Basic frame data guide for newbies

How do to measure a frame in practice and if necessary which hardware is used to this?

Okay so I have question about Chun Liā€™s ultra 1 (atleast I think it is). I know that itā€™s very good for punishing fireballs, but can it punish a full screen range (or what you call it) hp fireball from ryu, or will the ryu have time to block?

I have no idea if this was the right place to post my question. I just didnā€™t want to make a new thread.

Yes, Chun-Liā€™s Ultra 1 can certainly punish a full screen fierce Hadoken from Ryu. Ryuā€™s Hadokens all have the same recovery, regardless of the strength of the button (excepting Shakunetsu Hadoken, which starts up faster and recovers faster). So, if a Chun player gets a good read, or just has incredible reactions, as long as Hosenka is activated right as the Hadoken appears on screen Ryu wonā€™t recover before Hosenka connects. Hosenka is actually fast enough that the Chun player can activate relatively late, and still get a punish, same if Ryu throws Shakunetsu (itā€™s faster on start up and recovery, but Hosenka will still win [though, personally, no Ryu should be throwing full screen EX Hadokens at a crouching opponent, thatā€™s a waste of meter]).

For future reference, this is something thatā€™s remarkably easy to test for yourself: set the dummy to Ryu and record it throwing an Hadoken (or whatever move you might want to punish) and block the second the move comes out. Then set yourself to Chun-li (in this case) and practice trying to punish the fireball at different timings and distances to see whatā€™s possible.

Are there any good apps on mobile devices that you can use for reference on the go? That would prove very useful to me as I look forward to going to Next Level Arcade a bit more often to gain some experience against real people.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fullmeter.fat

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bradygames.comusfivofda

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultra-street-fighter-iv-official/id880087295?ls=1&mt=8

Disclaimer: I havenā€™t used any of these personally. The first link I found on Reddit (hereā€™s the thread: redd.it/27gzen. The second (android) and third (iOS) are the oneā€™s Iā€™ve heard commentators plugging as the Official Frame Data App.

In terms of frames, yes itā€™s technically possible. Whatā€™s limiting you here is the range. U1 will still technically hit at max fullscreen range, but itā€™s gonna hit with Chunā€™s tippy toes so itā€™s possible that the legs portion will fail to link.

But yes itā€™s possible. Itā€™s easier to go with dash ultra from max range because it still punishes and thereā€™s less chance to drop.

How many frames have fighting games PCB-based era, since SF2:WW until the last FG PCB-based? And about 3D FG since the first VF until the last 3D FG PCB-based?

Wanted to ask, how do character specific combos work? If Iā€™m reading e ryuā€™s frame right, his cr lp gives +5 on hit. On Rufus, you can link cr jab to cr hp, which is 6 frames. Also, cl mp cancels to a lot of his specials which we more than 3 frames. How does that all work out?

Character specific combos are because of hitboxes, not because of frame data.

The math checks out to me.

It does? I thought if itā€™s +5 frames on hit, you can only use moves 5 frames or less moves.

If itā€™s due to hit box, how many types of hit boxes are there? Or is that character specific? I ask just to understand how people come up with these combos.

Frame advantage gets calculated like: (amount of hitstun move causes) minus (all of the remaining recovery frames AND remaining active frames). The reason you can combo cr.lp to cr.hp is because Rufusā€™ hitbox is unconventional in that he reels further back on getting hit, and so when rufus is being comboed the jab will connect on the second active frame instead of the first, which means there is one less frame you have to wait for E.Ryu to recover so it acts like itā€™s +6 instead of +5 in that situation. (it would act like it has four frames of startup instead of three, however). Itā€™s the same principle that makes Bisonā€™s slide safe if he does it from far away but really unsafe if done very close. I have no idea how someone figured this out other than the natural result of many people playing the game for a long time and tons of motivation to look for anything that will give someone an edge.

cl.mp combos into his specials because it is a cancel and not a link. When you cancel, you skip most of the recovery frames so cl.mp would behave like itā€™s +14 on hit or something like that.

Thanks RCF. I see, I kinda get what you mean. I didnā€™t realize that the hitbox could make that much of a difference. This is one of the aspects of frame data that confused me.

Ah, alright. I didnā€™t realize that about cancels, or at least didnā€™t think of it that way. Thanks for the clarification.

Itā€™s possible create a formula to discover on hit/block and hit/block stun values without know these previously values, i.e., only with startup, active and recovery frames values?

does double tapping make unplinkable 1-frame links easier? According to the vesper arcade tutorials, they said that double tapping only works with links that are at least 2 frames, but I seen one of fur gagapaā€™s recorded matches and he will always double tap s.LK after cl.HP which is an unplinkable 1-frame link, and the link would connect

Itā€™s not possible to double-tap inputs so that they come out on consecutive frames. This is because pushing a button normally occupies 2 frames - 1 for pressing it and one for releasing it (negative edge). You can even try it with a macroā€™d joystick to confirm it. Since negative edge doesnā€™t affect normal moves, plinking is always better than double-tapping for 1f links. The reason Gagapaā€™s consistency with that link is so high is probably because of practice and familiarity with his own method.

now that i think about, he probably has the select button remapped to plink his s.LK. Because the select button doesnā€™t show up in the input display, it would look like heā€™s double tapping

Yes you re right. I use the select button method :wink:

What are the recovery frames on landing from a jump? Furthermore, are there different amounts of recovery for an empty jump compared to a jump HK?

Sometimes, in mid-air I think there is a good chance that Iā€™m going to whiff a cross-up, but I still

Funny i was just researching all of this for Ascension X when i ran into your page. Great resources book marking now.

Guys I have a question. I was looking up on Yangā€™s frame data and found things like 0+8, 0+6~32 in the active frame section. what do the + and ~ mean? Also I have hard time understanding what the parentheses mean: ( ), [ ].