Cammy Match-Up Discussion: Ryu

It’s pretty much what I wrote above. The distance you want to be at is right outside of ryus cr mp range but still inside his sweep range. When you break it down he can only fireball or sweep to which Cammy can punish as it becomes pretty predictable. The only potential issue is if he dashes in trying to take advantage of the input delay, but if you are throwing out whiffed cr mp from that range you will easily catch him at that range. The only reason Tokido won that match was because Xiao Hai couldn’t react to Ryu’s dash or sweep in time. Minus that and it was pretty much a win much like it was over Daigo.

Kaz took a better approach in that he moved up slowly while pressuring. My only issue with Kaz’s play is he was too pressuring with his strings. Even though they weren’t all the same string each one loses to SRK. Diago was just too scared to use it to punish in between but that would have been an easy win for him if he did throw it out once he had CA to get a large life lead. Ironically he did try to wake up DP though which is far worse then trying to break a string. Which brings me to another print IMO neither character should wake up DP due to the risk in this match up. Only do it if you absolutely know they are going to hit a button. It’s an easy 40% life if you are wrong for either character.

I think there’s something to be said about conditioning in this match.

As scrubby as it sounds, it seems like you either need to make them believe you are going to jump or dive kick, which limits their FB game and makes them sit with anticipation of needing to AA, or you need to make them believe you are gonna stay grounded and work their way in.

Knowing how to properly bait DP with dive kick is important. That I’ve come to realize. You need to jump at a range where you can dive kick and make them soar into the air.

If you can make them doubt their fireball game and hesitate with AAing, you’ll win 2/3.

I was playing with a Super Plat Ryu yesterday. I can’t for the life of me remember his name. I tried utilizing both styles and I don’t think one necessarily has the advantage over the other. I played another Ryu after that who quickly went into walk back and buffer mode after a baited DP and one well spaced dive kick combo on his cr. MK. That was basically the set from there. At that point, the grounded approach was the way to go because he was so worried about having to keep me in the air and afraid to use fireballs.

I am still diving into this match. I need to revisit Chun because that match still gives me fits. I recently played a set with Riceata, and won 5-4, but the follow-up set was like 2-5 him. That’s the first time I’ve won a set vs a Chun player in a while. A good Chun I mean. It’s almost like I have to guess my way through the match, but that’s for another thread.

I absolutely agree with the conditioning opponents. Going for the dive kick to condition DP or parry is also very viable but is riskier then the ground game as like you said your jumps have to be from varied distances to get it to whiff and if you empty jump hoping he’ll parry you’ll end up eating a DP anyway. The good news is if we are right the pay off can be huge (310-510 damage).

I’ve only been having a few issues with Ryu’s that are hard to deal with, but for the most part I think we win this. One is the jumping lk because of the insane hit box coverage over the hurt box and 6 active frames. It seems to always trade if you use b+mp or st hk so you can’t get a crush counter off it. You have to CS to beat it clean. The other problem besides his dash being somewhat hard to react to is his cross over. His and her hurt box can be visually deceiving as if it will hit or whiff. If it does hit Cammy’s down 50% life. I’ve been caught by it a few times when I swore I had more then enough space to just walk forward to make it whiff. I’ve watched frame by frame replays and it shows ryu passing me then on the last frame it shows the hit and cammy is pulled back under ryu’s leg. I know it’s just a visual but it messes with you and costs you big if you are wrong. You can late lk CS to beat it, but I’ve had it whiff enough times that I just SA out now if I’m unsure if it will land or not.

In the Chun match I feel it’s whoever gets momentum wins. Whoever ends up blocking usually ends up losing. Even with all of her additional options she has over us I still feel the match up is 5/5 until she has v-trigger. If they shortened it to move usage like Cammy’s then I’d say it’s even.

Personally I don’t believe the Ryu match up is in our favor. We lose in damage and he has more health. Getting in can also be difficult without meter if his fb game is on point and it’s not like we can afford to lose health getting in. We do win the footsie game but because of fb that is debatable.

I agree. I don’t think this match is in our favor. It’s even, maybe tilted towards Ryu 5.5. It’s more than just the damage/health differential. Realistically, Cammy has to go to Ryu. Ryu has the options to keep Cammy out. Ryu doesn’t have to contest Cammy with normals. His fireball, if used right, can really nullify Cammy’s spacing. It’s only when Ryu let’s Cammy get at a range where his Hadoken start-up can be clipped by the tip of st. MK that Cammy is in a good range. If she’s further than that, she’s at a disadvantage, and if she’s closer than that, she has to worry about cr. MP and cr. MK.

Now, throw the health differential and the damage output of Ryu into the mix and the match becomes more dangerous. This is definitely a match where you are playing the player, not the character.

Meter management is imperative as well if the Ryu player’s neutral game is on point, because you are gonna need EX dive kick or EX Spiral Arrow to make things happen.

In a longer set, I think it’s very even. Especially if the Cammy player uses conditioning like I was talking about earlier.

I agree ryu beats Cammy.

Its just difficult to compete with the health and damage