Cammy Match-Up Discussion: R. Mika

Yes it’s the same meaty timing as it is to beat a 3 frame jab essentially. For quick rise you can dash st mp, for back rise you can dash f+hp to beat it without needing to vary your hit timings. I believe it’s because it hits before the armor becomes active on frame 3. Low attacks and grabs also beat it, but like I was saying earlier when I slowed down in this match up I won. When I went for heavy pressure/meaty’s/frame traps I got caught more often than it was worth as any hit/whip with her basically puts you in the blender. Instead of going for meatys and keeping the pressure going I switched to doing the dash then slight block after SA and it paid off almost every time with a blocked EX peach. I only ignored this if they didn’t have meter.

If we took the approach of dashing in for the meaty like you suggest and they don’t EX you are back at the same position I would be of just blocking, but without the risk of hitting a 2 frame window to beat the EX peach. Now if they did EX and you did hit the meaty timing right you’d get a combo, but if you blocked instead and they EX’d you’d still get a combo as well. The main difference being blocking was safer in the long run as it didn’t require such tight timing. Of course the block method could be beat if they wake up grab, but Mika’s aren’t doing that for the most part. They are trained to catch you hitting something with EX peach on their wake up or your block string, just like a shoto is trained to catch you with DP. Until they start grabbing on their wake up more often than EX peach (or you have amazing timing) I wouldn’t rely too heavily on the meaty. It’s just easier to bait the EX.

Also watch round one of K-Brad vs Marn. The only round he loses is the ones he mis-times the meaty and gets hit by jab to whip. So for round two he changes to keeping the distance and uses cr mk to stop him from walking in and only goes for one meaty he knows will hit after he CS in the corner. By round three he isn’t even going for meatys anymore, he is just baiting Marn to hit jab so he can shimmy it and punish. You’ll notice he does zero frame traps as any of them could be broken in between with EX peach. Instead he hits one button and backs up to see if he is still mashing jab/or going to EX peach. Once he gets him in the corner K-brad realizes the risk of going for a meaty is too high as the distance/wake up timing is harder to time so he instead chooses to wait for the jab/grab/peach by shimmying to punish. Once he does this twice, Marn is mind fucked and is flustered at what to do and it’s basically over. The thing to take from this is K-Brad stays back and reduces the pressure to win. He stays back far enough to hit with cr mk (not st mk which Marn can catch with whip) so marn can’t walk up and he can still anti air in time. The only other forward pressure he does is from semi safe dive kicks. Meatys are viable their just riskier than a block in this match up in my opinion.

@ Kunai: I can’t react to the two rolls for my meaties haha, maybe it’s something one can practice, but I dunno. Individually, the meaty timing’s relatively easy for each roll. When varied up, it’s a hassle. So like SunTzu81 said, it is risky.

@SunTzu81: actually, Marn had no metre for the entirety of round 3 until he was dizzed and couldn’t use it anyway (the post dizzy combo killed him) so I don’t think K-Brad was worried about EX Peach after his frame traps. After that, K-Brad goes for meaties after Arrow everytime regardless of where he is on the screen and commits to a number of frame traps/strings despite Mika’s metre, due to Marn being conditioned to block a bit after getting nailed so many times. Also, instead of going for up-close frame traps with st.lp, st.mp, cr.mp etc., Cammy can use those buttons to tick into throw on block instead and that’ll nab EX Peach every time. It’ll lose to cr.jab, but you can make things less predictable by alternating between that, a frame trap, a “shimmy bait” or blocking, to keep yourself fresh and vary your options depending on what the opponent does.

Yeah, I think that’s pretty much it from me.

Are you sure about that? If you jump, and Mika does Wingless Airplane on reaction, she throws you the instant she touches you in the air. It goes fairly quick even if it’s not EX… I dunno if you can hit her on reaction. It seems like it’s a legit AA for Mika. I’m watching DaigoTheBeastTV right now, and Eita’s Ken is getting AAed on reaction by Fuudo’s Mika with regular Wingless Airplane.

And as I’ve said before, that move has AAed me out of divekicks before. I still think this move makes it hard to jump in on Mika.