A PCB box even a noob can make

Just as with the fightstick itself you really want to be more concerned with protecting the pcb from rattling. That’s how weak connections break.

I’ve never know anybody to be overly concerned with waterproofing.

In most cases, yes, you will need some kind of tool to cut the holes for ports into the housing. Especially if you are using db15. If your using something that is soft plastic then scissors or a razor blade should be fine. Something a little more robust like wood would require drilling or a dremel.

1 Like

I understand this is the redneck way of doing it, and it doesn’t look pretty, but then again if I wanted pretty, I wouldn’t have a plain white top on my custom joystick. So…

My brother suggested rapping bubble wrap around it and putting it in a shoebox. Especially if I know I don’t have to touch anything around the PCB once I know it works. Since these pcbs are outside the joystick anyway, and a joystick works without any venting holes therefore heat will not be an issue, what that, along with a “skin” (making the individual DB37 wires “veins”) on the db37 connector so you don’t touch the individual wires, work in essentially protecting the main parts.

Even though I admit it’s kind of thrift shop and redneck.

If I were to buy a realproject box, what prevents the PCB from moving around inside the project box, causing wear on the wires?

Only if you want static electricity to kill your PCB

There nothing there that makes this much heat, and if there is something already broken on the PCB
You aren’t going to get a lot of heat from a 5v 500ma circuit.

You use standoffs, screws, PCB feet, double sided tape, or self adhesive velcro.

Never with arcade sticks, outdoor weather stations sure, but nothing having to do with the arcades.
Also the sticks themselves aren’t water proof.

Okay that’s why I asked. My brother suggested the bubble wrap. But that was too easy a solution that there probably was a catch: bubble wrap causes static electricity.