A3: damage scaling factors?

Hahaha

Do you think this A in my ISM stands for FRANCE?!

What a quote which hide a way of hate about France. Itā€™s really immature and ridiculousā€¦
Also, the level in there is pretty high so please stfu when you donā€™t know the Fighting game community and do such comments, thanks.

Damage scaling is important in about every fighting game. Iā€™ll give you an example of Guilty Gear Accent Coreā€™s:

In GGAC, there is a very special type of damage scaling called ā€œProratingā€, a damage scaling different from GGACā€™s other, normal damage scaling. Prorating is the procentual reduction of an entire combo in terms of damage that a move, with the ability to prorate, does.

Now you have to know that only certain moves feature Prorating, not every move prorates. And not every prorating move prorates at the same rate. Most prorating moves scale down the damage of the combo when done at the beginning of the combo, i.e. as first hit. Prorating is a manipulative damage scaling, a scaling you actually can control and might even be able to take advantage of.

Letā€™s say you want to do the following combo X, A, B, C, D and letā€™s say that ā€œXā€ is a move that prorates the combo only if done as the first hit of the combo and that X scales down the entire comboā€™s damage for about *25%.

And letā€™s say that every move X, A, B, C and D does exactly 20 points of damage. Now, everyone, take out your calculators for some kick-ass math lessons with Sevenskirt:

20 + 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 = 100

Y = 100 - 25% = 75       Exclusion of GGAC's regular damage scaling

Letā€™s call the end damage ā€œYā€; Y like ā€œYES, I love mathā€

Now, I have to note that I have EXCLUDED the additional damage scaling for GGACā€™s combos in general, the scaling that counts for every move. I wonā€™t include it as I donā€™t know it and it would make things even more difficult than they already are.

If you did X, a move that only prorates the combo if done at the beginning, NOT at the beginning this would change Y (end damage) for the entire combo, it would change Y to YOUR FAVOR as it would do more damage to your opponent than Y if done with X at the beginning:

A + B + C + X + D = 100

Y = 100 - 0 = 100              Exclusion of GGAC's regular damage scaling

Now, the point of my comment is to show you how damage scaling can be crucial in an actual match against somebody and that itā€™s sometimes even possible to trick the game for additional damage (crouch-cancelling in SFA3) or even for damage prevention (Roll-cancelling in CvS2).

Thatā€™s why we do lots of research on this subject because it is part of a strategy.

*There arenā€™t any moves in GGAC with a prorating scale of 25%, that would be likeā€¦ Heaven AND Hellā€¦