Balrog General Discussion Thread

I picked up Elena as my third character and I noticed that too. A lot of Balrog’s most useful normals completely whiff against Elena crouching. I’m guessing it’s something to do with her low profile. Also the kick ender for Ultra seems to completely whiff on her but the other four attacks will hit. It’s going to be kind of interesting seeing what I can do with this matchup.

So how does boxer stack up in general now? The whole cast got changes so is he better, worse or the same as he was relative to his AE self? Or too early to tell?

He still plays pretty much the same. He still has the same bad matches and good matches. Still good at footsies but struggles to make comebacks.

As far as where he’ll be in the tiers it depends on whether the meta shifts to a more footsie oriented one like Capcom wanted or if people figure out new vortexes to account for DWU. If the game is more footsie based he’ll be a solid choice. If characters like Yun, E.Ryu, Viper, Ibuki end up being top tier like some are predicting than he’s gonna be a mid-tier with bad matchups against the meta.

Is it me or is Strong Buffalo Headbutt completely useless now? Jab is relatively safe on block and Fierce/EX is unchanged so what advantage does Strong have now that its only +2 on hit?

Headbutt? you mean strong overhead? yes and no. IF you can train an opponent to not attempt to punish lp.oh, its very possible you can get them to not punish mp.oh and by extension hp.oh which you have the opportunity to get a full combo off of (even a red focus combo). I personally think it’s really easy to tell the difference between an lp.oh and any of the others even if they have the same total number of frames with their unique hit/block modifiers, but that’s just me.

also +2 on hit (and keeping the mod in AE that put him closer to always get cr.mp on every character), you get the opportunity for different frame traps. lp.oh has the greatest reset potential though.

Ok, I’m pretty sure there was some kind of change to Balrog’s jumping roundhouse. It seems to be whiffing a lot during characters who are sweeping. I don’t remember seeing it get low profiled so much before ultra. Now it looks like a lot of characters can low profile it with just a sweep.

Hmm… I’d like to test it out later when I get home. But if you’d like, you can give it a go yourself: Just go into the training room and record an older version of Balrog doing a j RH that just barely hits a sweep. Then you can go back to char select and pick a usf4 Rog dummy to see if the recording still hits. :slight_smile:

I had this happen today with his jump roundhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2aXOurlrCE&feature=youtu.be

I didn’t think it was possible to hit a cross up.

Yeah. Stuff like that happens once in a while. I’m pretty sure RopeDrink posted up multiple videos of similar “cross ups” happening in previous versions.

It seems to be more likely due to Claw’s wider hurtbox during his attack animation than j hk crossing up. :slight_smile:

Yea it really depends on the move they throw and when you hit them. Awhile ago I jumped in on Oni and he pressed cr.hk and I crossed him up. I tested it out and Oni’s hitbox moves forward when he sweeps, and the jumping hk catches where he was before the move and the game auto corrects the side Balrogs on.

yeah you guys are right. It happened again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMnd6WHDwRw&feature=youtu.be

Hey all, now that I’ve started to get a taste for charge characters after playing Decapre I’ve been wanting to try out Balrog as a means to combat some of the bad matchups for the other characters I play (namely I play Hugo and Zangief). I know Balrog had a rather evenly average spread of MU’s across the board in previous versions only really doing particularly bad against grapplers and the like.

Any general advice for some DO’s and DON’T’s as Boxer or any video guides perhaps to help get a better mindset on how to approach. I’d like to get a decent understanding before diving too deep into the major problem MU’s for the grappler characters I play as like Guile, Seth and Gouken.

Don’t do wakeup headbutt or full screen dash punch

Those videos don’t seem to be working for me.

They just show Boxer jumping in, hitting someone with j. Hk, and then landing on the other side.

It only happens if you manage to hit someone as they’re sticking out an attack with wider-than-usual hurtboxes, so there are virtually no practical tactical applications. Just something that happens accidentally once in a while.