Bold canceling...harder than it looks...or easier?

Didn’t his day 1 Bnb do like 500k? People though that was a lot of damage at the time, then deperine and the dhc glitch got discovered. Anyway I digress, Im gonna have to actually sit down and learn dante in this game, spent about 20 minutes learning the bold cancel reverb shock and its really not as hard as it sounds on paper, the link is pretty lenient(considering I been struggling with SF 4’s 1 frame links for like 2 years prior), its just the actual motion I gotta get used to now.

if you can do his cold shower stinger> :d::atk::s: :d::s: teleport cancel you shouldnt have much trouble learning this one pretty much :stuck_out_tongue:

it was actually about 600k, that was alot of damage for just a BnB and when the otg extension of it was added it went from 700k~900k depending on the variation and in vanilla Dante was like “lulwtfisahitdecay” he broke barriers of even up to a mil with no x factor and just assists.

Thanks, I was prolly gonna run into problems with that so good to have a tip to fall back on.

I’d suggest doing the full inputs. I’m also new to Dante and it took me about 10 minutes to get it right at least once then about one hour to get it consistently. Also if you do the right combos you don’t even need to bold cancel to get damage but those combos won’t give you as much meter.

Consider it a 2-in-1. Buffer the motion while you bold cancel. You should practice Stinger into Drive until you start understand the timing since that’s the easiest thing to BC into. Also, I suggest doing full inputs, much more reliable than any shortcut. The only shortcut I can offer for Volcano is to keep holding forward from the Stinger and then continue to do the rest of the motion while you BC so half of the motion is already done. Hope I could help.

I do the full command. so if you do LMH, 6H you really need to just make the S+L or S+M basically part of your 6H input. Then just roll down to 2,3 then M to do the ground punch.

It really just takes some hand practice. It took me like a day to get the timing down and another week just to master the bnbs in training mode. To be honest it’s hard to do on command in tournies under pressure, so make sure u keep practicing.

to be honest doing this doesnt make you a dante pro it just shows you have good execution, i wouldnt risk doing this all the time specially online when your inputs lag and your forced to drop it anyway, its better to just go for his bnb or one of his other fancy combos. id go for winning the match instead of whiffing something due to pressure / lag. i mean after all its just 1 combo. like…you wouldnt know how happy id be if i was able to tiger knee cancel my volcano into his Icy NunChuk move online all the time.

I’ve been struggling with the same thing to be honest with you it just doesn’t seem possible. (I’m on a hori stick by the way). I have noticed that if i do stinger and then do the Z motion A and then M it seems to work but I’m not sure how legit that is.

Well, it won’t make you a pro, but bold canceling can be used for way more than just combos, it’s a part of Dante’s movement and his means to get in. You don’t absolutely need to learn this, but if you really want a solid Dante, you will definitely have to put in the practice to make it happen. Plus, this also helps Dante when he’s by himself and can’t rely on assists to apply pressure or get in safely.

I find that whenever my bold cancel doesn’t come out properly it’s because I have input the commands too quickly. I end up cancelling Standing Heavy instead of Stinger.

I find a great way to learn / practice the bold cancel is just do:
Standing H
Stinger
Bold

Do that repeatedly until you get the timing down then try adding the Volcano at the end.

This is what I needed to see I am having trouble my self pulling this off but now I am going to go at it again and see if I can get it down I am new to fighting games and I just picked the game up a week ago I got weskers BNB down which is a great feeling I am playing on a stick

Nice to see im not the only one having trouble with this lol. I can do the bold cancel into volcano sometimes but im just not consistant with it.

What attack should I use for the Bold Move? I know all of them + special = Bold Move, but which would be easier to link into Volcano?

I always use L+S

I’m a pad Dante player. Bold cancelling took me ages to learn. Maybe two or three weeks with about half an hour of practice each day. But I did it. I can bold cancel now. And it’s so satisfying to do it. If you’re trying to bc on a pad, I would recommend using R1 as your attack button. I tried to use L1 at first, but I switched to R1 because pressing two buttons simultaneously with two fingers on the same hand is much easier than with two fingers on separate hands. I have R1 set to M+H, just for efficiency. Why have separate buttons for supers/dashing/pushblocking and for bold cancelling when you can use the same one?

It depends, I always use :l: + :s: but thats because the first thing I learnt to bold cancel into was reverb shock, some people find it easier to do :h: + :s:. Some people use w/e attack they are BCing into i.e. :m: if they are going for volcano, :l: if they are going for reverb shock, etc. But that requires too much thought for me, Im more comfortable just picking one and going with it.

It’s also easier if you have the right button config in a fightstick.
Everyone should just quit the standard and use

:m: :h: :a1:
:l: :s: :a2:

Two fingers can do all the work very easily.
Its also MVC2 style :lovin:

I think that the problem is that you are trying to input that command directly after hitting stinger, what you should be doing is buffering the input up to the point where stinger hits the opponent.

If you can chain the first two moves (Stinger - Rising Sun) of Vergil mission 10 then you can Bold Cancel into Volcano with Dante. It’s the exact same movement and timing, the only difference being that with Dante you press Bold command (L + S) in-between.

Anyone struggling with Bold Cancel / Volcano with Dante should try this.