Chun-li Q&A: Ask simple questions here!

how do i do chun li ex sbk as a wake up? when i try to do it, it whiffs, or i have to wait for 2 seconds and then the ex sbk works. is it cause i have a 360 controller?

I really like Ryu for a secondary, I have a safer (not necessarily better) match against Sagat, and I can harass Rufus-only players. Chun covers his boxer weakness so I’m set on that.

Bison is in the works but I have him there too. He handles Blanka easier than Chun has to work for, and also limits Rufus more than Chun would (not a tall order since it’s horrible to begin with lol).

Akuma…this is the one I really want to master. He has no bad match ups when played correctly, and he’s considered S+ tier with Sagat (in Japan). I can definitely see why, but using him is a whole different story. My lack of experience with him causes me to take bad trades, then get turtled from. But I really want to have this character in my arsenal.

Of course, this is all without just going to Sagat himself. Or any other type of “bastard” characters. I want to be remembered over the typical players, but I’m working on winning consistently to do so.

Oh and, I also really like Ken. That’s just me though. I like having a character to just press forward with all the time when I really don’t want to have to work too hard for wins. I make foos panic when I knock down with him :badboy: :nunchuck:

Just get into the habit of keeping your down charge. Wait until you see Chun start to get up off the ground, then time your up+2k. If you’re good about keeping your charge and get knocked down from high enough, you can even do a quick get up and reversal ex sbk.

If you’re whiffing, your opponent might just not be in range for it. You don’t have to use it all the time, and it saves meter and you from being predictable if you mix in other wake up strategies. Back dashing, jumping back (with hk), throw, fadc if you’re spaced well – keep them guessing wrong.

It’s pretty hard to describe in words, but a few things to make sure you are doing:

It takes 1 second to charge, if you abandon :d: or :db: whilst you are knocked down it won’t come out. You can keep your charge and tech fall (quick recover) by pressing two buttons as you hit the ground, rather than using :d:.

Make sure you are pressing two kicks to get the ex. If you aren’t accurate you can get non-ex sbk and that move has no invincibility and generally is pretty bad outside of a combo. If your opponent jumps at you as you are getting up and you do non-ex sbk it might appear as though you did nothing at all.

Theres a certain amount of frames (timing) during wakeup where if you input a move it becomes a reversal, which is a good way to tell that you are doing the move as soon as possible. You can go into training mode and record the cpu sweeping you in a corner, and then jumping at you with an attack as you wake up. Then you can practise the timing of reversal ex-sbk on wakeup and get a better feel for it yourself. When you get it right, reversal will appear on the screen and the invincibility frames of ex sbk should let you beat out most straight up jump-ins.

Just curious, what are you guys using to punish Guile’s c.hk? Also, what are you doing to avoid Fuerte’s wake up shennanigans?

1. Ultra after first hit, Super, FA lvl 2

2. FADC forward or back depending on his tendancies.

Thanks, I was trying a well timed c.lk on Guile’s c.hk but found that I didn’t always do it right. You’ve been able to do these a bunch on reaction? It will just be something I have to get programmed into my play, I don’t get to practice it much since I hardly ever run into Guiles.

As for Fuerte, I was referring to his dash grab/splash option on MY wakeup. EX SBK seems to get stuffed and obviously if I guess block on the wrong option I get tossed. Or are you saying I can FADC even the grab?

This is what I do:

I usually use the second one unless I have super/ultra stocked.

^^ Thanks I’ll give that a shot too.

Lol, the only reason I don’t want to pick up C.Viper is because I don’t want to play 2 females.

I’m thinking of learning Rufus, I used to play Dhalsim but he’s gotten boring now, I might pick up Rufus … He seems pretty alright.

I finally got the timing for it down for all hits to connect. But I never use it …

Every attack in the crumple state has a penalty of 0.8 (I think) … So that means your Ultra is reduced in damage.

Also, Chun’s Ultra is perhaps the easiest to land in the game she can land it anytime she successfully lifts her opponent off the ground

… EX legs, Ultra
… EX SBK, Ultra
Midair J.HP target combo, wait, Ultra
… b+mk,mk,u/d+mk, wait, Ultra (I won’t recommend this, it gets damage scaled badly)

Oh and although you have to be somewhat close to the corner, I think the range is pretty lenient. You don’t have to be exactly in the corner, just somewhere near it, the corner doesn’t even have to be visible when you start the Ultra.

Also, if your opponent is projectile happy, make sure he pays for it.

Buffering Moves

How exactly do you buffer moves. And will this strategy is viable to Chun?

bush the buttons while she is doing another move. like double tapping lk. or inputting super while doing fireball or othere stuff. you get the idea.

My alt is Vega (claw). He brings to the match a totally different set of mindgames. And just from being low tier, he’s a challenge for most people. That’s what you look for when your Main gets boring, right?

But I actually like him. His forward dash is insanely fast and his Saving Attack is definitely one of the tops. His ultra/super motion is a bit weird but I think I’ll get the hang of it soon.

