Detailed list of non-Capcom oldschool fighting games for the PS3/360/PC

visual cue is next to the life bar at the top.

No Battle Fantasia? Or is that not considered old-school since it’s rendered in 3D?

I was thinking King Of Fighters '98 Unlimited Match Final Edition when I get the chance. It’s from SNK but I though it was something for steam…

Fighting Games on Steam in North America…

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend*
King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition*
King of Fighters 2002 Ultimate Match*
King of Fighters XIII*
Skullgirls Encore*
Vanguard Princess
Divekick*
Mortal Kombat 9 Complete
Mortal Kombat Colection ( MK 1-3, May be broken due to GfWL)
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Virtua Fighter
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter X Tekken
Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (coming soon)

*games with online play

Did someone mention non-Capcom games. This is the real precursor to Street Fighter II and beyond:

What were the stages? Greece, USA, Japan, Egypt, England, Australia are the ones I remember.

cool going to give a few of these a try

Yatagasaru: Attack of Cataclysm in 4 days.

Add Gulty Gear Accent Core+ R

And I believe Battle Fantasia is coming soon

I haven’t updated the opening post in 2 years. I’ll get to it next week but please organize a proper list of what is missing. Old school SF-like games only. No airdashers, and relatively new titles/versions.

Currently planning on adding KOF98UMFE,2K2UM,Yata:AOC,BF:Revisited, and update Koihime to Enbu.

It’s tough to find new footsie/ground based games these days. America has a couple more now with MKX and KI, but those game’s combo systems dont work too much like SF and require a next gen system or decent PC to play.

The only thing like that that I’ve seen my brother play lately is Aqua Pazza. There’s a couple others I know of even though they’re a bit older.

This one is somewhat old and difficult to find a download link for. It’s called Monster and apparently it’s difficult to find even youtube videos of the game now. Generally a footsie/grounded doujin game although there are a few characters that can air dash. Was created by an ex Capcom employee apparently. The guy playing the tiger furry is an old friend of mine from SRK who basically helped teach me how to play Ibuki in 3S and read frame data. Haven’t seen him in long time.

Vanguard Princess. Been out for a while but I don’t think it’s super old where it’s not worth mentioning. Follows in the realm of the new Rising Thunder game where the commands are simple and made to be easily playable on a keyboard. It’s extremely anime/fan service so you have to be comfortable with that.

It’s generally tough to find newer Japanese fighting games like this. SNK was the only one really holding it down for these types of games outside of the doujins and KOF13 might be their last game for a while.

I’ll second Monster. It’s a fun game with some interesting mechanics and characters. Used to have good net play as well but I have no clue if that still exists. Plus that Egyptian God looking guy could paint the fence in freedom mode, which was completely impractical but awesome.

You guys tried this one yet?

watching the 16-bit demo of that game in computer stores was a unique experience. Those backgrounds…

Never heard of some of these, might have to check these out!

I’m trying to see if anyone can tell me the name of a fighting game from the late 90’s early 2000’s. I played this game in an arcade cabinet but it might have been in a console also. This is all the info I remember.

1. There were around 10 playable characters.
  2. There was like a French zorro guy, a ninja, a Bruce lee look like, and others. I think the Bruce lee character had a special move that resembled a shoryuken with flames.
  3. The main boss was a huge maybe robotic dude, he was playable also and if you pressed three buttons he’d do a special move where hed like spin chains or nunchuks.
    Thanks.

Breakers and Breakers Revenge

[quote=“xiceman191, post:36, topic:164082”]

Breakers and Breakers Revenge

[/quote]

That’s it, damn thanks dude.

Asura series is ok? (Asura Blade and Asura Buster)

gfs_72364_1_2

I skimmed and didn’t see Akatsuki Blitzkampf here, so I’ll put it here.

The game isn’t super old school (I think it dropped in like 2007 or '08), but the design mentality behind the systems is definitely not like even the contemporaries of its time. There are 4 games, but the one that you are most likely to have heard about or come across is Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Achse (which is the update to Akatsuki Blitzkampf). The other two games aren’t as popular. I can’t get the first one to load, and the latest game (En-Eins) has auto block and auto combos, which feels nothing in line with ABK.

Let’s talk mechanics. I haven’t played this game in a while and I didn’t play every character when I was more active, so bear with me. ABK is a three button fighter (A, B, C). There are juggles, and you have a parry that you can activate manually. As per usual with mechanics like a parry in older style games, if you whiff a parry, you have a lot of recovery. Not too much, but just enough to capitalize on if you pay attention. Outside of that, the combo system is pretty lenient. It controls tightly, and execution isn’t loose. We aren’t talking SF5 levels of handholding. This game feels more like a doujin game and Third Strike. I try not to use that comparison loosely, but that’s the best thing I have to describe it.

There’s a tank that is playable in the game.

This game is a poverty/mystery/basement darling, having not reached anywhere near Melty Blood’s level of recognition, but getting a nod of approval from a lot of the more core community. The game has a Discord (inactive as it tends to be sometimes), and it’s rather easy to get going on your computer. All in all, it’s free, it’s fun, and it’s worth a shot. I tend to be a Jehovah’s Witness of sorts when it comes to games that I really enjoy (Don’t even get me started on Killer Instinct), but this one is one of the better examples of games that deserve their time in the limelight.

1 Like

It’s worth the try because it’s free, you said it.

In the basic moveset, there’s also a reflector movement (B+C), not sure what Akatsuki game it’s from. Interesting by the way, this game, more polish and budget could have saved it.

(or perhaps because they all look like german officers from WWII make the game weird??)

BLITZTANK, directly in the folder : /weird characters/

1 Like