BLAZBLUE: Q&A For newcomers (PLEASE POST/CHECK HERE BEFORE MAKING A THREAD!)

It’s probably character specific but how useful is guarding, instant guarding, barrier, and instant barrier? in a general sense I mean which should I be using more of? in the few vids I’ve seen it seems barrier is rarely used (I guess that 1 extra recovery frame is a big deal?) and instant guarding I guess relies on how well you can anticipate like just defending in cvs2 or parrys in 3s?

The zetaboards site says barrier burts ONLY stops the opponent’s attack but the sticky on srk says it also makes you do a little more damage for the rest of the round, since you get 1 everyone does that mean whenever either you or the opponent is low on life you should use barrier burst since you get it back next round anyways?

What’s the use of rapid cancel? is it there for resets since damage scaling makes big combos worthless?

To tech in aie I just press a,b, or c after being hit but does this work for getting out of combos or just single attacks? and if not then is there another way to get out of a combo without barrier bursting? and how do I ground tech?

In general how useful is counter assault?

WTF is projectile attribute attacks that are invincible to projectiles? and how does this seemingly complicated attribute mechanic integrate into gameplay? it seems like a lot to keep all this shit in mind PLUS thinking oh that cr forward has foot invincibility! lol.

How does the clash system work? is it when both player hit each other with the same normal at the same time? and if so what determines who gets the frame advantage?

This is probably character specific but if the longer a combo goes the less damage it does then what’s the right balance?

Sorry for all the newbie questions:sweat:

Barrier is useful for negating chip damage, keeping the guard libra static, and pushing the opponent back further (but not marvel far).

Instant blocking is best used against readable attacks to shorten your block stun, gain meter while defending, and punish. It’s very similar to JD from cvs2, but an important thing to remember is that you can “red JD”, which is similar to red parries in 3s but a lot safer. So if someone likes to end his blockstrings with Jin’s ice car, you can IB only that last hit and punish him hard for it.

Instant barrier isn’t used often since it’s harder to do but will give you some significant meter gain if you can manage to do it.

Generally, you’ll want to burst when you’re low on life since you get 1 every round. But some people expect that and will bait it and punish.

Rapid Cancel is mainly used to extend combos and make unsafe moves safe. For example: You can do Ragna’s DP and RC it if the opponent blocks. Since you’re still in the air, you can attack with an aerial immediately and continue your pressure.

Counter assault usefulness is character dependent. Arakune’s is a throw, Noel’s is a roll, etc. But everyone can benefit from having pressure taken off of them i.e. getting out of the corner.

Projectile attribute and projectile invincibility is nothing new. Ryu’s fireball is projectile attribute. Blanka’s EX ball is projectile invulnerable. Noel’s 5d is projectile invulnerable during the startup and attacks with a short range blast that has a projectile attribute. Every character has a few of these worth mentioning, and it adds a lot of depth to the game. If you can do it in SF, you can do it in BB.

See the stickies for understanding how to tech and how clashing works.

Finding the right balance for combo damage and length depending on the situation is exactly what everybody is trying to figure out in character threads.

I was told the console version would have more colors per character from the arcade. If this is true, how do you access/unlock them?

here’s a quick question. Some of the Astral Finishes are 720 motions. are there shortcut motions in this game or am i subjected to buffering it on a jump?

Instant guard and barrier can create openings in blockstrings. Which is indeed specific to the situation. If you have a fast jab or a good reversal, instant blocking can give you the one frame you need to DP out of someone’s chain-jab blockstring. Or give you enough frames to punish an otherwise unpunishable move.

Barriar, I’ve litterally never used in BlazBlue. But in Guilty Gear, barrier can pushback your opponent far enough to give characters with slow attacks or no reversals a chance to jump away or squeeze in a counter attack of their own. There are also certain blockstrings that if you barrier at certain points, they get pushed back enough that their next attack whiffs.

In BlazBlue, when people use barrier against me, I’ve notice that the pushback is much stronger then in Guilty Gear.

Again, it’s all specfic to the situation. If I don’t intend to barrier, then I’m always trying to instant block. Get dat meter.

Yeah, no reason to save your barrier.