With similarities to Chun, he is a charge character, low vitality, and heavily relies on his EX gauge. Not to mention he occasionally sounds like a female :slight_smile:

With a losable set of claw and mask, I think he makes an awesome Alt. I’d recommend it to anyone who is in need of a Chun break. He may not be stronger than Ryu or Rufus, but he’s hecka fun to play.

yeah… it was obvious you didnt know how to play against fuerte when you and my friend played each other.
dont worry, i have just as much troubles as you do,and he runs through every other chun he plays when the lag isnt horrid… it looked like you were having issues on your end as far as the lag was concerned also.

i cant really give any pointers except to outrange fuertes run splash when playing neutral games… goofyhand played my friend 2 games… lost the first match… barely, then he played him again a few games later and won both rounds with about 50% hp left, which to me is prettydominant, plus it looked like the connection was pretty good. goofy just outplayed my friend with mixing backdashing and forward dashing… plus charging fa then dashing forward or back… it was really pretty to watch, fastest chun i’ve ever seen, perhaps he can give us some pointers, cause i hate this matchup also.

-dime

This move is sort of underrated. I often use it after throwing a LP Kikouken. It hits surprisingly often, and even if it gets blocked, many people will think to throw something out afterwards - you can sweep them for trying. So basically, LP Kikouken, walk behind it, F+MK, sweep.

In a footsie game, I may also use it to cover ground…whiff one right in front of them, and have it put Chun barely in range for a LK Hasan Shu. Also, on wakeup, sometimes I will whiff it above the fallen opponent and then do a Hasan Shu. For many people, seeing you whiff that moves as they get up makes them want to either throw out a low short or throw you, and both options lose to the HS. Of course, this is VERY risky against anyone with a good reversal who is willing to use it. Of course, you can use this to bait out reversals as well to punish…for example, if you have Ultra meter, knock down a Honda player, whiff F+MK as he is getting up and try to get an EX Headbutt out of him…free ultra.

EDIT
You can see me using F+MK against a Ryu player in this vid at 2:04 - [media=youtube]nu8Yh-NB_xs[/media]

J.RH has the better priority overall, but J.FP is more useful for its mix-up/juggle set-ups. Air to air is usually J.FP, although JS (jump straight).RH is tops.

I like Guile. He has some very base similarities to Chun, so it helps to focus my Chun game better. I’m also playing around with Akuma. He has a nice rushdown game, and since his vitality is WORSE than Chun’s, it’ll improve your defensive capabilities.

Input leniency allows a few ways to buffer moves. For instance, you can buffer hasan shu by doing the hcb motion and then waiting. Theres a short time afterwards where the game accepts the kick and completes the hasan shu. This is useful in that you can do the motion, wait to see if your opponent throws a fireball… if they do, complete the motion with a kick, if not go back to charging/blocking.

In the same way you can buffer ultra… eg. as you are knocked down if you feel your opponent might try to meaty you can input :r::l::r: and wait… if you see a meaty (for example if they start charging a focus… sometimes used to bait reversals) complete the motion with :3k:… etc.

Chun can buffer for combos… the ultra corner juggle is much easier if you are buffering, and will help you land it against characters with different fall speeds. And, universally, characters can buffer dashes when using focus attacks.

i know EXACTLY what you mean when you say “bastard” characters…

sagat was going to be my second, but i cant hit cr.lkx2,cr.lp consistently at all, and thats sagats biggest damage imho.

i also like akuma… chun then akuma then blanka are my fav characters as far as thinking they look tight.

unfortunately running away throwing airfireballs makes me wanna die of boredom… plus i just aint that good at it. my favorite thing about akuma is raging demon… i’d almost play him just for that move.

gouken has no hitconfirms… espaecillay from low.

blanka tho… hopping around and biting fools is fun!

yeah i think i’ma pick up me some blanka i’ve already got all of his electricity bs down, so its just a matter of learning matchups and strategy.

anybody finish blankas hard lvl 5 trial… that combo was absolute bullshit.

rose has got to be the games easiest hard trials… finished it in fifteen minutes… i kid you not.

-dime

Balrog is just insanely good and he’s really not that hard to play. If it’s a Rufus or Blanka, I’ll switch to Balrog. I also main Gen because he’s tricky and most people don’t even know how to fight him.

Blanka is a stupid character Dime :sad:

Heh, Akuma is a whole other world Dime. He’s just like Chun almost…he DOES have safe ways to rush 100% of the time, I’ve even seen an Akuma rush the hell out of Gief with good demon flips and zoning. Rarely saw that Akuma get cornered. If I come across the video again I’ll link you.

Man, I can’t do with Blanka though. I played him for a few minutes and realized how either easy or boring it is to win. Good players know what’s up so it’s like, a lame fest, completely :|. Other players it’s just too easy to take their health bar. I’ve always been a Blanka hater though, so that’s pretty biased.

Go Bison with me Dime :bgrin: . And Akuma!

After playing Balrog for a while, he’s no better than Blanka to me. He sits down, he’s easy, and he has higher vitality and better options, especially on offense if he needs to come back.

Bastard characters to me are the high vitality ones and Blanka, soooo easy to play :/.

Hehe, well everyone’s giving dime different suggestions, pretty much the whole cast lol

but i guess that’s chun.