Abel Beginner Thread: "It takes more than brute strength..."

What I’m saying is if you do juggle with cr. fp and it trades sometimes and it pushes you so far apart that you can’t reach with the falling sky forcing you to use the sweep instead. I’m not sure we’re no the same page here.

I’m talking about hitting someone during the second hit of cr. fp, putting your opponent in the juggle status then dashing forward into FS or sweep, or just no dash and ultra.

I understand that you’re saying it “bounces” them too far away to land the FS. But, I’m saying I’m not sure if it’s most appropriate to go AA cr.hp > sweep. I’m saying I think–range permitting–AA cr.hp > f+mk might be more efficient.

Before I go on, just confirm for me that we are on the same page. Watch exactly 1:19-1:25 of the youtube video I provided in post #19, which shows what I’m talking about.

The problem with f+mk is that you don’t get the hard knock down - you get a reset. It seems like you two are on two different wave lengths here:

If you land cr.hp (hit or trade, it simply doesn’t matter) with the SECOND part of it’s animation, it will juggle. If you’re out of range for a dash up xx falling sky (like Bman is saying… sometimes you’re pushed too far back by a trade to be in range) then you can sweep xx roll for a mix up and a hard knock down.

Also, I have to agree that Abel with Bman and say that Abel has GREAT AA - especially when you bring U2 into play. It might not be as single minded as Ryu’s MP Shoryu, but occasionally even Ryu has to adjust for spacing and use his normals instead.

This is a pretty good thread though… hopefully this, coupled with the Abel FAQ will serve the main purpose of keeping simple questions out of the match up threads.

Yes. I see what you’re saying. In that instance, he was knocked high. In other instances–like a deep jump-in–your AA doesn’t juggle that high. Instead, they sort of bounce off you. Making sense what i’m saying?

I’m targeting this to newer players, so I’m trying to figure out the best way ot explain Abel’s AA is more difficult that other members of the cast.

EDIT: 2:58, same video, for a visual of what I’m saying.

At the moment (and bear in mind that I am in no way an experienced Abel player, far from it!) I am finding that cr.mk is a pretty good AA, so long as they are not crossing up. If they are crossing up I generally either block or roll out of it.

I tried to mention that in the 2nd post. I’m slowly adding Abel’s normals. See if the description I posted matches your thoughts.

That’s because it hit with the FIRST hit (not the second) of cr.hp - which doesn’t juggle - it just resets them.

Right. I’m asking if you AA with the first hit of cr.hp, is following up with a sweep the best option? Or is there a better option?

Too many variables - it’s just another mix up you can either press the advantage with or defer to your opponent… probably not worth mentioning really - but for the record, personally, I always try to do cr.hp xx lk/hk roll - it gives you a free mix up and time to hit confirm whether you hit with the first or second hit of cr.hp

i thought this is a beginner thread, and then you include all the hitbox data and all hehe… i havent seen those data myself lol.

anyway, abel has great AA, they just happen to not be DPs and such. besides the ones you already mentioned, close s.lp, far s.mk, far st.mp, far st.hp, j.hp, h.hk, j.lp all can be used as AA.

I thought the images would be nice for newer players to see what the attack looks like. It doesn’t take a SRKer to understand red means you hit. :wink:

But, after playing with AAing after a 1st hit cr.hp, I’m finding that cr.hp (1st hit AA) xx mk roll > TT seems to be pretty damn reliable.

Regular normals coming tomorrow. Fixed a couple of things today. I think the current description of Abel’s AA in the OP seems a bit more appropriate. I suppose it’s better to say Abel has a learning curve.

btw, what’s h.hk? Lol.

If you just air reset them there is no one best option. So, you can just do whatever.

I’d like to add that after that, you’re at the perfect distance to either sweep (which you can roll cancel and pick what side you end up on depending on the strength), lk wheel kick or do another f+mk to add pressure. If you switch it up between these three you could force your opponent to focus on his blocking more and make it safer to attempt TTs.

Fair enough; guess it’s just another aspect of Abel’s mix-up. I’ll update cr.hk and cr.hp later today.

Cool shit. I’ll try this out really quickly later today and see how readily it links. It looks like it might not combo (s.lk has 5 frames of hitstun after recovery is all said and done, cr.hk has an 11 frame start-up). But, even if it just gets blocked and results in a roll > TT, that’s pretty cool shit.

Yeah it doesn’t link but it adds another layer to abels pressure game. Far lk > F+MK only has 3 frames in between so it could be considered a frametrap for anyone without a 3frame jab. Of course, all these options are prone to get beat out by reversals but at the same time, you can choose to just do nothing afterwards and punish their reversals but thats more something for someone who you play regularly. Also something thats really cool is that if you choose to sweep and someone attempts to DPs you, your hitbox is low enough to completely avoid it.

If I’m using f+mk as a frame trap I mostly use it after cr. lp since that has the most + frames on hit and block. You generally want to be able to catch people in the start up frames of their jumps.

On a similar note, a set up that I don’t often see for tick TT’s, is cr. lp X3 and then st. mk > FP TT. The st. mk will catch any jump attempt, and it will whiff if they do not jump or back dash. If it whiffs it will move you closer to your opponent so you will be in range for FP TT.

Sorry for the recent lack of updates. I’ll try to add some normals when I get the chance. Next week is my last week for class for a bit. So, I’ll have more time then.

as mentioned earlier in the thread he has solid aa i feel.a crouch mk with the proper distance is consistant to stop jump ins.also someone mentioned earlier if you can land a crouching fp as the other character is high in the air.abels elbow has to catch them at the highest point of their jump to allow fs or even dash under them to land on the other side to create even more mixups.

Agree. His AA is vicious. You can cr.mk xx roll to stop far jump-ins and roll mixup at the same time, cr.fp as your staple AA with possibility to juggle, cl.fp hits directly above you and also cancels into roll, and ex FS is so easy now.