Comparison of HDR Versions (PS3, 360, DC, CPS2)

Oh yeah, I also noticed this. It’s especially noticeable for Chun Li.

I’ve always noticed it with a few of Ken’s sound effects, namely his throw. Cool to see some other people corroborate this.

You are correct. Chun for example is much higher pitch on PS3.

EDIT: Posted this before I saw Thelo’s reply. He beat me to it! :confused:

Cammy sounds like a chipmunk on the PS3 version.

Ah, good lookin’ out. Thanks for the info, man! :smile:

Wow always thought there was a significant difference, now if only psn was better i would get the hdr for the ps3 instead of selling it like i was thinking so i can play everyone. Hmmm im not sure yet though.

Offline may not be, but online is.

I’ve clearly noticed ken warps through guile after a kneebash if he jumps immediately. Lag is not an explanation.

Moonchilde has found vega’s cr.punches can be swept out of range online.

I even saw a cammy glitch the other day with her sprite.

I hope there is some major underlying problem, that fucks the offline portion and gets capcom to actually overhaul this version.

Dreams don’t come true that often though.

What was that?

Everytime my opponent used her thrust kick, her sprite got all distorted with her whatever color he had chosen for her. It only distorted at the top part where it kind of hangs on whiff.

Haven’t seen it, but if it can happen once, it can happen again.

Recently I’ve been seeing the super spark glitch with Balrog when I play off-line a lot. It happens maybe once every 20 matches.

This glitch is pretty broken when it happens too because if you try to react punish the first dash straight punch it will just go straight through your attack because it still has super invincibility.

So because of this glitch a player has the extra threat of having to worry that if he tries to react punish a Balrog who has a full super meter he might eat 50% damage.

Is this glitch present in the Xbox version? If it is not then that is a pretty big gameplay difference.

I don’t follow. What exactly is this glitch and what does it have to do with the super spark?

There is a glitch in HDR concerning Balrog’s Super and possible other supers.

Sometimes the first punch of the super will come out with a delayed super spark. This means that you won’t see a shadow or super spark during the first few frames of the move. Sometimes this delay can last as long as the first punch.

The super sound still plays as normally though.

I play with Zinac every other day or so and this has happened at least once the last 3 times we’ve played. We play a lot of Balrog vs Fei matches, I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

NKI says he has seen it here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=195051

He says it looks like the game froze, but in my experience it’s more like the game jumps forward and skips frames.

Ah, not surprising when it was Backbone that added the new special effects, which occupy different space and timing from the old effects. I know I’ve seen Blanka’s electricity glitch (where the electricity currents remain a la DBZ super saiyajin for the rest of the round) on the PS3 version pre- and post-patch.

The whole online PS3 game is backboned.

I don’t know if its the game, my joystick, or my internet connection or all of them, but my game drops inputs randomly.

That doesn’t sound like something with the game itself, maybe something with a controller/converter? The netcode in both versions is pretty laggy compared to ST on GGPO but I know I haven’t encountered any instance where I pressed a button out in the open and it didn’t come out (although folks are free to post their own experiences). The Live netcode is certainly smoother overall but it’s still like comparing the merits of Hawk and Gief compared to Dhalsim IMO.

Sometimes, if it’s really laggy (like connecting to South America, Asia, eastern Europe, or someone on a really slow connection), the game will teleport so much that it’ll skip by entire moves. I’ve seen that happen on both PSN and Live.

I always play with no smoothing so I’m not sure whether higher smoothness settings affect anything besides adding longer (but more fixed) delay. Anyway, online HDR has a noticeably faster speed than offline so its accuracy is off by the outset.

The game will randomly drop my qcf inputs. Mostly online, but there are quite a few new glitches being discovered with the PSN version online.

It may not affect offline at all which is fine, but no one in Tennessee plays HDR, they play fucking SFIV. So I’m up a shit creek in a leaky boat.

Great in-depth post, however while testing offline in Local Mode, I definitely noticed a speed difference between the PS3 and 360 versions. I’m currently using a Sony 62’ LCD (1080i). While playing on Ryu stage and selecting Ryu for both sides, I did basic jumping tests (aka what Sabre originally did when the beta came out) and observed how long the character was in the air from pressing the Up directional button. On the PS3 version, it took longer for Ryu to reach the ground as compared to the 360 version on Speed 3. In essence, the only way the character (Ryu) matched the same time of descent was to select Speed 4 for PS3. Whereas for the 360 to match the same time of descent in the air on PS3 Speed 3, I had to select Speed 2.

I’ll try to do some more tests with different chars and stages on another TV (CRT) later this week.

Quick Question Ganelon, when conducting your tests for the 360, did you change the systems output resolution to match the LCD at 1080I or1080p or did you just leave the 360 on the default 480p?

From early testing it seems that the HDR scene may have to adopt different default speeds settings for tourneys based on which console used.

I performed my testing on whatever the default output is for HDMI and composite on either machine. I didn’t change the visual settings at all, nor did I change any other setting on either console or in the game itself (meaning speed was default when performing the PS3-360 tests) except to make the game display in 4:3 resolution (it’s a possibility 16:9 has differences but I wasn’t able to test that with a CRT).

I’m pretty sure the default HDMI output to a 1080p display (e.g. the Evo monitor) is 1080p on both machines. The game is drawn in 720p so the systems themselves must be upscaling that image to 1080p when I set it that way. If you don’t use the same resolution as your HDTV, the TV handles the upscaling into its native resolution for you, which is almost always slower than letting your system do the task.

As stated, I also reversed monitors with identical results. I’m not sure how you’re testing using 1 monitor (timing the difference isn’t exact enough IMO) but unless you’re recording everything, you’ll need to see the images side-by-side to be certain. I held the up direction with multiple characters in mirror matches across multiple stages and the results were always the same, with the exact same jumping rhythm up through the very end.

I definitely think you should change TVs, make sure settings are reset or defaulted, and use a control in your tests if not already.

Bolding the important parts. I’ve noticed a very, very strong correlation between people who complain about constant teleporting and people who play with zero smoothing. I strongly recommend you leave smoothing at the default setting, it works very well and I was actually quite jarred when I came back and randomly played on GGPO last week. I forgot how jumpy GGPO actually was in practice.

Well, it’s true the game will be smoother with smoothing on but the cost of the game delaying its fastest graphical output by a few frames later will really affect response time in low-ping games.

You may be able to deal with that but because my response times are slightly below average (according to all the reaction time tests online), I have little leeway. I’d rather have input responses closer to offline most of the time rather than a delay all the time.

GGPO teleports much less at any ping but if you find it inconsistent, you can always adjust smoothing there as well.