Delete please

There’s no shame
If you’re not getting the results you’re looking for or more importantly not enjoying yourself playing fighting games then maybe you’re right to take a short break.

People will be more inclined to help you if you stop acting so emo and come up with specific problems and questions.

It seems like every week I alternate between “why am I so shit at fighting games I will never be good I must have some kind of genetic predisposition to suck at them” to “wow I’ve learned so much since I started playing fighting games woohoo”.

If you aren’t having fun or at lease sensing progress, take a break. You need to have the fire in your belly to improve or it will all go to waste. When I start questioning things I step back and try to take a look at things, and each time I come back because I want it that bad.

So, I suggest taking a break and thinking on why you want to get better and if you really do want to keep trying. Because if you really want it, you will get hungry and come back again.

That’s the thing, I play another game and end up thinking I want to play Tekken, so I come back and the same thing happens again

Basically how do I stop getting completely destroyed online so I can actually rank up and get a win rate higher than 47%

People already told you in the thread to stick to long sessions against a single player so you can familiar with the game and his characters. Don’t play ranked obviously and stop looking at your stats.

Ask yourself these questions. Do I understand what these characters are capable of? Can I break grabs easily? Can I see when he/she is going to attack low?
How good is my spacing? Do I see and use every single opportunity to catch him off guard? How well can I read his tactics and use them against him? How well do I know what my characters are capable of?

Indeed, this is true

It’s online. Do u have money on the line? Is it a tournament? Nope…online is fun practice against a variety of players. Now getting killed still isn’t fun, online or offline, but with all the resources available in the modern age it is so easy to improve. You’ve played 538 hours…but how have you used those hours? Dilly dallying? Just doing the same stuff over and over? Quality is often more important than quantity and in fighting games that is no different.

Now, finally r fighting games for you? Why are you asking other people? We can’t read your mind. It’s as simple as this, do you have fun playing? Yes? Then they are for you weather you are awful or a god. No? Then they aren’t regardless of your skill level.

Doing what I want to do with those 538 hours. Play online for fun (where the fun came from the winning), but somewhere along the line I realised I’m getting nowhere

Throw breaks: Used to be able to do them fairly good, but I’m out of practice as I haven’t played human opponents in a while before I made this thread
Going low/high. I can do up until 8th dan players. 8th dan and up just seem to be all over the place with their characters fitting that some of the fights I don’t input anything (except for quick roll) and get juggled the whole round

Play to learn not to win. You have the wrong mindset.

You have to get used to losing in order to learn, and you won’t learn unless you are actively trying to. And if you aren’t learning you won’t start winning.

Maybe you should post up some videos if you have the potential to. You’ll get a lot of critique and pretty harsh criticism from guys like me but it’ll help you in the long run (assuming you want to get better). And then you can work on your more apparent problems and start to see progress.

Tekken community easily has the most comprehensive guides available. Hour long vids that honestly they should be charging for. Watch ATP tutorials Watch levelupyourgame vids on different characters they are literally like 5 characters short of having the whole cast done. Punishers BnBs gameplan, everything you need can be found in those vids.

Practice makes perfect; so never give up.

“Good morning twitter in life don’t be a quitter achieve through the struggle…everyone was a beginner”- Sanford Kelly, 2013.

Remember friend, fighting games are mostly mental, how can you beat someone else if you beat yourself first by saying you can’t do it? You just did all the hard work for your opponent. Play, Lose, Learn, Practice, Win, you can do it :).

If you wanna git gud at fighting games, you need 3 things:

1. Time
  2. Time
  3. Humbleness
  4. Ability to count (frame data)

Fight through it. I started getting much more into UMVC3 last week. My current win rate is something like 6 wins 54 loses. You think I care? Nope. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to be competitive, I do. These things just take time and practice. In most of those loses I can identify what I did wrong and work through it. That doesn’t mean it’ll be magically fixed, but it’s on the way there.

Try and see what you’re doing wrong (maybe watch pro gameplay), and work from there. There is no magical fix. Just hard work and study.

Yeah man you’re just gonna have to keep practicing and put a lot of time and commitment to the game, keep watching those tutorial videos and watch tons of good matches. Hey, I’ve spent almost 3-4 years playing MvC3 just to get where I am at now and to be able to handle things myself. Just because you enjoyed Tekken 3, bought and played Tekken Advanced and played tons of TTT1 doesn’t mean you’re gonna be good at it when you jump in but it helps you choose who you want to use for your team (unless you’re going SOLO) and also that those old Tekken games play differently. So man just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and don’t give up, every player has their ups and downs. But if you truly feel that TTT2 isn’t your game well try another fighting game. Keep in mind all these good advice people are giving you hear.

The fights are getting better now. Thinking more about what’s going on on screen and what to do next. Much closer fights and come backs and taking down a few brown rank players (whether or not they were going all out is something I won’t know). Now if I can take that to ranked.

Stop playing ranked period until you get to a point where you can actually win consistently in like player match or something. Ranked is pretty much a distraction at this point and its really holding you back.