ARcades in Taiwan?

Saving up for another, only got one fake Tekken 5 Hori.

alright cool i will be in Taipei in a few days. hope to see some of you out there…

which arcade was good for cvs2 again? was it none still? =(
come on lets play

I checked all over the underground mall and found nothing. Then I went back to this thread and found out that GM moved to a new location near the mcdonalds. I checked the areas of BOTH mcdonalds and there was no arcade. I went to Dino World (which is now called Tom’s World for some taiwanese reason) and while they have ddr supernova and freaksv3, there were no capcom fighters. As usual, it was all KOF…

Where is the street fighter in this city??? Well at least I got a lot of exercise. Help please? :sad:

i live in Taiwan

it’s kinda boring…all they play is KOF

pisses me off a lot!

i only play street fighter

i might be trying out ot play guilty gear sometime

i live in kaoshuing(???) really boring down here!! :arazz:

damn that sucks. Kaosiung is hella far…and yeah, I’ve only found one SF2 cab in all of taipei. OH yeah and one MvC2 machine in Banciao, but it was at one of those 18+ arcades. I’ve looked everywhere…Taiwan does not play capcom :sad:

Ok. So I’ve found Adventure Club (Shandao Temple exit 6 on the MRT) and I met like 5 people that play CvS2 so that’s a good and healthy number. The competition is pretty decent! They know all the combos and have pretty decent footsies, albeit a bit on the turtle side concerning Bison…If anyone is in need of a street fighter fix while in Taipei I can show you where we gather 09-3047-8201

They use nice Hori sticks but I’m still not used to them. Last time I was there, someone was playing with a Wii and a few others were playing other mech type games…it’s a nice geek retreat ^_^;

im only know how to paly with PS2 controllers…i really need to near how to play
woth arcade sticks…i’ve used an hori stick and i was hard to do moves cuz the restricter was 8sided and i could’t do my moves… i think i should use a round restricter

Oh wow, is that easy to switch out? I think a round restricter would help me out as well. But…I don’t wanna mess around too much cuz the sticks belong to the owner of the place. Right now I’m in Korea but I will be back in Taiwan in February; got any plans to go to Taipei? What are you up to in Kaoshiung?

im usually playing 3s at my friends house cuz we hate KOF haha

im only 15 so i dun think i’ll be goin to Taipei

i just wanna find an arcade that i can play 3rd strike in

cuz playing at home with the comp is boring as hell…

about the restricter thing i checked come threads in SRK forums and i think it is possible the change because they do sell restricters online

i might be buying a Playstation 3 when it’s Chinese New Year so i’ll defenetly
buy a Hori Arcade Pro 3!

you got and MSN?? let’s talk more on MSN ^^

miss the hot girls in skirts/boots

room 18 is the shit

make sure you catch bikini nights

Don’t go to MoS unless you absolutely know it’s gonna be packed, cuz then it’ll just be decent. The place is habitually empty despite its huge floor space. Waste of money. Haven’t tried Room 18 yet since I’ve been going to hole-in-the-wall bars. Luxy has been good to me if I ever wanna club like that

I think the Koreans do the short skirt/boots thing better but anyway…

I might not be here for as long as I thought after all because of the racist job market. But I would definitely like to give a shoutout to my AC homies. AC stands for Adventure Club (haha I know I know) which is basically a nerd’s paradise: 4 SONY Wega TVs, all the next gen systems (360,wii,ps3) and a lot of ps2 slims and even some old (but good) consoles such as Sega Saturn. The place is decorated with geek stuff such as comic books, mech/anime models, magazines from Japan (including all of the SBO programs, which is sweet), and best of all, pretty good competition.

One of the guys (his name is BOB) actually went to SBO in 2002. He’s got a good old-skool rushdown in the vein of Ohnuki but can also execute a fair number of new-skool A-groove cheap stuff. There’s another guy who calls himself Comby and he speaks pretty good English and is a native Taipei guy. He’s pretty decent at CvS2, and surprisingly extremely knowledgable about the game…he knows all the combos and pixel data, frame stuff, etc…Of course, the 3s scene is bigger but I don’t play that. They also play some of the other asian fighters such as Melty Blood and of course KOF. But yeah this place is awesome. All you have to do is pay for a beverage (30 NT) and you get to play all day. Just don’t piss off the boss and you’re in.

I feel lucky to have stumbled upon the place. Great atmosphere and great equipment (at least 3 hori sticks at any time of day; sometimes the regulars bring their own sticks which are also horis), it’s gonna be hard to beat.

Take the Blue MRT line to Shandao Temple Station and get off at Exit 6. take your first left and make another left at the corner onto a relatively quiet street (BeiPing Rd.). It’s the building with the umm…red flag on the door. Just peer in the windows (not on Mondays cuz it’s closed) and you’ll see it.

The reason I’m posting all of this up is cuz this is a great place and I would want my fellow SF players to see the hidden talent that Taipei has. I might not be here much longer and didn’t want to see this place go unnoticed.

Adventure club > any arcade in norcal.

How often do you go there? I might go back if I go back to Taipei, but I’m not sure if you will still be there at that time.
and why don’t you teach English? always jobs in that field.

Ah. I am in Korea right now. The job I have here pays infinitely better than anything I could have gotten in Taiwan. I dunno if you know about tealit.com but that’s where a lot of English teaching jobs are posted and they all pretty much suck. Plus, I’m an ABC, which is not what the Taiwanese parents are paying for. You probably know what I’m talking about…but yeah, I’m gone. I will definitely miss Taiwan though; it has such an endearing charm despite the pollution and traffic.

The horror stories about teaching English used to always come out of Korea. The roles are pretty much reversed; Taiwan is becoming less and less of a “great secret” and more like a static gulag with dwindling wages…while Korea has cleaned up its act and is paying much better. (79200 NT a month basically, with free apt, try finding that in Taiwan)

If you go to AC, be sure to tell the guys I said hi! :slight_smile:

Wow, makes me sad to hear another example of how Taiwan’s economy is sucking ass. But it’s cool that you found a better job, that’s a lot more than what my Canadian friends were getting in Taichung…

I actually just heard that Adventure Club had to move (or close?) from my taiwanese friend who plays 3rd. I’m not too surprised though since I hardly ever saw anyone buy anything there besides food.

So is the Korean arcade scene better than Taiwan’s non-existant/dying scene? I know they’re awesome at tekken, but anything else?

What??? No way! That’s some tragic news…but yeah, was it supposed to be a business? I thought the “boss” owned the place and did it for a hobby or something…but I never thought to ask. Aww man that makes me sad. The community already had to move a few times…Combie was telling me a brief history of how they had to move from GM because the owner lost focus…

I’m still pretty new to Korea but I saw a few arcades here and there. I don’t play Tekken so I wouldn’t know if they were good or not, but yeah the arcades are lacking in the Capcom department…

Nowadays the PC bangs in both Korea and Taiwan are filled with mmorpg types, but Korea still plays Starcraft (of course), and a game called Sudden Attack, which looks like SFOnline…maybe they’re the same game? I dunno I never really checked it out…

AC moved to another place, it didn’t close down, but it did downsize so it no longer has room for those 4 wegas, kind of sucks but the rent of a shop on ground floor of that size is really high around that area, so the boss (z+) had to make some changes.

Arcades in Taipei has been suffering for a long time now, every since Chen Sui Bian was the mayor of Taipei (I think 14 years ago) and decided that arcades were bad for the teenagers. Everyone who needed their capcom fix has had to resort to small gatherings in shops that were generous enough to let people play on their TVs. These shops however has learned that what they make a bulk of their profits off aren’t from the drinks, food, etc ordered by the people playing, but rather the goods they sell from the internet. So they no longer need such a big place to do their kind of buisness, it’s a shame really because these places have become a great open public place that you didn’t just play games, but rather a hangout place for many of us.

Things aren’t completely over though, this April, the government in Taiwan has a bill that if passed will make getting a license in operating arcades much easier than before, finally the ignorance that seems to be in these policitian’s minds that video games=gambling games are finally over. The first place that probably will open first is the Dino World in Ci-Men-Din (???), it’s a good chance 3S will be there.

But right now if you want to play 3S, you have to come to our home gatherings, we play on PS2 with 2 Hori’s Real Arcade Pro, they’re kind of hard to get used to if you’re an American player, but they’re about the best joystick you can find to use at home. If you don’t know who to call, or when do we have these gatherings, just P? me and I’ll give you all the info you need.

BTW if anyone plays Marvel in Taipei and are looking for competition, PLEASE PM me, I love this game but no one plays here.

P.S: Mogri are you Chris that used to play Oro in our ranbats, if you are then hi, and where the hell have you been, not in Taipei anymore?

Larry?
My name’s Matt by the way, and I did play a really shitty Oro back a few months ago in a few ranbats. I didn’t know you played marvel, man. Did you play while you were in the states?

Oh hey Matt, I do remember you, so you moved to Taichung huh? That’s kind of far in Taiwan standards, at least 2 hours away from Taipei. I used to play ALOT of marvel back in the US, almost on a daily basis if I can find people, do you play too? Maybe next time we can set something up, the 3S guys are all meeting at my place nowadays until we find a place that’s public and cheap to put our just bought cabinets in, Eric bought these 2 cabinets that looks so cool but it’s just sitting in my living room collecting dust because we still haven’t been able to set it up. Hopefully we can find a place faster, cabinet play should be more exciting.