Rapid cancel cuts off whatever animation, returning you back to a ready state to do whatever else you want. Keep pressure, bait a burst, start a combo, extend a combo, make an unsafe move safe, etc.

Imagine if you could instantly recover from Ryu’s hurricane kicks when ever you wanted. You can RC in the air and now you’re ready to bust out a short, for the overhead, or land and sweep for the low, or just throw them. Think of SF4’s FADC, but with out the dash and you’re not limited to just canceling ground moves.

tapping a, b, or c is how you tech. You can tech forward, neutral, or back; by leaning the stick forward, neutral, or back. Same for ground techs. You can also quick ground tech by tapping a, b, or c as your body touches the ground, but you can only tech neutral in this way.

definition of a combo:

• Combo
  • n. - A series of hits that, once the first connects, the rest will connect without giving the opponent the ability to defend at any point. Some games have moves that act as “Combo” breakers, but most do not.

short of you opponent failing to execute, bursting is the only way out of a combo. Should your opponent fail his combo, you can tech. If the combo is over and doesn’t end in a knockdown you, can tech. If the combo does end in a knockdown, then you can quick ground tech. If the combo ends in an untechable knockdown, then you can only ground tech.

If you are having trouble teching, try tapping to each hit of your opponent’s combo, but time your taps to just before your opponent’s hits connect. Or you can just mash.

Characters who lack fast jabs or decent reversals tend to have to rely on counter assaults. Characters who gain meter like candy or don’t have much use for their meter might burn their meter on counter assults. Sometimes a well placed counter assault can disrupt your opponent’s flow. Or sometimes a character’s lockdown is so tight, you either use a counter assult or you sit there blocking for a really long time.

I’m not sure I understand the question. Some moves have the projectile attribute attached to them. And some moves have the anti-projectile attribute. A projectile can’t hit a character during anti-projectile frames. Regardless of where on their sprite the projectile touches. This is the same for all the other attributes and anti-attributes.

This is different from traditional invincible. Where if someone has upper-body invincibility, you can still hit them if you aim your attack lower/deeper.

A clash happens when ever an attack’s attackbox overlaps with another attack’s attackbox, without any attackboxes overlapping hittableboxes.

A combo is a combo. Get your guaranteed damage where you can.

Do you want to finish your opponent in 2 or 3 combos (or 1 combo!)? Or do you want to finish your opponent in 20 to 30 pokes? To put it another way: Do you want to have to outplay your opponent 2 or 3 times? Or do you want to outplay your opponent 20 or 30 times?

Quick Question…

How is the game setup to taunt in the arcades?

I’m using…

A B C
D X X

as my setup and I have every other button unregistered. I’d like to add in taunts…what button should I use/how should I set it up?

Thanks

In the arcade taunt is the ‘start’ button …

If you need taunt like say for taokaka’s combos and have the start button at the back of your stick like some customs or the madcats TE I would use the unused button under you ‘C’ …
feels more comfortable that way, at least for me … way like GG or MBAC

Thank you

I have it under my C/D button.

A B C
D x T

B C D
A x T

2 Questions:
In the console version, within the Options Menu, there is an option to change it between Console and Arcade setup. What does having it on arcade actually change?

What is different about Unlimited characters?

how the heck does color select work? Is it something i have to unlock?

hit your start button over a character

Wondering the same thing.

boss characters basically.

Are they the new “gold” characters a la GG?

is there a BB “key” somewhere? on dustloop I see things like “JBC” and “JC”, maybe they’re character specific or something but I have no clue what it means…

http://www.dustloop.com/ggac/data/conv.html

thank ye. :karate:

I’m a new player to the guilty gear/BB style of fighter and I have no idea where to start, I can feel the depth of the game and it’s overwhelming since I’m starting from scratch.

Anyone have any advice for a player getting into BB? What should I start with?

edit: I’ve also been looking at dustloop.

double edit: and how do you jump cancel?

How difficult would this be to play on a ps3 controller? I think it’s 4 buttons, right? Also, are the inputs really strict(harder to do on a crappy pad)? If it’s 4 buttons, I could possible play using the tekken style of index and middle finger.