Birdie General Thread: The Banana Bogey Brawler

I won’t lie … what happens to his opponent if his super is the finishing hit and pulling a giant donut out of nowhere for his victory screen made me laugh …

He looks nothing like rufus, rufus just looked like a beach ball with arms and legs didn’t even look human.
Birdie looks exactly like what he is a fat man, i hated birdie in alpha and if he was the same in sf5 as he was in alpha i wouldn’t have even bother touch him, but now i actually want to give birdie a whirl.
good job capcom, hopefully the rest get the same treatment, where i was a bit disappointed with ryu chun li (not so much chun li because she looks really interesting to use) and cammy, you got new bison new nash and new birdie, i can’t really complain

They made Birdie into a British Homer Simpson D:

I dont really get the dislike for birdie, and I agree with you. I posted above that I think his new design adds to his character. A big hulking thug that is more concerned with just being massive rather than having a ripped 8 pack. The comparisons to rufus are just stupid and uneducated. He looks nothing like rufus at. Fact.

I think most of the Birdie haters are just butthurt character loyalists throwing their spaghetti bowls on the ground over him getting in first. Its obvious this is gonna be a DLC style game where plenty of characters will be coming for a long time.

Hmm… I didn’t like Birdie before but I’m starting to like him now.

I think I might give him a try. Besides, he’s the only grappler we’ve seen in the game so far and there’s no indication that any of my previous mains might return (Zangief/Hugo).

I like how they gave him an item toss manuever in his V-Skill. This is usually something you see in mostly zoning characters (e.g. Faust) or the occasional rushdown characters (e.g. Lei-Lei), but I don’t ever recall seeing it with a grappler character. Also, while he doesn’t have the same variety of items as Faust, Lei-Lei, or Teddie, he can control which on comes out. I can imagine both the banana peel and the can can be used to set up some interesting traps, especially with the new “get over here”-like chain special.

Nash, Birdie and Bison are by far the best work capcom has done reimagining old characters. Ryu and Chun i can somewhat understand. But Cammy has no excuse for still looking sf2.

Birdie looks like he will have alot cheap shit to troll noob to intermed players. Looking forward to the rage messages.

I said they’d add Birdie. Haha new main incoming!

I’m wondering if the drink can (low hitting projectile) is slow enough ( and if he recovers fast enough) to create high/low unblockable …lol … wonder if the drink can travels like Taokaka’s bowling ball or Teddie’s Barrel ?

Just like the banana peel, the drink can feels like a new kind of projectile for a Street Fighter game. ( First projectile that actually hits low ?)

Just saw fuudo use it for meaty pressure. But he doesn’t’ recover fast enough to do much after that i think.

I think you’re exaggerating a bit. Birdie is hefty (mostly love handles and his gut, no man-boobs), but Rufus was like 90% stomach and it was constantly bounding about even if he was knocked down. Birdie’s SF5 model doesn’t have that round and nearly shapeless body aesthetic; he’s still rather muscular in the arms and legs, and majorly muffin topping if anything, but he is surprisingly well-animated.

I gotta say I’m eager to try him out now that he’s got all the changes to his controls; I’m okay with 360s, I kinda suck with them, but I think I can really do some stuff with all the new V-skills and his specials.

Tokido is playing Birdie in the E3 tournament.

Birdie confirmed top tier.

(seriously Birdie looks really good. Well designed grappler it seems)

Why did Birdie eat Earthquake?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/samuraishodown/ss6-15.png

All those oink noises he kept making made Birdie hungry, so he sent him to heaven…buffet style :smiley:

I still really dislike his fatness at the very least on principle.

But his gameplay looks fantastic. Knowing capcoms track record though, this is his “shin” version and he will be heavily nerfed come console time :frowning:

BECAUSE WHEN IN DOUBT, PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH

…is what you should tell the ladies. =V

Also if that’s what it takes to become a good character, then screw Earthquake and go Birdie.

He looks nothing like Rufus in terms of design. All he shares with Rufus is the fat gut. Other than that, his image is that of a retired wrestler/street thug who has let his body go. He still has that massive intimidating frame to him that we saw from the Alpha series. In terms of gameplay? I couldn’t be happier. Half circle command grabs are more intuitive with this pacing of Street Fighter this iteration. His items and whole V-Trigger mode are awesome. I can’t wait to play with him and as we saw from the EG vs RZR vs Madcatz tournament, he looks like a lot of fun.

I thought I should add that they said 360 moves won’t be in SF5. What that means for Zangief or whatever grappler is in the game is up in the air. Maybe they will make SPD a half circle. Maybe they will go the Mike Z route and make it a Half Circle + forward motion. Who knows.

There aren’t 360s for him so you should be good to go. Command grab is a half circle now.

It’s obvious Ono has a sort of fetish for fat, grotesque men.

At least he chose the most fitting SF character to turn into.