d ever played a match over $100.

Just pointing this out for people who’ll inevitably skip over such a large post by someone who isn’t S-Kill in a Dom101 thread.

How about just handing out literal beatdowns to these clowns??? I’m sure that will put an end to ties

I know this article is a decade old, but maybe it could use another bump to the front page.

Convince sponsors to fine their players if they’re caught splitting

Is there a non-forum version of this? I’d like to show this to a few people without having them sign up

Relevance 10 years later in 2013.

Someone please re-post this on the main page. People need to be re-educated.

MadCatz has already confirmed they will, along with threatening to pull sponsorship. That being said, only idiot players will get caught pot splitting. No way you’re going to follow a top player’s every move and actually watch them split the cash prize with 2nd place. You’ll never stop pot splitting. But that shouldn’t detract from both players giving their all to prove who the superior player is. Money should never be the sole purpose of why you try so hard to do well in tournaments.

You don’t need to create an account to view forum posts. You only need an account to post on threads.