Controlling Space

lwk… im sure you would have no problem using your gadlike tactics against my friend neiman (who uses hugo), so you wanna mm him? lemme know, with those tactics how could you lose <3

Neiman has a awesome Hugo. Sorry if my post came off kind of cocky, I’m not saying I could just beat all Hugo’s. (third is a long road) I’d say Neiman has the best Hugo I’ve played, and I am not sure if I could hold up against him now. The last time I played him, I got my ass handed. With this game, it has become quite tough for me to adjust to feeling ‘at home’ with chars, which is why I’m a permanent Urien player now.

I have not played adolfo or ramos either, but those dudes tear shit up with him.

BTW, my previous post sounded pretty arrogant, so I edited it. My bad.

how many squirrels must die for you to look fly? :rofl:

Ironically, my school has a squirrel infestation.

I MM Neiman to standing 720 contest for $5k

lol tom. i even like you over me in that bet. i cant standing 720 consistently. i never even attempt to do that shit in real game play.

Don’t fall for it…

Arlieth has special MB training.

Nuff said.

A must read.

Great article. Particularly love the example of Rose’s whiffing down mp. Really explained the concept of tachimawari well.

[media=youtube]TlpKqkKd2dM&feature=PlayList&p=F4B2956719A0026D&playnext=1&index=4[/media]

Look at the 19th second a very well timed SRK poke

This thread is fucking crucial.

I am so glad someone else was able to put into words the true essence of what street fighter is all about. CONTROLLING SPACE!

Whenever I have to explain to my friends reasons I am so into the fighting game genre , this is always my first response…

The very fabric behind almost all games is based on this simple principal , you either control the space on the screen or lose.

Its the same as being in a real life situation of conflict…you must have control over your opponent.

For anyone looking for more on the subject

Enjoy

[media=youtube]d0cFs5mHQC4&feature=player_embedded[/media]

good article… i was taught spacing back in the ST days… doing it with Guile was soooo much simpler back then… but it still applies to my game today… the ‘range game’ is all my Sagat does… locking down an opponent is easy with such an effective spacing arsenal … if i could work out how to do it well with Cammy and Chun i’d be in business…

Good gear!

Great article, this whole board is a must read for 09’ers like myself

Just as I have, I think you are slightly missing the point of the example with Rose’s c.strong in A2. Sirlin is not just trying to convey that you need the longest range to control space, but that you need to be within your ‘optimal’ range of doing so…

(e.g. with characters such as Cammy/Chun/Fei, they may lack the Sim/Sagat range, but once they get within their own range, the start-up on their otherwise averagely-ranged normals will just beat out that of the longer-ranged characters…it is an art and tough to master)

man that read was godlike.makes me think of when my older gaming friends played SFST when it was the “newest hype”,:rofl: i like watching older SF,because there were no crazy tactics,just pure man2man comp.and space control could make you or break you.

good shit.

Nice article. Helped me better understand the importance of controlling space.

Yeah a lot of people I talk to baout fighting games don’t understand this…I tell them it’s all about geometry (which I’ve always thought) and those idiots think it’s all about pulling combos… Fucking losers. You know exactly what to say Ponder :slight_smile: Great words.

So this is what magus is always yelling at scrubs to go and read.

Love it

To paraphrase the author, As near as I could tell from reading your long-winded strategy, it boils down to: poke with punches and kicks. Don’t let them walk up, try to keep them from jumping in on me, and don’t get your limbs DP’d. Brilliant stuff, bound to catapult the mediocre players into tournament champs overnight.

I wonder if I would be mentioned in the footnotes of the paper. :slight_smile: