AE Matchup Discussion: Abel, Adon, Akuma, Balrog, Blanka

I just got murdered twenty nothing against a high pressure akuma. Cr.mp, cr.mp xx demon flip… Repeat. Flip to st.mp, cr.hp xx fireball xx cr.mp xx ex.tatsu, srk… Etc… Trying to antiair that close range is impossible for me. St.hk wiffs, upball whiffs. Mashing elec is stupid. Focusing his dive results in nothing, mainly because he always dived in shrouded in air fireballs. Any time I went to slide a two hit st.hk I was too block stunned to get it out in time. St.hp is a good close range shutdown, but as a close range anti air it just comes out to slow, already crossed up before it’s active. There was slight lag but his dive to normal pressure seems impossible to escape. Anytime I was getting anywhere he just xx flip.throw resetted me or dive whiff to buffered demon ultra. Save me Ves. :frowning:

Me too i have troubles against a Gouki with a high pressure.

Just in training mode. Seems like a quick nj.hp would have helped me. Hard to get into my head that it’s like Blankas standing shoryuken. Any time I went to jump out, up or ex.ball away he had a reset or covering option. Proper little Tokido mofo.

Demon flip “resets”(i use this term loosely, they are bad) are actually easy for Blanka to tag, you just need to have the reaction times to upball them. You need to set the tone and let them know that they have to play smart offense vs. you.

I think you hit akuma in grounded recovery frames, but it’s so easy for him to do a fake palm, block then just ultra you. I just block safeish looking stuff, it’s not worth the risk vs. Akuma.

thx!

You can crouch Adon’s jaguar kicks and punish if your fast/psychic enough. If they spam them like most do and you need a safe option other than EX up ball.

Adon:

pretty much all Adon’s special loses to electricity except for rising jaguar…

if he does that jaguar wall dive kick thing, i usually just move backwards… it avoids both throws (you go out of range) and rising jaguar mixups then punish accordingly once you see the whiff.

my game against Adon is to use a lot of LP whiff ball into electricity to let him know it’s not easy to keep Blanka in one place, and to let him know that it’s not that easy to avoid electricity… once he realizes a bunch of his moves don’t work properly, he can poke properly, he can’t jaguar kick properly, he can’t wall dive against you properly and he’s gotta rely on lows… that’s when it opens up a bit more options to you…

I don’t think he can punish MP Ball without ultra… but it’ll be nice if someone can reconfirm.

once you have a life lead and ex meters… it’s kinda hard for Adon to so much to you… once again… reversal ex rainbow ball into ‘unblockable’ isn’t a bad choice of attack when combine with your other defensive options.

-LAU

the problem with whiffing balls is that good players will reliably keep the spacing to tag you out of them.

mp ball can be punished by lk jaguar kick, as can lp ball. You can lp safeball both, but doing so and being successful vs. the jaguar kick is hard cause of Adon’s goofy hitbox.

I like st.hk vs. all of his forward moving special moves, and doing preemptive crouches into electricity.

I think if you play gimmicky it doesn’t improve your chances of beating adon and playing solid and trying to use your reactions to keep him off of you is your best bet.

The far standing HP is good against his crouch LP ?

It can be, I think sweep is better though.

Hmm I dunno obviously if you can land the sweep it’s definitely better however I feel like boxer will use his sweep as well which I dunno if you can get in range for sweep vs c.lp like shown above. However I do feel s.hp is a safer choice against both the moves… That’s just my personal opinion… Sweep has better reward but a big higher risk IMO

-LAU

SSF4 AE - Blanka vs. Adon bug
Guys… it’s just me or have you ever noticed that after using jump cross mk -> cr.lp on Adon, on block string, cr.lp whiffs???
Someone, please, try this on training mode and confirm if I’m crazy…
Select Blanka and Adon on training mode, select All Block, and jump cross with mk and hit cr.lp in combo… it whiffs consistently for me depending on the distance of the jump.
I’ve tried other charactes and moves, but it seems to happen just with Blanka’s cr.lp (after a block string with cross mk).
Can anyone confirm that?
It bugs me because the piano fierce.elec doesn’t come out after the cr.lp and so, I can’t keep up the pressure.

yeah it happens on any deep jumpin vs. adon.

just do st.jab xx elec, st.lk xx elec

Wow, the lk whiff bug is STILL in the game!@?#!@?#!?@#?!@

That existed in vanilla, or something similar to it. After a crossup mk, if I did low mk, or low short, (cant remember now which, could even be both), often times the low attacks would whiff. If I remember correctly, I know I saw this happened against zangief, but it always seemed kinda random.

Welcome to SF4 hitboxes, woo hoo!

fought a really strong abel today… lost like 4-6… usually the match ends with me making one wrong guess and him going apeshit offense on me with resets, throws and other crazy shit… and i die…

but anyways… what i wanna bring out is… after step kick i tried doing LK rainbow but it got interrupted every single time with his standing HP…

with this match up i feel like ex rainbow plays such a big part it’s nuts… and i think s.HK is a pretty decent move to throw out in certain scenarios.

once abel’s got ultra… the game gets so tough especially when balls other than rainbow hitting abel will result in ultra.

-LAU

yeah lk rainbow is a terrible option against Abel’s who like to do dash st.hp.

Just crouch against guys who do that.

It’s useful against Abel’s who like to tt, normal throw, or do other weird stuff after blocked stepkicks though.

crouching against s.HP what will that do? does one of the hits whiff or something?

-LAU

yeah it causes the first hit to whiff, so then he can’t cancel to safety. The 2nd hit of st.hp is -4 so it’s free ultra or jab xx mp/ex electricity.

You think how is the wake up game vs Abel ? OS throws looks fine on him.